It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Too Welsh To ...sing "God Save The Queen" but not welsh enough to wear another nations name?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Cardiff city is the biggest and most famous Welsh Football(soccer) club in existence.

For over 100 years they wore blue and the name "bluebells " was their nickname , a name on their crest.

Craig Bellamy recently played for the combined Great Britain Football (soccer) team a t the very recent London Olympics , like his welsh compatriots in the same side "Ryan Giggs" and " Tim Allen" ect they didn't sing the national anthem of Great Britain before each match they played , because understandably they are welsh and God Save The Queen essentially honours the Queen of England.

So it is a great suprise to many that Craig Bellamy along with his other Cardiff city teammates have agreed to play in a new strip of red not blue ,with their nickname being the red dragons instead of the traditional "bluebells".

And if you follow the link you will see in large letters the name of the Nation "MALAYSIA" emblazenend on the front of the new jerseys that Craig Bellamy will wear for every home game.
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Malaysia has an abysmal human rights record see this link as evidence
www.hrw.org...

There are approx 30,000 Cardiff city shirts sold each year in WALES...the biggest football club in Wales will be an advert for Malaysia thanks to the Malaysian owners who ignored welsh sentiment and anger when hearing of the decision.

Money changes everything , it can even turn .. Welsh.bluebells into Malaysian Dragons.

Shame on you wales.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I think you'll find that Cardiff City are nicknamed the 'BLUEBIRDS' not 'bluebells'.
Get your facts right.

And don't criticise the whole country for a little thing like changing the colour of a football teams shirts. There are much bigger things to worry about.

And again, why is this in the general conspiracies forum? There is no conspiracy involved here.
edit on 18/8/2012 by iskander683 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
It's all bollocks. It's like Men of Harlech, the other 'unofficial' anthem of Wales, which talks about taking on the Saxons. The origins are either the lyrics refer to Owain Glyndwr taking on the 'Saxon' scourge (who is actually Henry V, who was born in Monmouth, Wales) or is referring to the Welsh picking sides in an English Civil War (good English and bad English, apparently!)

It's worth pointing out that since 1066, the 400 years before all this, England had ostensibly been ruled by Normans and French and were about to be ruled by the Tudors (a Welsh-French dynasty).

Never mind, as long as it doesn't deviate from the 'anyone but the English!' mentality, eh?

As a caveat, I should point out my grandparents were Welsh, so, inb4: racist celt-hater and you flooded my valley.
edit on 18-8-2012 by Merriman Weir because: stuff

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

Firstly She's the Queen of Great Britain & Northern Ireland, not England, God Save The Queen is the National anthem of Great Britain, however because England doesn't have one officially they always use God Save the Queen, which, personally I think is wrong and a bit lazy on their part. Welsh Scots and Northern Irish football and Rugby players would probably have a difficult time singing it as they usually sing their own anthem at an international football or rugby game, and would usually hear that anthem by the opposing side, i.e. England, simple solution, England get yourself your own anthem and stick to it and stop pinching Britains :-). English sports teams, Singing God Save The Queen only reinforces the myth some people hold to, that Britishness is just Englishness. As for Giggs and Bellamy, I never seen them sing the Welsh Anthem at a game, so why break the habit of a lifetime, not every player sings their anthem this goes for the whole World, there is more to patriotism than singing some pompous anthem :-)
edit on 18-8-2012 by Shminkee Pinkee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Expired
Craig Bellamy recently played for the combined Great Britain Football (soccer) team a t the very recent London Olympics , like his welsh compatriots in the same side "Ryan Giggs" and "Tim Allen" ect

Tim Allen?

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8

Craig Bellamy recently played for the combined Great Britain Football (soccer) team a t the very recent London Olympics , like his welsh compatriots in the same side "Ryan Giggs" and "Tim Allen" ect

Tim Allen?

I just noticed that, :-)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   

are Wales what a beautiful part of England that is ,the land of my fathers

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Who gives a damn? Soon my beautiful, glorious England will be free of the Celtic handcuffs that have been holding us back for centuries. Soon, our English money will be spent on us instead of funding free universities, parking, medicine and other services for the Celts and only the Celts.

It will be truly beautiful to see the governments run cap in hand to the EU when their money runs out.

That stoned frog Salmond is serving England beautifully.

