It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant henge discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Just putting this out there as I didn't see it posted to ATS.

Henge found on North Downs from satellite images

It seems the use of satellites and special imaging techniques has become a tremendous tool for archeologists, given the many recent findings even among older known sites.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

Did you know there is a "Henge," in North America? Cahokia, Illinois to be exact.

cahokiamounds.org...

Interesting to see this happened in more than just England. I have toured this site, and the similarities are uncanny. Cahokia also has a lot of mounds that have yet to be excavated.

Are they burial mounds? Something else?

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sulie
reply to post by Bilk22

Did you know there is a "Henge," in North America? Cahokia, Illinois to be exact.

cahokiamounds.org...

Interesting to see this happened in more than just England. I have toured this site, and the similarities are uncanny. Cahokia also has a lot of mounds that have yet to be excavated.

Didn't know about that. Thanks. Maybe a good destination for a road trip

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

This place is Native American. Tribes that settled along the Mississippi river. I find it fascinating how the two completely different cultures had so many similarities.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

reply to post by Bilk22

I find it fascinating how the two completely different cultures had so many similarities.

I believe it's because they all had the same source of knowledge, which is still hard to accept in general. S&F.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
yes i saw this and i think this will be something to keep a eye on as times goes on i think we will find a lot more of this kind of things and the more we find the more we will understand what they were used for. Thank you for your post

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Sulie

They also discovered one at the bottom of Lake Michigan near Michigan as well.

Stonehenge in Lake Michigan?
Potentially pre-historic stone formation discovered deep underwater

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
There's a "woodhenge" found in Ohio, also.
I believe this article is from 2010.

I was looking for the old lunar calendar formation from Ohio, too.
It's here somewhere and I believe around Circleville.
The story goes, a contractor from years ago built a subdivision over it.
IT was larger than the Stonehenge we all know from Great Britain.
But it was demolished to make room for expanding population.

I have to find the link though...
Ohio is chock full of sites.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
when i was younger i would find small stone calendars in southern vt. i found 4 i think altogether. some involved stone piles alligned to stonewalls. others involved alignment stones to solstices. i found one on a mountain side that was a slab of rock 12ft? long and it had been slid down the side of the mountain and set in place facing east aligning with another mountain for a solstice alignment. anyways stone circle/calendars/henges are all over the landscape. it was their seasonal calendar and their way to tell when planting season and such was coming. i found one site that predated the trees. it was to big to have been built with the forest around. the arms/alignment stones stretched a half mile in different directions. one of the key stones that was used most often was white quartz boulders in my area. if you are wandering thru the woods look for prominent knolls, hills, ledges, that have a clear view in a solstice direction. then using a compass look for what usually is a central pile of cobbles or could be one large quartz boulder. then radiate out from the center and you will find other stone markers, piles, walls, even standing stones. it was a lot of fun to find them. it taught me a great deal about the lost culture of the people that once lived in my area. of course when i told archeologist about the medicine wheels they blew me off. 'everyone knows they didnt work with stones.' okay you continue with your illusions and i will keep on finding them.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   

***snip***

I have a theory which I have been developing since my youth (about 40 years ago) and it is basically this:

The reason for so many henges of similar type all over the world is NOT visits from aliens, explorers or mystics.

The reason for so many henges of similar type all over the world is because they are based on racial memory or the same story being told from generation to generation.
When mankind travelled from Afrika to inhabit the earth they took with them stories and tales and their belief in gods.
Perhaps they build the henges to symbolize the view from the original place where mankind became "thinking beings"?
Perhaps the reason why the henges aren't identical is because the stories over the years change slightly?

Perhaps The First People had a yearly gathering where they had a central meeting place. And at that meeting place there was a stone representing each tribe? At first they were stones to sit on in a large circle. Over time the stories made about them, made them out to be large and the henges were build to honour the ancestors.

Perhaps all this solar alignment and star thingy is just coincidence? Wouldn't precession of the equinoxes put a question mark on that?

edit on 19-8-2012 by HolgerTheDane2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

This place is Native American. Tribes that settled along the Mississippi river. I find it fascinating how the two completely different cultures had so many similarities.

Even more amazing is that they not only had the same Sun as the Europeans, but they also could see the same stars at night!!!

Harte

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bilk22

reply to post by Bilk22

cahokiamounds.org...

Didn't know about that. Thanks. Maybe a good destination for a road trip

Honestly, its not worth the trip. I live about 20min away, its not that interesting to look at, just a big grass hill. The history is interesting though, and you can read that online. Also, if you go, pack weapons, its a real crappy part of eastern Illinois. Its literally surrounded by ghettos on all sides and Cahokia itself is pretty run down.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Seem's you can't go anywhere these days without tripping over a henge.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by coop039

Honestly, its not worth the trip. I live about 20min away, its not that interesting to look at, just a big grass hill. The history is interesting though, and you can read that online. Also, if you go, pack weapons, its a real crappy part of eastern Illinois. Its literally surrounded by ghettos on all sides and Cahokia itself is pretty run down.

I had absolutely no problems while visiting, and found it extremely fascinating. There were lots of security people about, plus I had my two dogs with me, which are allowed as long as you pick up after your pets. There is not just one big grass hill, there are others that also surround the main one, which is like a Mayan city. The only difference is that there are not stone temples.

I would recommend not walking around with lot's of money in your pocket, just in case, but this site is very well monitored, and patrolled. Would you feel safe going to visit the tar pits in a bad area of Los Angeles? Sometimes it's well worth the trip.

www.cahokiamounds.org...

EXPLORE CAHOKIA MOUNDS Interactive Map of Cahokia Mounds One of the greatest cities of the world, Cahokia was larger than London was in AD 1250. Learn more about this city by exploring our interactive map.

new topics

top topics

join