It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jupiter's Orbit Changing? And the 'disappearing' scientists who make the claim...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Well, this looks like fun.

Fake or real?

I don't have the subject matter expertise to even begin debunking the claim. I'm hoping someone on here can lend a hand.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Could the satellite have moved?

I also have very limited knowledge on this.....

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
jupiter is supposed to have the same groundtrack every year...its apparent motion should"oscillate"

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
The orbits changes over time and drift up and down of all the planets, so I don't know much about this phenomenon but the orbits do drift up and down.

Perhaps that is what is occurring in the vid.

From Wiki

The inclination of Earth's orbit drifts up and down relative to its present orbit. Milankovitch did not study this three-dimensional movement. This movement is known as "precession of the ecliptic" or "planetary precession". More recent researchers noted this drift and that the orbit also moves relative to the orbits of the other planets. The invariable plane, the plane that represents the angular momentum of the Solar System, is approximately the orbital plane of Jupiter. The inclination of Earth's orbit drifts up and down relative to its present orbit with a cycle having a period of about 70,000 years. The inclination of the Earth's orbit has a 100,000-year cycle relative to the invariable plane. This is very similar to the 100,000-year eccentricity period. This 100,000-year cycle closely matches the 100,000-year pattern of ice ages.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Yes, SOHO moves above and below the ecliptic. Not to mention that the planets are not exactly on the ecliptic and move above and below it on a regular basis.

This is what happens when someone who has no idea about astronomy or about the instruments they "use" gets a mass audience. Youtube idiots.

edit on 8/18/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by sonnny1

Yes, SOHO moves above and below the ecliptic. Not to mention that the planets are not exactly on the ecliptic.

This is what happens when someone who has no idea about astronomy or about the instruments they "use" gets a mass audience. Youtube idiots.

edit on 8/18/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

You stole my thunder

Also, there is rotational movement.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thats all we need to know then.

Talk about sensationalism......

For guys like me and Loam, its good to have those, that actually know whats going on.

Thank You.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Awesome!

Next.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Greatest Thread Ever!

Discussed and Debunked before any of the irritating naysayers or know-it-all's that refuse to face facts get in here and derail the whole thread.

Could the fact that threads seem to go down hill so much faster these days be attributed to the end of days? Just kidding.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by fasteronfire

Accomplished in 4 replies!

I love it when time can be save so easily...

Now, if I could just get people to help me figure out what the hell is going on with my Google Shopping Supplement thread...

edit on 18-8-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Yeah......thanks phage you took a load off my mind....
Now all i have to do s try to explan all those dead scientsts

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Amazing stuff is that Jupiter shrinks 2 cm per year and in the beginning of the solar system formations, Jupiter was twice bigger than it is today.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Amazing stuff is that Jupiter shrinks 2 cm per year and in the beginning of the solar system formations, Jupiter was twice bigger than it is today.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Things ain't what they used to be. But don't look up - it could be hazardous for your health like all those dead astronomers in the video. Liked the duck analogy from the one poster - that's the same analogy that Eastlund used to describe HAARP - 'if it quacks like a duck' etc., something like that...

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Jupiter and Saturn are one the most closest guarded secrets among a handful of people from a handful of scientists/country's.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
To my knowledge This video was obviously put together by someone who knows little of how our solar system works, and the ever changing dynamics of it.

All planets oscillate from the solar plane. from the images i seen in the video all i was seeing was the changes over a 12 year span, of which looked nothing out of the ordinary to me.

More sensationalism i say.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins
Jupiter and Saturn are one the most closest guarded secrets among a handful of people from a handful of scientists/country's.

No, it's not.

The person who posted the video in the OP also neglected to account for the camera orientation, which is not fixed relative to the ecliptic. You MUST account for that by using the background stars as reference points, which I did here:
img705.imageshack.us...
I compared the position of Jupiter in the SOHO images from the time periods covered by the above youtube video to the predicted position of Jupiter based on ephemeris that were originally generated in 1890 by George Hill, which I manually imported into Celestia (rather than try to modify Celestia's VSOP87 algorithms, I simply imported mean Keplerian elements for Jupiter at each observation epoch into Celestia). I didn't bother accounting for the exact position of SOHO in this case, but by positioning the view at the L1 point you can get good enough accuracy to see that there's nothing wrong with Jupiter's position.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
It's amazing how often some people need to be told that any changes to the planetary orbits would be HEADLINE news around the world. It would be IMPOSSIBLE to keep anything like this a "closely guarded secret".

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Here's a debunking of Bpeirce2's follow-up video:

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

binary star systems are common, our system has a dark star that affects some planets but is not easy to detect

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join