MOD INCLUSION:
Please review:

The end of hate speech on ATS
ATS Terms and Conditions of Use
edit on 8/19/12 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by binkman

I am a fiercely patriotic Englishman and there is more just a little truth to the arguement that England is poorly represented in the Union - but you do not speak for all Englishmen the vast majority of whom wish to see the Union remain in some shape or form.

Personally I'd like to see increased devolution, even for the regions of England allowing 'the North' to elect it's own Assembly, all within some sort of Federal Union.

There is much hypocrisy about the whole Welsh / Scottish / English / British arguement and until we are able to discuss and debate it in an open and honest manner it will continue - unfortunately being absolutely honest about this would be far too uncomfortable for the vast majority.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by binkman

I am a fiercely patriotic Englishman and there is more just a little truth to the arguement that England is poorly represented in the Union - but you do not speak for all Englishmen the vast majority of whom wish to see the Union remain in some shape or form.

You cannot be an English Patriot and a Brit Unionist at the same time.

Personally I'd like to see increased devolution, even for the regions of England allowing 'the North' to elect it's own Assembly, all within some sort of Federal Union.

And that sums up why you are not an English patriot, you are nothing but a Brit jumping on the bandwagon.

There is much hypocrisy about the whole Welsh / Scottish / English / British arguement and until we are able to discuss and debate it in an open and honest manner it will continue - unfortunately being absolutely honest about this would be far too uncomfortable for the vast majority.

Absolutely, we have to weed out chaff like you, those who would happily see their country locked down in unionist handcuffs and in your case broken up have to be separated and shunned for the good of our nation.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by binkman

Your whole post lacks any substance or reasoning and is akin to the type of retort I last heard in a primary school playground.

Of course I am English - and a very proud one - yet you in your ignorance assume that just because you don't like The Union then all proud Englishmen must agree with you and if they don't they lack passion and pride - absolute bollocks.
I am a very proud Englishman yet I also believe there are ties that bind with all the people of these great Isles and that is something worth fighting for and keeping.

Why not?

you are nothing but a Brit jumping on the bandwagon.

What bandwagon?

You know absolutely nothing about me and making some massive assumptions.

Why can't we have increased devolution whilst also retaining some national pride within a federal framework?

Do you know what a federal union would entail?

I'd throw in Direct Democracy but I really don't want to make your head hurt.

Absolutely, we have to weed out chaff like you,

And how would you do that?
Whatever way, please feel free to try it - whenever, wherever.

those who would happily see their country locked down in unionist handcuffs

Please explain how we are currently locked down in unionist handcuffs and how we would be with increased devolution.

and in your case broken up have to be separated and shunned for the good of our nation.

Broken up and shunned? In what way?

For the good our nation? What nation? And how?

A lot of words etc but absolutely nothing of substance.
edit on 18/8/12 by Freeborn because: typo

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   

they are welsh and God Save The Queen essentially honours the Queen of England.

I think you'll find she is also the queen of Wales as well.

It's a personal choice to sing your anthem or not, simple as that.

Your post is littered with factual errors and downright ignorance.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
She's also considered our Queen in Canada.
My ancestors came from England and Scotland, and after reading this thread, I've realized that I know absolutely nothing about it. Especially the politics...

Research time!

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Cardif the greatest welsh football team? How do you work that one out? I'm a scouser so i'm neutral but arnt Swansey the first Welsh team in the premier league? How can a team in a lower league be the greatest?

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

reply to post by binkman

Your whole post lacks any substance or reasoning and is akin to the type of retort I last heard in a primary school playground.

Of course I am English - and a very proud one - yet you in your ignorance assume that just because you don't like The Union then all proud Englishmen must agree with you and if they don't they lack passion and pride - absolute bollocks.
I am a very proud Englishman yet I also believe there are ties that bind with all the people of these great Isles and that is something worth fighting for and keeping.

Why not?

you are nothing but a Brit jumping on the bandwagon.

What bandwagon?

You know absolutely nothing about me and making some massive assumptions.

Why can't we have increased devolution whilst also retaining some national pride within a federal framework?

Do you know what a federal union would entail?

I'd throw in Direct Democracy but I really don't want to make your head hurt.

