It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. refuses to recognize diplomatic asylum of WikiLeaks founder

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
long debunked as false
the bombing of hiroshima was an act of terror for the purpose
of claiming world hegemony

1-No actually it has not been debunked as false but nice try.

Secondly it has nothing to do with Assange, Sweden or the UK..

or Kenneth Bradley Manning for that matter either.

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
LOL!

CNN BREAKING NEWS: WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, making his first public remarks from the Ecuadorian Embassy in London where he is holed up, called on President Obama on Sunday to "do the right thing."
edit on 19-8-2012 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

Which would be what?

2-there are no charges pending against Assange from the US.
there is no extradition request for assange from the US.

3-What does he want Obama to do? Pardon Kenneth Bradley Manning of Oregon?

Wouldnt the right thing be Assange going to Sweden?
edit on 19-8-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

strike 1- only in your obsolete history books
the same ones that still claim us gov and "intelligence" were caught by surprise re the Pearl Harbor FF

strike 2- the title of this thread "U.S. refuses to recognize diplomatic asylum of WikiLeaks founder"contradicts you

strike 3- the POSUS should have his nobel prize taken away and handed to manning

you're out

4- no, the right thing would be to stop the witchhunt against whistle blowers
edit on 19-8-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Word it how you want - it is the reality of the world that we live in.

Our government jobs is to look after the Countries interests, its selfish but I want my Country to look after me and my family and the future of my Country - what happens overseas, if it benefits my Country then Bravo.

I always thought that the world is what we make it. I thought that was the true spirit of the founding fathers.

So you want your country to kill innocents and wage illegal wars because you want your country to benefit? What if the situation were reversed?
edit on 19-8-2012 by UDHR19 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Where are those WMDs?

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by UDHR19

Word it how you want - it is the reality of the world that we live in.

Our government jobs is to look after the Countries interests, its selfish but I want my Country to look after me and my family and the future of my Country - what happens overseas, if it benefits my Country then Bravo.

I always thought that the world is what we make it. I thought that was the true spirit of the founding fathers.

So you want your country to kill innocents and wage illegal wars because you want your country to benefit? What if the situation was reversed?

The founding Fathers mean nothing to me - Im from the UK.

The roles are not reversed so there is no argument there - I am just fortunate.

If that is what it takes for the gov to guarantee our prosperity then that is what it takes.
edit on 19-8-2012 by youwillneverknow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by youwillneverknow

So far. Give my love to Tony Blair.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

So far. Give my love to Tony Blair.

the same to GWB

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

If that is what it takes for the gov to guarantee our prosperity then that is what it takes.

I think you just gave a whole new meaning to fascism.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

I think you just gave a whole new meaning to fascism.

i prefer the term right wing

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Where are those WMDs?

WikiLeaks Show WMD Hunt Continued in Iraq – With Surprising Results

WikiLeaks Revelation: WMDs in Iraq?

I dont know.. ask wikileaks because they apparently found them.

Or is wikileaks lying because it supports the action taken against Iraq?

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
If Assange stays put it's only a matter of time before Obama gives the go ahead for a drone strike on the Ecuador embassy.

USA! USA! USA! USA!

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Where are those WMDs?

WikiLeaks Show WMD Hunt Continued in Iraq – With Surprising Results

WikiLeaks Revelation: WMDs in Iraq?

I dont know.. ask wikileaks because they apparently found them.

Or is wikileaks lying because it supports the action taken against Iraq?

A link to the actual cables would be more persuasive.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

That is Bradley Manning.

You are wrong on that one, I know a member of his family.........................care to go on?????

Do not play the try to discredit me game.

edit on 19-8-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Surely he gets what he deserves - it is treason at the end of the day.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Assange is basically a journalist. He calls himself so.

Journalists should be immune to any Gov and be able to report all atrocities and secrets they want.

Someone's gotta Police the world Police

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
In this day and age, in these times of the Internet affording instant communication around the world, as would satellites, that trials could be held and testimony given from a far off place. If a trial were held in Sweden, he could give his testimony live and with the respect any court of law would enjoy. If he is innocent, as he asserts, then the case could be closed against him.

However in the case of the USA, I believe they want him to die in one of the Federal Prisons. What he did is more of a slap in the face to the US government, and what he uncovered and made known, is an embarrassment. Just imagine what he has not yet released.

One final note, immunity by one country should be respected by others. This is one very significant reason that a One World Government is a very bad idea. We need the protection that individual nations afford a person who flees what they perceive to be unjust. .

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent

That is Bradley Manning.

You are wrong on that one, I know a member of his family.........................care to go on?????

Do not play the try to discredit me game.

edit on 19-8-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

Really?

From Bradleymanning.org...

This is not a photo of PFC Bradley Manning

For nearly two years now, the Portland, Oregon, police mug shot of Kenneth Bradley Manning has been occasionally misidentified by web blogs as an image of Army PFC Bradley E Manning.

