It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My rant on Microsoft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
You all probably have heard this one before but I am really starting to hate Microsoft. If I could I would switch to Macintosh in a heart beat! But Macs are to expensive now. They are just starting to become one big headache now. They are trying to force Windows XP users to switch to windows 7 by 2014(at least that's what one ATS member posted a thread about), the Xbox 360 by far is one of the worst video game consoles ever conceived in the 21st century and over all they are a money grubbing evil corporation or at least they are starting to become one. They ruined the Netflix app beyond belief. The Netflix app on the Xbox 360 for 2012-13 looks like it was put together in less than a week by college interns. You cant even choose an episode when you select a show and it makes an annoyingly unnecessary scroll sound that you would eventually just want to mute and the search engine needs work like a keyboard for starters and the app itself loads allot slower than on computer when it is searching for something or starting a program.

Xbox live itself is a huge headache. I mean come on adds for movies and video games and other junk when you are paying $60 a year for a "gold" membership??? And also the live cards are a total rip off. for example you want to get a three month Xbox live gold card but they are like $25.(That's $300 a year if you do it that way continuously.) That's to much for only three months. If you ask me $5 or $10 for three months sounds like a better deal. (personally its only worth $1 for a year at most to me) Also when you try to remove a credit card when you are in payment options they wont let you from the Xbox accounts easily anyway. and whats with having to pay for a gold live account to get Netflix to work on Xbox??? The only things I would probably give Microsoft props for is the halo franchise, Microsoft flight simulator and Windows XP as their good creations.

Microsoft fans I am sorry if I had gotten on your bad side about what I said about Microsoft, but some of what I talked about are both facts and honest my opinions about Microsoft. I guess its like General Motors vs. Ford. But with computers and other technology developed by technology manufacturing corporations there are more facts on how much better one is than the other. I guess its true with automotive companies to sometimes. Anyway let me know what you think about my rant and help me compare whats good and bad about Microsoft and Macintosh.
edit on 17-8-2012 by paranormal78 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-8-2012 by paranormal78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Heard of ubuntu much.

Try it.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by paranormal78
You all probably have heard this one before but I am really starting to hate Microsoft. If I could I would switch to Macintosh in a heart beat!

And you're one of the very few that will ever say that. Every single person I know (and don't know) wish they had never bought a Mac, and would've bought a Windows PC instead. The only thing a Mac has going for it is good music editing software, but there is plenty comparable software on a Windows PC.

Needless to say, you can do the same and more (like playing video games that you can't on a Mac) on a Windows PC that you can't do on a Mac.

It's also the same way on an Android phone/tablet versus the Apple iPad/iPhone. You have the full internet on Android, but not on Apple's products because Apple banned Flash player. Basically, Apple restricts what you can or cannot do on their products while Android is open-source.

Screw Apple and their limitations and their restrictions. That's what I say.

They are trying to force Windows XP users to switch to windows 7 by 2014

No they're not. They're just not going to support or update Windows XP past that date. Windows XP will still be able to be used on any PC if you don't feel like upgrading to Windows 7. But, as smooth as Windows 7 runs on any machine, and how relatively inexpensive it is right now, why not just upgrade?

It seems the rest of your post is a dislike for Xbox and the Xbox live service. So, trash the Xbox, cancel the service, and get a Playstation 3. The Playstation service is free, and the Netflix app works just fine.

Edit to add that your dislike for Xbox and the Xbox service have nothing to do with Macs. Buying a Mac won't make the Xbox service better.

edit on 17-8-2012 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Vote with your wallet - throw your Windows PC out a window. =]

Microsoft is fine. WindowsXP is outdated. You cannot expect a company to support a product forever.

Why is Windows better than Mac? Open platform means lower prices for better computers. Macs have the hipster demographic, and they've been able to plant the idea in the brains of the mindless masses that Macintosh is better, hipper, etc, but the reality is competition is good for the consumer. There is no competition when it comes to producing Apple computers.

Windows OS's and Mac OS both have their problems. One might be better than the other in some areas, but overall they are a very similar product.

Windows XP is almost 11 years old. Does your car come with an 11 year warranty and constant updates/retrofits?

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Google took the mobile market like candy from baby, give them a year to take over the PC market and buy one of their PC's, or go with a Linux build like ubuntu or mint.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Well since this in the Rant forum,I won't give you too much hell.

Sounds to me like you're bitching about a whole bunch of nothing

Why would you buy the 3 month card for xbox live if they're $25 each? And it's $100 a year,not $300 like you claim.Not to mention you can get the year for roughly $50 so I'm not sure why you're complaining about that.Bitching to bitch,I guess

And I'm not even going to get into your windows rant.You have windows xp?! And you're pissed microsoft isn't going to be supporting it anymore? Did I read that right?
edit on 17-8-2012 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Have you even used Windows 7? It runs circles around XP, and every other Windows before it. Once it's configured properly, it's faster, smoother, and utilizes memory and CPU cycles far more efficiently than XP ever did.

