It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hacker claims to have found new security flaw with Apple's iPhone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Hacker claims to have found new security flaw with Apple's iPhone

news.xinhuanet.com

A hacker on Friday revealed a security flaw that he claimed could make Apple's iPhone particularly vulnerable to text message cheating.

The flaw has existed since iPhone was first launched in 2007, and is still not solved in the beta version of iOS 6, the next operating system for iPhone, the hacker under the name "Pod2g" said in a blog post.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
gadgets.ndtv.com

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Would like to stress to everyone how vital it is to set up google flags regarding your iphone or smart phone model to receive information regarding vulnerabilities.

Do not expect the company or some " news feed from the company " to inform you that its product is faulty, it is those "evil hackers" who inform the public via blogs and in turn are re-written and submitted to the major news outlets.

Remember folks, set up your flags...

news.xinhuanet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
You can get an ap for smart phones that let you call someone and have them receive the phone number and name of anyone you want. Technically you could use this ap to pose as anyone, for example that person's bank. I'm not sure if you can get it for an iPhone, but I'm assuming you can if you can download it to every other smart phone I've seen.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I guess you all wouldn't expect nothing less of me if hadn't added another post..well i have just the post for you all...

Apple iPhone Is Nearly Impossible to Crack, Says NSA

Blackberry has long been considered the most secure smartphone option, especially when dealing with corporate information or government secrets. However, the Apple iPhone hasn't received the same kind of recognition; an acknowledgement that it most definitely deserves. Fitted with AES encryption and a multitude of other security features, the device is so reliable that the National Security Agency (NSA) has difficulty cracking it.

In fact, the iPhone is giving the U.S. Justice Department quite the headache, as they try to access phone information for use in criminal investigations. Ovie Carroll, director at the Justice Dept.'s Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section, explained, "I can tell you from the Department of Justice perspective, if that drive is encrypted, you're done. If you pull the power on a drive that is whole-disk encrypted you have lost any chance of recovering that data."

midsizeinsider.com...

My short ending is, trust no phone that starts with an "i" or the term "smart"

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
edit on 18/8/2012 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Oh and that ap I mention before hand will even let you change your voice to something of your choosing. It's fun to mess with your friends, but it could be used to ruin someones life if it wasn't marketed as this cheeky "fun" ap.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by MmmPie
You can get an ap for smart phones that let you call someone and have them receive the phone number and name of anyone you want. Technically you could use this ap to pose as anyone, for example that person's bank. I'm not sure if you can get it for an iPhone, but I'm assuming you can if you can download it to every other smart phone I've seen.

Indeed, the iphone is in terms of security very much like windows, its secure enough but being secure enough is not 100%. Myself , i use a phone that has no camera, no wifi, no gps, it simply dials. The phone being an ericsson has a simple menu and is pretty much open to any configuration you want. For example , if i have an incoming call, the person calling will receive from his network that my phone is inaccessible at this moment please call back later, no ring tone is given to the person calling me, while on my end, i receive full listing on who is calling me regardless if he or she has opted for a private no id sending based on contract of service. I receive sms messages but anyone who sends an sms will read on his screen " the message has not been delivered" or "pending" or "failed", it all depends on what network he or she is hooked up with. This also applies to international incoming calls either land or cell based from overseas networks.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
HA! That phone set up is just like mine, except I hate text messages so I don't get those. My phone is basically a 5 dollar burner. I probably use it like 4 times a week, if I need to get a hold of someone I'll go see them and confront them face to face.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

what a load of crap. (the article not you chief.
.)

Its a piece of software designed by a company....

Yes, the physical phone may be hard to figure out, but any IT genius could crack the software and im sure the NSA has plenty of them on hand!
edit on 18-8-2012 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by MmmPie

Someone used that app on my aunts birthday with my grandmothers old number i believe. It upset the whole family pretty cruel if you ask me, by the way do you know the name of the app for personal reference.
Forgot to mention my grandmother has been dead for over 10 years.
edit on 18-8-2012 by ed1320 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ed1320
reply to post by MmmPie

Someone used that app on my aunts birthday with my grandmothers old number i believe. It upset the whole family pretty cruel if you ask me, by the way do you know the name of the app for personal reference.

THAT'S TERRIBLE! Your poor aunt!

I don't know the name of the ap (I don't own a smart phone).

