It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are you waiting for SHTF?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
WHY wait until you are forced into a scenario to have to "hope" you have the right survival skills and have to learn on the spot how to cope??

Why not just start now, and be independent from the beast this society has become??

The more trips you make to walmart, and even the more meat, fruits and veggies you buy, the more you are feeding TPTB and letting them keep their power and control.

Start getting your veggies from farmers markets and use those seeds to start growing your own food NOW....

and for example, if you think you are going to need to flee by vehicle, why not grow a lot of your food in a greenhouse, but put that greenhouse on a trailer so it is ready to go etc??

I have lined my camper with plastic, so the majority of it is a greenhouse, without ruining the interior of the camper... and it has a dehumidifier on the outer area of the greenhouse etc.

We have a few solar panels and deep cycle batteries...

harvesting our own seaweed, and making a heck of a lot of "sushi" type meals where we don't need dishes or much cooking etc....

just start daily habits NOW that you would need if SHTF, and never went back....

Many think SHTF will be temporary, and they will be rescued..... well, what if it were permanent?

One way to be healthier, thriftier, better for the environment, and stop feeding the system, is to just start now as much as humanly possible.

JMHO...

Cheers!

mellisamouse

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Before I begin, let me say that I appreciate the ingenuity and resourcefulness that survivalism brings.

That being said, it is just simply infeasible for urban populations to survive without markets and readily-available food.

In less dense population centers, individual farming will have to become the norm for long term sustainability.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
speaking personally, i'm afraid planning of any sort is not my thing. i tend to proceed as conditions dictate. also, if the S truly hits the fan, i suspect a great many plans will come to naught, in the chaos that would ensue and the effects of said chaos on all aspects of society and, by extension, potentially the best-laid of plans.

although, as essentially a very lazy person, i would say that.

kudos, though, to those that do plan for the worst. some say any plan is better than no plan at all. i would respond; 'maybe, maybe not'. and i might well have made a mistake. i'll wait and see what happens and react accordingly.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
This saddens me...

I feel like so many people are just giving up and letting themselves be left behind for no reason...

Even living in paradise, everyone around here with their big money and conveniences, still always come to me for help, and I have just started to kind of dig my heels in a bit..

I am to a point where I wanna teach a man to fish, so they will stop asking me to fish for them, or ask me to teach them to fish when I am already busy fishing myself..

I just feel like people need to start taking their own initiative and get on it...

I don't wanna be lonely, I want everyone to survive and thrive....

people like this awesome chick, will be the only ones left, so super cool peeps, but I care about the rest too, who don't seem to care enough about themselves...

I am just feeling really sad knowing I will be fine, but I wont have a bunch of 30-60 year old dependents needing me like kinder gardeners anymore....

I don't wanna be selfish, but I don't wanna be an enabler either....

I have in the last few weeks had to tell a few different people in their 40's and one in her late 20's, that I will not be their new mom... it is scary...

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I have a few caches around..........2500k miles away

I'm screwed if I don't get busy eh?

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Personally, I've been planning for the worst and hoping for the best since the 90's. Don't get me wrong, I'm no expert, but I'm confident that I can survive in any environment that I'm likely to encounter here in the UK without suffering too much hardship. Even when I've lived in cities, I've always had plans for survival. And I owe it all to the men who have abused and hunted me my entire life and as a result, forced me to always have an exit strategy.

There comes a time when you have to ask yourself if you want to live or die and think seriously about the answer, because if the world we know was to cease to exist tomorrow, some of you may be better off dead because life will become something unspeakable and those of you who have not prepared on any level will just become dead weight to folks like me and we will not encumber ourselves with those who have nothing to offer us or the group in a survival situation.

I know it sounds harsh, but once you've had to fight for your very survival (as I've been doing my entire life) you'll understand the need to have useful people in your group rather than eaters and breeders who are good for nothing except wasting resources.

Remember, if nothing else, always have an exit strategy, because without that, you're as good as dead anyway.

Rev

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
i've got some supplies but when that runs out,
i'll eat other people.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by revmoofoo

too bad you are so far away!

I hear you entirely!!!

I am glad for my "rough life" in many ways too, cause if I grew up being a princess, I would be traumatized due to a lack of having a blow dryer or nail polish remover...

I feel like I am kind of cutting off the dead weight early I guess...

People have had years to get with it, and are still all about keeping up appearances instead of getting their act together in a practical sense....

I guess, I am feeling a little separation anxiety cutting people off of the boobie early so to speak, but if I don't do it now I will have a lot harder time turning them away when they are starving... I guess I am weening them so they can find new people to depend on, or God please! Learn to depend on themselves!

I feel so sad about it though... like I failed them by them still not knowing how to friggin fish on their own!

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mellisamouse

Where are you based, if you don't mind me asking? I'm somewhere near both Dartmoor and Bodmin Moor in the south of England.

I feel guilty too believe it or not. I'm not looking forward to killing my cats for food or euthanising my disabled wife when the medication that helps her say alive and comfortable runs out, but they're things I've thought about a great deal and while I've not made peace with these necessities, I do have a plan in place that I will follow if needs be and I pray every day that god will forgive me.

I think the thing that I worry about most is the possibility of having to take a persons life for no other reason than the fact that it'll be them or me. Don't get me wrong, my life has forced me to do many things that I'm ashamed of, but I've never killed anyone (though I have left many people for dead after defending myself) and I've only ever shot a gun at one person and I missed because I didn't account for the cross-wind...thank god.

We spend so much time thinking about the "things/items" we'll need for our survival, but how many of us think about how far we're willing to go, just to stay alive and how we'll deal with such things on a psychological level? IMHO, leaving yourself open to becoming a guilt ridden basket case is just as dangerous as not doing any of the other prep that everyone talks about.

