It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watching Enterprise

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Just finished the pilot episode, Broken bow. I must say, I highly prefer watching TV series on DVD. I've been wanting to watch something Science Fiction y in space lately. I' decided to dstart watching my Enterprise Season one DVD collection.

I'm a big Star Trek fan, starting out with The Animated Series when it first ran. I was impressed with the art and the stories were top notch, especially for a cartoon. You don't really see stories in cartoons like those in the Star Trek animated series. but I was about seven or eight at the time when it first came out. From there I watched reruns of the original series.

Then came The Wrath Of Khan. It remains my favorite Star Trek movie ever. Then Came The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise. Enterprise was my least favorite because at the time I found it uninteresting, but still not really bad. Still, since I am a big fan of Star Trek I will still watch iit from time to time.

And I won't be satisfied until I have all DVD collections of ALL series and movies. That's how big a fan I am.

But there was really only one thing I wanted to say.

I miss Star Trek, and would really like to see a new series. I enjoy my DVDs, but I miss seeing good special effects, seeing good space ship battles, and Kirk yelling KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN.

I miss Star Trek.

Sigh.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
and Kirk yelling KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN.

Here ya go:

I'm a trekkie also. I find "Enterprise" to be more contemporary and closer to our time frame. I just recently watched the entire series again and was reminded how good that series was. I do miss TNG and Voyager. Never liked or got into DS9.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

You are doing yourself a disservice by not watching DS9! This coming from a VOY fan! DS9 wasn't appealing to me before, but once I sat through it, I realized it was one of the best sci fi series out there. The last 9 episodes I watched back to back, I couldn't put the series down!

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

My favorite too. And the Wrath of Khan. Here, hopefully this will help. Its a Jedi mind trick to help clear your mind of sentiment about Star Trek.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Well, im going to trek out now

I got into trek with Captain Picard and crew. While it was going I couldn't get into ds9 or the original series.

After tng was no longer airing new shows I actually started to like ds9. I also watched voyager.

Fast forward to a year or less ago, I get prime with instant videos and it has all the series with the exception of the cartoon and the movies aren't prime either.

I watch teh original and was amazed at how well it stood up to the decades, then watched all of tng and then ds9, I have to say ds9 is my favorite. I couldn't stand voyager after about midway through season 3 or 4 ( the season after they get 7 of 9) and then Enterprise. I have to say, I really liked Enterprise but wish they could have finished.

Maybe do story arcs like babylon 5 (very awesome from season 2 on.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Tuvok112

I have several DVD sets, and plan on getting the rest.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

That's what i was thinking the other night.WE NEED A NEW STAR TREK SHOW.I watch over and over again the old shows and i play the online game,but i would like to see something new.
It would be great to continue where Voyager left off.There is an entire timeline from the STO which includes a new war between the Klingons and the Federation...they could do that.
An entirely mirror universe show,is something that i would love to see as well or a Star trek entirely from the Klingon side.

Anyway anything Star Trek would be great.

Qapla

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone

And I won't be satisfied until I have all DVD collections of ALL series and movies. That's how big a fan I am.

"I am the seer of the tapes! Knower of the episodes!"--Melllvar, Futurama.

It's a worthy goal. Speaking from experience, it's very thrilling to have such a collection. I watch an episode every day (or every couple of days when I get busy.) The way I cycle through the episodes, and seasons, and spin-off series means I never get tired of an episode since it's been over a year (or two) since I get to watch a repeated episode.

I stumbled upon Star Trek back when it ran on G4. The Original series' "Return of the Archons" was the first episode of Trek I've ever seen and it is still probably my favorite of all 5 series. Then I got into TNG etc. during high school.

DS9 is the best!

Enterprise had its moments. But it also had its shameful moments as well. I hated the scene in Broken Bow with T'Pol and Trip rubbing each other down...the images and the lame dialogue is almost enough to make you throw up your gagh!

Thankfully, they don't resort to that sort of stuff too often and it is tolerable for the rest of the series (for the most part.)

My thoughts on Enterprise: Phlox did a great job of fulfilling the Dr. role. I definitely like him more than Crusher and Bashir.

Scott Bakula was a good choice and did well. But maybe I'm biased because I liked Quantum Leap too.

Mayweather was underused and Hoshi was overused.

The series needed more Romulans and fewer Xindi stories.

Shran is awesome! Jeffrey Combs is probably my favorite non-star character in Trek. (He also played Weyoun in DS9 and a few other aliens.) That guy can act!

The 2nd season was decent--The 4th is great, but calls upon nostalgia to TOS (original series) too often; but not in a good way. It smelt of desperation and seemed forced at times.

Enjoy your future Treks!

edit on 18-8-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

"I am the seer of the tapes! Knower of the episodes!"--Melllvar, Futurama.

