It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finding Lost Treasures Around the World....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Lost treasures around the world has always been something that I have thought about quite often especially when I have travelled to many countries around the world......

Like many people I have stood on a certain spot somewhere in the world and thought gosh, there could be something under my feet that could have been lost for ages and nobody has ever looked here...

Many treasures have been lost through the ages due to one reason or another, such as ships sinking or people burying treasure and then they are killed and then no one knows the true whereabouts of where the actual treasure has been buried....

My main question is, are there still Indiana Jones types of people who live their lives in search of lost treasure items?

Are there any people who already have great wealth, but spend their time in search of the treasure that was thought lost forever?

I know that there are still searches in the oceans for sunken ships and the like, but are there still expeditions who are funded or self funded who go out regularly searching for lost items?

If people happen to find such treasure, what are the legalities if you actually find something? Are you allowed to keep what is found or do you have to announce your findings and only keep a percentage of the wealth found? Or do you get nothing at all apart from the notoriety for what you have accomplished?

Do museums/governments get the first say in certain countries as to what you are allowed to have?

If anything is found is it best to keep your mouth shut and deal with it in the best way you think appropriate?

If there are such people who go on these expeditions, how do I join them? It sounds a lot more interesting than going to work for a pittance every day. I would rather do something more interesting and travel the world in the hope that something may be found......

I just wondered what info/experiences people had around this matter here on ATS. I am sure there are many of us who would like to be part of something that could be an experience of a lifetime..........

www.aquiziam.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Treasures a still found, big or small.

Here is one of the latest..

www.sci-news.com...

The treasure, more than 100 gold pieces weighing about 400 grams, is estimated to be worth more than $100,000. The coins were found hidden in a partly broken pottery vessel at the Appollonia National Park near Herzliya, the site where archaeologists believe the ancient Crusader town of Apollonia-Arsuf once stood.

Here is a thread of mine of the shipwreck SS Gairsoppa. Didn't go to well

www.abovetopsecret.com...

A shipwreck containing 200 tonnes of silver worth about £150m has been found in the Atlantic - the largest haul of precious metal ever discovered at sea.

JohnnyCanuck's thread about a treasure hunter setting of to Coco island, which isen't the first search there..

edit on 18-8-2012 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mianeye
Treasures a still found, big or small.

Here is one of the latest..

www.sci-news.com...

The treasure, more than 100 gold pieces weighing about 400 grams, is estimated to be worth more than $100,000. The coins were found hidden in a partly broken pottery vessel at the Appollonia National Park near Herzliya, the site where archaeologists believe the ancient Crusader town of Apollonia-Arsuf once stood.

Here is a thread of mine of the shipwreck SS Gairsoppa. Didn't go to well

A shipwreck containing 200 tonnes of silver worth about £150m has been found in the Atlantic - the largest haul of precious metal ever discovered at sea.

Wow, a shipwreck containing 200 tonnes of silver worth £150 million, that's unreal............is it true that anybody who finds stuff at sea is allowed to keep it? I wonder if that's true...........maybe we will find out later if anybody else adds to the thread...................cheers

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

is it true that anybody who finds stuff at sea is allowed to keep it? I wonder if that's true

From my thread.

The firm will retain 80% of the cargo's value under the terms of a contract with the Department for Transport.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mianeye
reply to post by davethebear

is it true that anybody who finds stuff at sea is allowed to keep it? I wonder if that's true

From my thread.

The firm will retain 80% of the cargo's value under the terms of a contract with the Department for Transport.

Well that's not a bad outcome is it? Think I may have to buy a ship...haha

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
hey guys,
this is what i would love to do more than ANYTHING! but i'm married so thats the end of that. lol.

but i can dream, and this is the one i would go after first: www.texasbeyondhistory.net...
www.stxmaps.com...
i'm in texas and i search for these wrecks several years ago but didnt find anything...YET!

IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO THIS YOU MUST KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!
goverments will take all that you find- if they know about it.

they always swoop in as soon as you find something, but you never see them risking their ass to find it. screw em.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf10
hey guys,
this is what i would love to do more than ANYTHING! but i'm married so thats the end of that. lol.

but i can dream, and this is the one i would go after first: www.texasbeyondhistory.net...
www.stxmaps.com...
i'm in texas and i search for these wrecks several years ago but didnt find anything...YET!

IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO THIS YOU MUST KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!
goverments will take all that you find- if they know about it.

they always swoop in as soon as you find something, but you never see them risking their ass to find it. screw em.

Yeah, maybe you are right, don't say anything just keep it to yourself.................but the Texas Spanish treasure looks interesting..........just think of the stuff there is just waiting to be found by guys like us.....haha...........

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Here is a new find I posted, was in the wrong section.... no one replied

But I think it's cool, you may as well?

Here's to finding lost treasure!

Mickierocksman

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mickierocksman
Here is a new find I posted, was in the wrong section.... no one replied

But I think it's cool, you may as well?

Here's to finding lost treasure!

Mickierocksman

Cheers for that.................Yeah, you like me are treasure hunters.............Ooooh the dream of it all...........One day, one day my friend...............

top topics

join