Far be it from me to praise MS, or the computer industry, they're a bunch of grifters to say the least. But I certainly don't want that industry to become as stagnant as our infrastructure technology has.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Have you even used Windows 7?
Yes I have and its not all that different asside from its apperance and slightly better performance. An office computer I use has windows 7 and my home computer uses windows XP. but I kinda like my old windows XP somewhat better. It dose use similar programs that windows XP uses like microsoft security esc and other programs that are still supported on windows XP. Other programs like some older XP computer games could run 7 so I'm not in a hurry to go out and get windows 7 on my home computer. I guess I'm just used to the feel of windows XP.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

And it's $100 a year,not $300
reply to post by nightstalker78

Woops my bad my math was wrong but I still think live on 360 is over priced for what it is. Playstation Network is free and it has no adds. Xbox live you pay and there are adds.

edit on 18-8-2012 by paranormal78 because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-8-2012 by paranormal78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

You all probably have heard this one before but I am really starting to hate Microsoft. If I could I would switch to Macintosh in a heart beat! But Macs are to expensive now.

Macs have always been expensive, and that's kind of the issue. A PC is an appliance. As a home user its purpose is to get you on the Internet and maybe do some word processing. You may have some hobby software, too, to take care of your music or your pics, but most home users do not need an ultra-fast multi-thousand dollar PC.

A Windows-based PC costs less than $500. A Mac is much more. If you are tech-oriented and willing to futz about a bit, there's always Linux. Good luck getting your device drivers squared away, but hey. That's your problem. So it's just like a diswasher. You can pay $1500 for the coolest Bosch dishwasher around with a bazillion cycles and stainless steel insides, or you can buy a Maytag for $500 that doesn't have as many options. Both will wash your dishes for from 5-10 years. Then they wear out. If the "cool factor: is worth $1000 to you, knock yourself out.

I've used, installed, and supported every release of MS-DOS and Windows ever produced in a business environment of several hundred people, plus CP/M, Novell, Lantastic, and several flavors of Unix. I still have a small HP laptop that runs Windows 3.1. From the standpoint of someone who must support other people using Windows, other people who are sometimes daft, slow, uncooperative, and even antagonistic, I have to say that Windows 7 is by far the best release I have ever worked with. It's FAST! PCs will boot in 1 minute 15 seconds. Try that with XP. Try that with Linux. It's auto-networking capabilities are superb--much better than XP. I would rather use Windows Millennium than XP for networking. It's ability to attach to peripherals is very good. If it doesn't have a device driver for your weird pringter, it will go find one for you.

In terms of Microsoft not supporting XP ina few years, I wouldn;t worry about it. The OS will last a lot longer than your PC. I replaced my 10 year old XP-based PC a few months ago with a new Windows 7 based PC and when I was all done, the old PC wouldn't even boot. I call that a "just in time" upgrade.

So, bottom line is a) Windows 7 is a fine product. b) The marketplace is full of alternatives, so if you don't "like" Micosoft products, take your business elsewhere. Your choice.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

reply to post by Klassified

Have you even used Windows 7?
Yes I have and its not all that different asside from its apperance and slightly better performance. An office computer I use has windows 7 and my home computer uses windows XP. but I kinda like my old windows XP somewhat better. It dose use similar programs that windows XP uses like microsoft security esc and other programs that are still supported on windows XP. Other programs like some older XP computer games could run 7 so I'm not in a hurry to go out and get windows 7 on my home computer. I guess I'm just used to the feel of windows XP.

I hear ya. I have customers, and even my own wife who don't want to move from XP. Even though the pro's outweigh the cons in the way of performance and future compatibility. It's what they're all used to, and they don't like change. Yet I have others you couldn't pay to go back to XP. It's just the way things are, and I'm cool with that.

I have my own old things and ways I don't want to give up, so I really can't say much...

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Just throwing this out there and I don't know if it has yet been stated but what about Microsoft helping the NYPD with their "awesome" system that can track the streets of NY in real time? Including but not limited to recognition ....IN REAL TIME? I have always preferred a PC, but now I must switch.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
OK OK I guess I exaggerated a bit when I said Microsoft is "evil" amongst other things I have said about them. They are a pretty good company, but they do have products out there that need a serious overhaul! Microsoft's Xbox live for 2012 does need allot of work as does their customer service support for Xbox live. I guess $55 to $60 a year for live isn't so bad I just wish there was better customer service and they shouldn't have so many adds thrown in.

As for Macintosh, the only real complaint I would have for them is their level of compatibility and lack of video games for their newer computers. They used to have allot more computer games back in the 90's when I was a kid and my family had their first Mac. Macintosh computers and some other products are seriously overpriced and most people agree here. $2,000 for a Macintosh desktop computer when I could build one myself that runs better for half the price??? What the hell Mac???

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I had to learn on DOS. So I will always be grateful for Windows.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

edit on 24-8-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

PCs will boot in 1 minute 15 seconds. Try that with XP. Try that with Linux.

PCLinuxOS 64. Boots from encryption password input to log in in 22 seconds.

new topics

top topics

join