Accompanying descriptions of Kenneth Manning’s photo often assert that it depicts PFC Bradley Manning after having been subjected to brutal treatment at the Quantico Marine Brig.

PFC Bradley Manning was indeed subjected to unlawful and torturous pre-trial punishment in clear violation of Article 13 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice at Quantico. However, no photos or video of PFC Manning during his confinement at Quantico have yet been made public.

There is no known relationship between 24-year-old accused WikiLeaks whistle-blower Army PFC Bradley E Manning, and 31-year-old Kenneth Bradley Manning of Mulino, Oregon. About half a dozen mug shots of Kenneth Manning can be found online spanning the time period of April 2010 to the present, all from Portland, Oregon, area law enforcement.

If you run across someone inaccurately using photos of Kenneth Bradley Manning, please explain the inaccuracy and ask them to make a correction.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

The illegal iraq war was nothing to do with saddam,
or saving its people. It was about oil, and the people
involved should be done for war crimes. But what a
suprise, they are all free. And you talk about the law!
Why is it that Documents revealed talks between
Government and oil giants before invasion of
Iraq?

Makes me sick when weak minded brainwashed patriotics
turn a blind eye to their governments crimes.
edit on 19-8-2012 by Jay-morris because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I'm very torn as to what should happen to Assange because it comes down to how you look at the cables being leaked. The way I'm looking at it is that it goes without saying that there are certain things the general public shouldn't know about their Government, and there are certain things countries shouldn't know about other ones. It's the nature of the beast, and embarrassment may have something to do with it, but there are greater things at stake.

As far as the US is concerned, this isn't the days of George Washington & Thomas Jefferson with that 'government is best which governs least'; mentality. I wish it were, but that's changed now and this is where we're at. Nations must have secrets to a certain extent. It is necessary for a number reasons, some of which are obvious and for others not so much. Assange seems like an intelligent person, and he knew what he was doing and now he got his ass in a jam because of it. Some are going to try to turn this guy into a martyr for all the wrong reasons.

Personally I don't feel sorry for him because it's not like he got fooled into it. This goes beyond the realm of "free speech", what was leaked has International implications, there is a difference between wanting to 'expose the man' and irresponsibility. Okay, we have the right to freedom of speech, but nowhere does it say that we are free from the consequences that come along with that freedom.

This is a fine example.
edit on 19-8-2012 by DethDriver because: coding error

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

I do not know if this is intentional, but this could very lead to the USA being kicked from the OAS and the formation of a Southern Hemisphere Confederacy or Federation. Think about, in South America there is already some resentment towards America, + many are angry over British Colonialism in the Maldives.

From an American stand point(or rather as an American who feels every nation in the Western Hemisphere should join the Union), we would be better off letting this go and siding with the rest of the OAS on this one.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
The US should just follow the same rule they expect everyone else to follow, "If you are doing nothing wrong, surveillance, security cameras, leaked information don't matter," that is what they expect us to believe when the government does the watching and reporting. We have a clear case of a double standard here and a heaping dose of hypocrisy.

The US expects to spy on everyone worldwide, especially their own citizens, looking for dissension as well as "possible" terrorism and criminal activity. The UK is also spying on their own citizens looking for dissension in the rank and file as well as "possible" terrorism and criminal activity. But if either of these governments have citizens (or otherwise) looking at governments to find and expose criminal activity, treason and terrorism, that person is branded a terrorist themselves. The US and UK (or any other country for that matter) can't have it both ways, one rule fits ALL, otherwise, tyranny rules.

I don't like Assange much either, his uppity personality grates on me, but he is providing a valid and necessary service. He is publishing the information that can eventually take governments, banks and the IMF/UN down and that is exactly where they need to be, down. The people that make up governments and the international banking system are not going to stop committing crimes unless everyone knows what is going on and stops them.

Since Wikileaks/Assange publish information that hurts government and shows war crimes, criminal activity and potentially treasonous acts, then the reasons for his extradition and alleged crime become purely political in nature. That being the case, requesting political asylum in this situation is valid. It was valid when the US ran Operation Paperclip to pull out Nazi scientists and give them jobs, citizenship and political asylum. It was valid when the US pulled Russian scientists out of Russia and East Germany during the Cold War and gave them political asylum. It's no different than a political dissenter or activist in Russia asking for political asylum in the US right now. If the band, Pussy Riot, in Russia asked for political asylum, that would be valid, they have been imprisoned for political reason. Assange is no different, it's just the US government is a whiny little biatch over this, their criminality has been found out and documented (and I expect there is a lot more to come), they can take their collective lumps and not do it again or get found out again if they do.

If the US gets away with this travesty of eventually extraditing or assassinating Assange, none of us are safe. This is just common sense and I don't know why it's called common sense as it isn't terribly common these days.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 8/19.2012 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join