It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pussy Riot jail terms condemned as 'disproportionate'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Pussy Riot jail terms condemned as 'disproportionate'

www.bbc.co.uk

US state department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said the US was "concerned about both the verdict and the disproportionate sentences... and the negative impact on freedom of expression in Russia".
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
uk.reuters.com
www.ibtimes.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Pussy Riot members jailed for two years for hooliganism

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Tyranny in all its forms should be held accountable and removed from society if we are to evolve our intellectual and personal freedoms. Governments and their ilk more or less have refused to listen to the people and when is too far of such misuse of governmental power will we all refuse to accept it. Its gone too far already. Fight for the freedoms so future generations wont have to. Savvy.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
A government's purpose (EACH government's) is to work for and serve FOR the people, not the other way around. Simple as that.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
if you cant do the time dont do the crime they will be out in a few months as they have already done 5 months usually you do half the time in civilized countrys

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Kiev police use photos and videos from the Internet to identify the persons who are involved in cutting of the Greek-Catholic cross near the International Center of Culture and Arts in Kiev. This was announced by Chief of the Interior Ministry in Kiev Igor Mihalko.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
August 18, 2012 8:12 AM

Russian Orthodox church forgives Pussy Riot

www.cbsnews.com/8301-501368_162-57495873/russian-orthodox-church-forgives-pussy-riot/

MOSCOW — Two top clerics in the Russian Orthodox Church say it has forgiven the members of feminist punk band Pussy Riot who were convicted of hooliganism and sent to prison for briefly taking over a cathedral in a raucous prayer for deliverance from Vladimir Putin.

Tikhon Shevkunov, who heads Moscow's Sretensky Monastery and is widely believed to be Putin's spiritual counselor, said on state TV Saturday that his church forgave the singers right after their "punk prayer" in the Christ the Savior Cathedral in Moscow.

Archpriest Maxim Kozlov agreed, but he also said on state TV that his church hopes the young women and their supporters "realize that their acts are awful."

Both clerics supported a court's decision to prosecute Pussy Riot, despite an international outcry that criticized it as unfair.

© 2012 The Associated Press.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
The US is concerned about lack of freedom of expression? Pot meet kettle.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
In the Criminal code of the Federal Republic of Germany rowdy antics in the limits of worship premises, also punishable by deprivation of liberty for up to three years or a fine, and the "article 189 of the Criminal code of the Republic of Austria provides for a in the premises of the Church of hooliganism and insulting the moral feelings, punishment in the form of deprivation of liberty for a term up to six months or a fine in the size of the

the same in Finland

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Punk Rock lives!!!

Jesus Christ, two years for singing a protest song in a church? Remind me to never visit Russia.

I went to a Catholic school for grades 5-8, and I did much worse things in church than these girls did.

...wheres my headbanging emoticon?

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I have looked at the reaction of the British if someone put on a show of clowns shouting "down with the conservatives and the freedom of Northern Ireland! "
in St Paul's Cathedral in London again double standards!

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
they should not be serving that much time for vandalism, it's crazy. End of the day that's all it is.

Should just be a slap on the wrist and MAYBE fine.
edit on 18/8/12 by David291 because: (no reason given)

edit on 18/8/12 by David291 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I went to a Catholic school (despite being protestant), and the school nun that was teaching R.E had some of the pupils practically in tears with stories of hell and what not, so me and a mate locked her in the cupboard and stole the Virgin Mary (statue).

We got suspended for two weeks.

There is my little religious crime story lol.

They deserve to be punished for blatantly breaking laws that were in place, but the sentence IMO was far too harsh.

Going to have to look this band up and see what they sound like, can't beat a bit of punk.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
They can't expect to vandalize property without legal consequences, imagine the church going around vandalizing THEIR property, there would be uproar but when anything happens to the church it's ok. Seems that the church can't win these days no matter what....

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Todzer
They can't expect to vandalize property without legal consequences, imagine the church going around vandalizing THEIR property, there would be uproar but when anything happens to the church it's ok. Seems that the church can't win these days no matter what....

Eh? where do you get that from? The church go around ruining peoples rights on a daily basis and have done for a long time, I don't see many people up in arms about that. Come on... they hardly did anything wrong, vandalism, that is all. It was no serious crime.

at most they should of just paid for the damaged caused, yes in money and not in jail time.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by David291

First of all people give out about the church ALL the time, seems like a constant stream of criticism these days and secondly do you not think people should be held accountable for their actions? What if some you didn't like came with a chainsaw and damaged your property? Would you say it's ok they are just expressing themselves?

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Todzer

I never said it was ok. I said their punishment was FAR too harsh. If someone did that to my property, I would indeed expect them to be punished and by that I mean, a slap on the wrist and a fine. I class that as punishment however, taking someones freedom away for such a PETTY crime is ridiculous.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

It is the laws of the country if they are willing to do it they should know the consequences of their actions, doing the crime and then giving out about the punishment is a moot point.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

It is the laws of the country if they are willing to do it they should know the consequences of their actions, doing the crime and then giving out about the punishment is a moot point.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Todzer

Yeah, I guess so. Still outrageous, but I do think that putting them in jail will do nothing other than strengthen their cause. Time will tell.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

That is true, this will strengthen their cause and help them in the long run.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join