Weird aps

This is one that is similar (page 11), the one my friend has offers a few more options for the voice setting. Only like 2 more, not that much of a difference, I'm assuming they are very similar though.
edit on 18-8-2012 by MmmPie because: (no reason given)

Pages 6 and 13 offer some pretty cruel additions to a phone...

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Myself , i use a phone that has no camera, no wifi, no gps, it simply dials. The phone being an ericsson has a simple menu and is pretty much open to any configuration you want. For example , if i have an incoming call, the person calling will receive from his network that my phone is inaccessible at this moment please call back later, no ring tone is given to the person calling me, while on my end, i receive full listing on who is calling me regardless if he or she has opted for a private no id sending based on contract of service. I receive sms messages but anyone who sends an sms will read on his screen " the message has not been delivered" or "pending" or "failed", it all depends on what network he or she is hooked up with. This also applies to international incoming calls either land or cell based from overseas networks.

You must be a great guy to associate with! BTW What are you hiding from?

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I am almost 100 percent sure the Iphone is 100 percent hackable by the NSA. I am sure the NSA would publicly say the phone is way to secure for us to hack because they can actually get into it very easily . They want everyone to choose the Iphone because they most likely have back doors on every aspect of a phone that is turned on.

When the hacker went public with the vulnerability he found out likely 1 percent of of what can leak out of a phone.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
People ask for convenience yet they worry about security, the more you ask for one, the less you have of the other.
Being able to hack into any type of phone is pointless now that more and more people using the cloud.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ed1320
reply to post by MmmPie

That is sick.. not sure of the circumstances but its damn right tasteless to do something like that to anyone for any reason.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical

Myself , i use a phone that has no camera, no wifi, no gps, it simply dials. The phone being an ericsson has a simple menu and is pretty much open to any configuration you want. For example , if i have an incoming call, the person calling will receive from his network that my phone is inaccessible at this moment please call back later, no ring tone is given to the person calling me, while on my end, i receive full listing on who is calling me regardless if he or she has opted for a private no id sending based on contract of service. I receive sms messages but anyone who sends an sms will read on his screen " the message has not been delivered" or "pending" or "failed", it all depends on what network he or she is hooked up with. This also applies to international incoming calls either land or cell based from overseas networks.

You must be a great guy to associate with! BTW What are you hiding from?

Hiding, no, i rather choose to call it it, "control". As another member pointed out and is as accurate as one can be:

Originally posted by Alxandro
People ask for convenience yet they worry about security, the more you ask for one, the less you have of the other.
Being able to hack into any type of phone is pointless now that more and more people using the cloud.

Give them what the want and they will A) Pay you for it, B) Allow you unrestricted access with or without their knowledge. C) If they realize that there data is being monitored, simply brand it as a software glitch and type out a public apology while offering them some gift as a compensation if the form of another software or update patch, keep in mind such girts are not gifts, but rather update improvements to the existing software already installed so as it to render it in stealth mode.

Does my reply sound out of this world, well you can always goolge such a topic and you will find a plethora of news regarding security breaches that almost always involve data mining form software vendors...every wondered why the glitch revolves around data mining ? :--)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManOfHart
I am almost 100 percent sure the Iphone is 100 percent hackable by the NSA. I am sure the NSA would publicly say the phone is way to secure for us to hack because they can actually get into it very easily . They want everyone to choose the Iphone because they most likely have back doors on every aspect of a phone that is turned on.

When the hacker went public with the vulnerability he found out likely 1 percent of of what can leak out of a phone.

Its no secret that you can deploy software to smart phones via sms without a problem. Its just people's refusal to accept that their hand held device that cost them hundreds of hard earned working hours is as safe as forgetting your key in the lock to your front door.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

This is only news because its a jab at iZombies. However this is not a new vulnerability and certainly not limited to iOS. The only sure security in the digital world is no network connectivity whatsoever and uncompromised prevention of physical access to a device.

-Sent from my iPhone

edit on 8/20/2012 by Lysis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysis

This is only news because its a jab at iZombies. However this is not a new vulnerability and certainly not limited to iOS. The only sure security in the digital world is no network connectivity whatsoever and uncompromised prevention of physical access to a device.

-Sent from my iPhone

edit on 8/20/2012 by Lysis because: (no reason given)

Indeed the problem as quoted in the post goes back to 2007, thats 5 years of a known exploit and people still pay hundreds to own a device. Ahhh those were the days when phreaking was phreaking and it had an element of cloak n dagger.

top topics

join