It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CopBlock.org Founder In Jail For Wiretapping

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Adam "Ademo" Mueller, co-host of radio show Free Talk Live and founder of CopBlock.org, was found guilty Monday of illegal wiretapping and sentenced to three months in jail.

Although Mueller maintained no wrongdoing, Assistant Hillsborough County Attorney Michael Valentine said Mueller's intentions were "to disrupt, to be disobedient, to slow down the court system and clog it," the New Hampshire Union Leader reports.

Mueller was found guilty of secretly recording conversations with Manchester police Capt. Jonathan Hopkins, Manchester High School West Principal MaryEllen McGorry and school secretary Denise Michael without their consent. The recordings were Mueller's response to an incident last October, when video surfaced of 17-year-old Frank W. Harrington being lifted from his seat in the New Hampshire school's cafeteria by a school police officer and slammed face-first into a table.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

So, the 2nd video is what got the guy 3 months in jail. He didn't say he was recording the conversations with all PUBLIC OFFICIALS so was charged with wiretapping. The only reason why he was prosecuted in my opinion, is because he was exposing the police. I guess he's lucky only to get 3 months, some of those people get ridiculously long sentences. The police is really public enemy #1.

edit on 18-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
So I see we really don't have freedom of speech. What a surprise Haha.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
nice thread...

I found and posted this earlier...nice find. Hopefully...they'll start understanding..like us...they have no privacy anymore.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Great catch. There was just another big thread on recording the cops here recently for a totally different incident wasn't there?

What they do to the public is bad enough and that's getting totally out of hand. However, the right for one citizen to record anything within earshot that isn't among the privileged category ought to be absolute. A large number of states already have 1 party law where this would never have been an issue.

Shame on the cops and the system for taking down this guy, of all people, with some cheap stunt with a blue law. How absolutely and utterly shameful. When's the Governor up for re-election? This sounds like a case for a pardon ..in the interests of Justice and all... Or a good basis to bounce every politician at the next opportunity for a replacement to vote in, who do not say something against this.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Why can u record a conversation with your memory but not with a recording device.

Which historically has been to be inaccurate over time.

Second, by directing a conversation at you, consent to listen and communicate has been given to you, unless specifically asked not too.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
If it is legal for the cops to record you without a warrant, you should be able to record them. They are public officials anyway, nothing they say should be private if they are on the job.

The federal government may spy on Americans’ communications without warrants and without fear of being sued, a federal appeals court ruled Tuesday in a decision reversing the first and only case that successfully challenged President George W. Bush’s once-secret Terrorist Surveillance Program.

www.wired.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

It seems you are implying a "who will guard the guards" sort of argument. If that's then perhaps we should question the guards instead of questioning them.

Cops need to be held to a certain standard. No more 60 credit standards. Set a new bar. make them more educated. More sociable. If you trust the cops there should be no reason to guard them.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
So Gov is allowed to wiretap on civilians without a warrant or fear of being sued. . . but are they allowed to wiretap on corporations and businesses?

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
loved the court attorney's quote about his intentions were to be disobedient!be a good little citizen and bend over now.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Why can u record a conversation with your memory but not with a recording device.

If they had the means to prevent recording with your mind they would probably make a law preventing its use if there was 'sensitive information'.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
One good thing may come out of this.

Republican state Rep. Mark Warden attended the hearing, later telling AP that prosecuting Mueller was "a travesty and a total waste of taxpayer dollars," adding that the case should push the Legislature to overhaul the vague wiretapping law to boost public official accountability

I think it is bull, but they can get him because it was a phone conversation. Every public employee including principals and cops should be considerred on public record when on the clock. Anything they say should be open for recording unless it violates the privacy rights of a third party.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I was under the impression that wire tapping was legal in the USA

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

expect LEO enablers in 3,2,1...

to justify this and inform us how stupid we are
in not understanding why this acceptable

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Cops are special people and don't have to obey the same laws everybody else does.

Some idiots say.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
And what happened to the cop that choke slammed the kid?

Hes the one there who actually committed a crime.

Its like arresting the guy who filmed someone getting beat up by a barbarian. Oh wait, thats exactly what happened.

So instead of being held in high regard for providing evidence, he is now someones new best friend.

..so what am I missing in my evaluation?

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by votan
I was under the impression that wire tapping was legal in the USA

The U.S. is a funny little place on this issue. It's legal in some states and not others....when done one way but not this other way, yet in another state the first way works but the other way needs to be more like the first way...

you get the idea...

Electronic Surveillance Laws - State by State laws at a glance

I'd say MOST states are coming around to thinking that anyone who is a direct party to a conversation has every right to record their own chat.....but, ugh.. Still a few states where control and power trump common sense and even recording your own talk with someone is...well,, as the story says, jail time.

edit on 18-8-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Its perfectly legal to record police officers in the US in most states. This guy is from the UK. Hence the title starting out Manchester police...... They dont have the same set of rules we do.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by JayFlores

Never mind. I stand corrected.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by JayFlores

This happened in America. The event took place in New Hampshire, the city is named Manchester

Mike, a 17 year old Junior at West High School in Manchester, NH, recently discovered CopBlock.org, thanks to the arrest of the Chalking 8, and not a moment to soon. Yesterday, while coming into the high school cafeteria, Mike noticed his friend was being questioned by the school police officer – Det. Murphy – and decides to film. In the mist of being grilled by another school official who states, “it’s illegal to film” Murphy provides the misguided administrator an exact example why filming police is important – oh, and it’s not illegal at all.

www.copblock.org...

join