Absolutely, we have to weed out chaff like you,

And how would you do that?
Whatever way, please feel free to try it - whenever, wherever.

those who would happily see their country locked down in unionist handcuffs

Please explain how we are currently locked down in unionist handcuffs and how we would be with increased devolution.

and in your case broken up have to be separated and shunned for the good of our nation.

Broken up and shunned? In what way?

For the good our nation? What nation? And how?

A lot of words etc but absolutely nothing of substance.
edit on 18/8/12 by Freeborn because: typo

Anyone who supports the union is NOT an English patriot, they are a Brit unionist.

You do not deserve to call yourself an English Patriot.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by binkman

Anyone who supports the union is NOT an English patriot, they are a Brit unionist.

And that is the sum of your reply to the questions asked of you?

I would say 'empty rhetoric' and 'sloganeering' but it's not even that.
Are you even aware of the concept of reasoned thinking and critical thought?

I've heard all the arguements over the years - and whilst I don't agree with them I do however respect them as they are considered and well intentioned - you offer nothing at all to support your 'opinion'.
That's lame, lazy and very weak.

ETA.

I've never described myself as an 'English patriot', ever.
I am a proud and patriotic Englishman - where does that imply that I think I am a 'patriot'?
And what exactly is a 'patriot'.

Come on now, the questions are stacking up - if you want any sort of credibility you really should attempt to answer them.
edit on 18/8/12 by Freeborn because: Add ETA

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
It is truly amazing on a site that is dedicated to "denying ignorance" that the whole crux of the op's post is not comprehended or ilfully ignored...plese note not denied...that would take some of the respondents to actually read not skim.
No on ehas commented on a proud Welsh team with over a hundred years of tradition being forced by its new Malaysian owners to wear "MALAYSIA" on both the front and back of its team shirts.
Sorry yes Tim Allen doesn't play for Cardiff my silly error..apologies.

I know many will feel the same way as I do , about this , its a free country , I just wonder how the Americans on this site would feel if The New York Yankees had to change their strip and wear 'CHINA" on their uniforms against their history and traditions, because the club was bought out by Chinese big business.

The denying of the cultural and imperial take over by Asian interests of western nations cultural icons may not be of any interst or consequence to some , but to many others it is.

So be it.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by seethetruth

are Wales what a beautiful part of England that is ,the land of my fathers

Wales is not in England it is in Britain and is part of the UK like England Scoltand and Northern Ireland, Ireally wish people would do their research :-)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   

reply to post by binkman

And that is the sum of your reply to the questions asked of you?

I would say 'empty rhetoric' and 'sloganeering' but it's not even that.
Are you even aware of the concept of reasoned thinking and critical thought?

I've heard all the arguements over the years - and whilst I don't agree with them I do however respect them as they are considered and well intentioned - you offer nothing at all to support your 'opinion'.
That's lame, lazy and very weak.

ETA.

I've never described myself as an 'English patriot', ever.
I am a proud and patriotic Englishman - where does that imply that I think I am a 'patriot'?
And what exactly is a 'patriot'.

Come on now, the questions are stacking up - if you want any sort of credibility you really should attempt to answer them.
edit on 18/8/12 by Freeborn because: Add ETA

There is no point arguing with these guys, Nationalists, wherever they are, Welsh, English, scots, they are all hard headed, self righteous and stubborn :-)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   

It is truly amazing on a site that is dedicated to "denying ignorance" that the whole crux of the op's post is not comprehended or ilfully ignored...plese note not denied...that would take some of the respondents to actually read not skim.
No on ehas commented on a proud Welsh team with over a hundred years of tradition being forced by its new Malaysian owners to wear "MALAYSIA" on both the front and back of its team shirts.
Sorry yes Tim Allen doesn't play for Cardiff my silly error..apologies.

I know many will feel the same way as I do , about this , its a free country , I just wonder how the Americans on this site would feel if The New York Yankees had to change their strip and wear 'CHINA" on their uniforms against their history and traditions, because the club was bought out by Chinese big business.

The denying of the cultural and imperial take over by Asian interests of western nations cultural icons may not be of any interst or consequence to some , but to many others it is.

So be it.

Personally it doesn't matter what country name is on the kit, if you knew anything about British football, you'd know that most of the teams are foreign owned and some of the stadiums names have been changed, i.e. the Emirates etc. it doesn't bother me, I just want to watch the footy, inevitably in live things change, if you don't change with them you get left behind. :-)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join