I spend waaaaaaaay too much time thinking about this kinda stuff! lol

Rev

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

It isn't as difficult as you might think to grow food in the city. All it really takes is some planters by the glass slider or on the deck. A lot of kids do it with pot and a lot of women do it with flowers, so doing it with food plants isn't that different. Naturally the more land you have access to the more you can grow but even a little, in starving times, is better than none.
I won't get into the uses for all those stray cats and dogs.

www.urbanfarming.org...

www.ruaf.org...

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by mellisamouse

Why are you waiting for SHTF?

WHY wait until you are forced into a scenario to have to "hope" you have the right survival skills and have to learn on the spot how to cope??
Many who are preparing for such a scenario, are not simply waiting for it. It's more of an anxious anticipation. They crave it. They want it to happen. They cannot wait for it to happen. They don't want to prevent anything. Their panties get wet every time they watch Mad Max, or any zombie movie. [color=8F8F8F](You know who you are. Yeah, that's right, You. I'm talking to YOU!)

What most fail to realize, is that even if the proverbial '[color=E8AF88]crap' were to ever actually 'hit the fan', it would go undetected. Our entire livelihood is based upon that same '[color=E8AF88]crap'. Everything around you is built from that same '[color=E8AF88]crap'. The fan itself is made of that '[color=E8AF88]crap'.

If you were to throw a piece of '[color=E8AF88]crap' into a fan made out of '[color=E8AF88]crap', and it then splattered all over a wall built from '[color=E8AF88]crap', you won't be able to see the difference. It's all a bunch of '[color=E8AF88]crap'. Everything is '[color=E8AF88]crap'.

edit on 8/18/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by revmoofoo

I am in canada.... the mildest area in the country. We get about 2 days to 2 weeks of snow where I am.

I think this is good in some ways, fo free refrigeration, but crappy for people without a woodstove...

We are also verrrry isolated and you can only get here by boat, and most people here fish and farm, so if shtf here, I would see it as finally we can keep the crap outta here etc...

The only people I have ever thoguht of as me or them scenario, are people from the city, who come around ripping people offetc.... they dont uusually last long around here..... even without shtf yet, they usually get beaten to a pulp or run out of town by a mob pretty quick........

I have been told ever and over, if I need help, go to my friends, not the police etc....

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedmoonMWC
reply to post by DaTroof

It isn't as difficult as you might think to grow food in the city. All it really takes is some planters by the glass slider or on the deck. A lot of kids do it with pot and a lot of women do it with flowers, so doing it with food plants isn't that different. Naturally the more land you have access to the more you can grow but even a little, in starving times, is better than none.
I won't get into the uses for all those stray cats and dogs.

www.urbanfarming.org...

www.ruaf.org...

My point exactly! I am avoiding the city as much as possible, but if life forced me to have to live there again, I would have my camper green house, and every spare spot growwing edibles!

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Yup! You hit it square on there.... why not clean the crap away as much as possible, before you might be forced to drown it it, right??

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
You can catch wild hogs by putting up a section of fence and putting some food in it. A few days later and you can add another section and so on until the hogs think it's normal and one day they will walk through a gate to get their free meal and you can shut the gate behind them. Our freedom can be taken away a little at a time and we don't recognize it's gone until its too late. There are always going to be people around that want the easy way or just too dumb to see the fence going up.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
If it gets that bad and i'm eating roaches and my famlies dead. We*ll i dont give a damn to live exit p*lan
0ne in the chamber

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rede2go
You can catch wild hogs by putting up a section of fence and putting some food in it. A few days later and you can add another section and so on until the hogs think it's normal and one day they will walk through a gate to get their free meal and you can shut the gate behind them. Our freedom can be taken away a little at a time and we don't recognize it's gone until its too late. There are always going to be people around that want the easy way or just too dumb to see the fence going up.

Holy hell, isn't that the truth!

I guess, kinda like the frog in water thing....

Most of the frogs don't know the water is almost boiling because they have been sitting in there for too long....

I kinda "sheltered" myself for most of my life in some ways...not ALL, but SOME...

Jumped in a bit, got used to it, jumped out, then almost jumped back in a few times and ouch, it dosent work when you are outta there for long enough,

For me you can't get me near that pot just from the steam alone..... guess I jumped out before it was even warm though...

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
Before I begin, let me say that I appreciate the ingenuity and resourcefulness that survivalism brings.

That being said, it is just simply infeasible for urban populations to survive without markets and readily-available food.

In less dense population centers, individual farming will have to become the norm for long term sustainability.

I know others have already responded to this post, but I just wanted to point to a specific, concrete example: Moscow 1989-1995

As the Yeltstin government fell apart, commerce ground to a halt. As one of Russia's largest urban areas, You would think that most inhabitants would have starved. But instead they created a massive urban gardening campaign that kept the vast majority alive.

Honestly, it is unlikely that you will ever experience the complete collapse of your civilization, followed by a permanent power vacuum. Instead, a realistic scenario is a single shock, or series of jolts, to your economic system, followed by a period of rebuilding supply lines that have more redundancies built into them.

The difference between Russian and Americans is that most Moscovites had been gardening for several generations, before their collapse, so they had great local expertise. American urbanites will be comparative noobs.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I don't have the means to prepare for survival. When you are already barely surviving within the system, how are you supposed to put the money together to prepare for when the system collapses? So I guess if it ever happens then, I'll do what I have to, failing that I'll die. I'm not afraid of death so its all fine for me to sacrifice myself for the greater good. Have that Army conditioning still in me even though I'm no longer in the Army.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Why am I waiting for SHTF? Well, alls I got is time.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join