It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling all "Fighters", a new debate series.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

Good. If another member pops in, you're first in the queue. Right now, everyone is matched up.

Confusion? We are talented!

Also, there is open judging in a few debates, so you're in the judging pool. You may get a u2u and a thread link if your judging opinion is required.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
The MoonLandings Were Real

Debate has been posted.

I will be hosting.

This debate is open judgement according to what the members have requested, I would like clarification on this please.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Alright.

To clarify.

ALL topics MUST be approved by a staff member. NO topics have been grandfathered.

Topics must be SERIOUS ATS topics, not ones we would find in BTS.

As such the Star Wars debate, will not be allowed to occur.

It will be removed shortly. I apologize for any confusion, but as with any new thing, there will be bumps and glitches along the way. Please select an appropriate ATS related topic to debate and have one of the staff approve it.

Also it is IMPERATIVE that we contact and ASK judges to particpate, before expecting them to do so.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Definitions:

Anonymous judging: The previous method used by staff to decide debate winners, which resulted in a bottleneck and ended with a strain on staff members. Not feasible for long term results.

Assigned judging: Members and staff are listed in the debate thread by the host. They are the final decision, and decided upon before commencement of the debate.

Open judging: The most practical form of judging in which staff and any member with fighter status may be a debate judge. This "pool" of judges allows for quick conclusions of debates, as well as alleviating the necessity of the same individuals repeatedly being required to judge. It brings in variety, and helps to round out an individual's critical thinking skills, by allowing them to participate on both sides of the field.

Of course, those are only my own definitions, tailored to fit this situation.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
For more clarity:

Fighters wishing to start debate threads, who have been pre-approved for this ability must:

1) Contact a debate moderator ( as listed here ) and ask if their debate idea flies or not.

2) If a debate mod agrees with the rough debate idea. the member must then submit their thread - before posting it - to the same staff member for review.

3) Once that is done then the person starting the debate must also U2U the same staff member when the debate is posted that that staff can review and verify everything.

Hope that helps to work out a bit of the initial confusion!

BTW so far so good and thanks to everyone involved in getting this forum back up and kicking!

~Heff

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Duly noted.

Thanks for the updates to protocol. Will act accordingly from now on.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Pinke

Just a general 'happy to be challenged' post.

Topics I enjoy relating include new media, social issues, long walks on the beach, and the purpose of sarcasm in every day speech. ;p

Mostly anything really. Always wanted to do the moon landing thing. Actually I might pester somoene about that.

Congratulations, Pinke. I must say I wanted to take you up, but I did not have Fighter status. I hope to take you on next!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Sorry about some of the confusion guys and gals. We are trying to get this thing sorted out and running on all cylinders.

Appreciate the patience and apologize for any problems it causes. Before we know it though, the Debate forum will be the best forum on ATS again and hopefully it will remain that way.

You folks are all awesome for jumping in and getting this thing kick started again. I think I may have told you all that already but it bears repeating.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

I think we are covering all the possible flaws as we go along. There are a lot of good ideas, and we'll get the best of them in the end.

A bit of confusion helps to clarify. The staff is more than capable. I'm liking what I see so far.

Thumbs up to the staff!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

You have Fighter status now. Hmm.

You'll be a formidable opponent in a debate, of that, I'm sure!

Good to see you drop by, and pick up a debate....

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
The fun debate????

Got a pm and a link saying my debate with the loaded rabbit was good to go.

Clicked that link and it was 404'd...

Just wondering what was up.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by W3RLIED2

Was that the Star Wars debate by chance?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Indeed it was.

Trekkies suxor.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

That one got nixed unfortunately. I actually would love to be involved in that conversation however as I think Darth Vader would kick Kirk and Pickards collective butts!

As we restructure and get things moving you'll get a new debate - though I can't guarantee any specific topic!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I hate to be that guy... Again.

However, that pretty much sucks ass.

Please tell me this is not going to turn into the serious only discussion forum. Debates can be about more things than the most hardcore of the various spectrums. We can still maintain a respectable, entertaining, and regulated debate on a topic that is entirely NOT serious.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

I can't say for yet whether lighter side debates will be allowed or not yet mate.

We are talking about it and we do want it to fun for everyone.

Again, just have some patience with us please, it's a work in progress right now.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

That one got nixed unfortunately. I actually would love to be involved in that conversation however as I think Darth Vader would kick Kirk and Pickards collective butts!

As we restructure and get things moving you'll get a new debate - though I can't guarantee any specific topic!

I've never wanted to "throw down" on a mod before.

But don't (hysterical high voice) ever bad mouth the Picard or the Kirk!

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Eep!

I'll get onto starting debate soon. Have reread the rules and they seem fairly easy to follow.

Time wise I should be okayish once things get a little ramped up. Didn't expect to have the debate started so quickly, but I should be able to open soon and reply very early next week if opponent responds by then.

G'luck.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Pinke

Opponent is ready when you are.

And Good Luck to you too ! The subject should be Fun !!

~Son.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
how the heck, these newer posts weren't showing in my favs, grrr..

I'm still open to debate

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join