That cracked me up

I liked Enterprise very much.The episode "in a mirror darkly" is one of the best in the franchise and the final episode makes me cry every time.Especially the part from 0:23

DS9 is the best!

I'll pretend i didn't read that
You meant of course The original is the best.

Just kidding.DS9 was amazing.So many great stories and the main storyline so beautifully created.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Phantom traveller

In no particular order, I'd say my favorite Enterprise episodes are: North Star (That's the one in the cowboy town, right? Because I always get the titles confused with the Twilight episode,)

Cogenitor, (I love the episodes that deal with controversial social issues)

the arc with Brent Spiner as Soong was my favorite arc of episodes,

and the one with the blind Andorians (can't seem to remember the name right now and I'm too lazy to check.)

Oh yeah, and probably Carbon Creek--even though I'm not a fan of T'Pol. But that one was probably the best of the series right there.

I'd say it's a really close race between TOS, TNG, and DS9 for me. Each series has a special place in my heart and I was going through a different thing during my discovery of each series. I can't really choose between the three!

But there's just something very special about DS9 that you can't help but not love about it. I for one love the continuing story lines and the growth of the characters. I love seeing Jake and Nog still used in interesting ways in the last few seasons. I love Odo's slow awakening as to who and what he is and where he comes from. You gotta love any episode centered around Miles O'Brien. Weyoun, Dukat, and Nurse Ratched (that one Bajoran woman who always screws with Kira) are the best villains ever!

The only thing I don't like about DS9 was Ezri Dax. She was easy on the eyes, but I hated her character and the actress who played her was annoying! Oh yeah, and the only episode I don't really like was Muse.

Voyager is still highly enjoyable in many ways for me. I think the EMH doctor ranks right up there with DeForest Kelley as McCoy in performance. Voyager was good, but it just lacks some of the charm of the older series. And Enterprise seems to follow suit with this feeling too. Brannon Braga, maybe? That guy is certainly devoid of any charm whatsoever

The biggest shame of TOS is that their 5 year mission got canceled after 3 years

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Ezri was kind of a cute little girl, Jadzia was a warrior(plus we had 6 seasons to get to know her).
To be honest i didn't like Jake very much,something about this guy...
I'm crazy about Garak.I love the character and i love the actor.He was so sweet most of the times,but you could see in his eyes that he was a very dangerous man with a lot of secrets.
My all time favourite character was Martok.The best Klingon ever.A fierce warrior,who survived the Jem Hadar prison and he is scared of his wife.
The villains were amazing.For the first time in sci-fi history,they weren't just evil guys.
I mean even the Founders,they had a fear for solids.Weyoun explains it in an episode,when he tells how the Vorta came to be the way the are.
Gul Dukat turned out to be the ultimate evil,but still in the end he had lost his mind completely.

I loved the episodes with time travel.Trials and Tribble-ations,Little Green Men,Past tense and Far Beyond the Stars(which technically isn't time travel,but it had the feeling).

Voyager is my least favourite and i agree the Doctor was the best character.There are only a few episodes i really like and there were many holes in the scenario.
And don't get me started with Janeway and Kim

The biggest shame of TOS is that their 5 year mission got canceled after 3 years

The five year mission continued and finished in the animated series.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Phantom traveller

Ezri was definitely cute! The finest woman to ever wear a Starfleet uniform (and a cocktail dress in Badda-Bing Badda Bang or whatever that episode was called. But I'm a sucker for short hair on women. Kira Nerys anyone?

Characters like Garak and Martok and heck, even Rom made DS9 great. There weren't really any heroes on DS9 either; just ordinary people (except maybe Sisko haha) trying to do the right thing. Such a great show and all the minor characters are what made it great.

Doesn't the same actor that does Weyoun also play Brunt, the Ferengi? Brunt is another brilliant character played by a talented actor. He also plays the best character on Enterprise too (Shran.) Oh yeah, and the Grand Nagus HAHA Hilarious stuff.

You see what you did now? That show was so great! But I still have to finish season three of TOS and all of TNG (TOS and TNG movies included) before I get back to DS9

Dukat's slow descent into madness was soooo good. Those writers are probably still congratulating themselves to this day. Episodes like "Waltz" were some of the best.

Oh, and "The Visitor" makes me cry every time I watch it. Maybe that's because I didn't really grow up with a father around. That's without a doubt the most touching episode of television EVER!!! I don't care what genre we're talking about, that is the best 45 minutes of television ever produced.

Sorry, OP. You started an Enterprise thread, but I turned it into a DS9 thread. Feel free to put it back on track!

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
You know, it kind of bothers me when EvilSadamClone never replies to any of my posts to his threads
I mean, here I thought I found another Trek buddy who I can discuss the material with, but how wrong I was!

edit on 2-9-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Sorry, you didn't ask me anything and I didn't know what else to say.

top topics

join