It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious weather phenomenon captured in unprecedented detail by astronauts

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

It's very hard to see in the video, but look at the screenshot below the video. There is some red filamentary structure above the lightning "blob". That is the sprite.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
That is totally awesome footage simply beautiful

I had a thread going a few years back and the topic of sprites came up
Have a look here at some more info and clips of sprites

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by MmmPie
reply to post by eye0see0with0my0third0eye

I'm pretty sure it's all of them, the visible portion of them. The light we see rises from the ground up, however the initial connection between the negative charge of the bottom portion of a cloud and the positive charge of the earth travels from the sky towards the Earth. I haven't studied any of this in more than ten years, but I'm pretty sure this is how it works?

Anyway, back to the thread at hand. That secondary burst from the video had to of been MASSIVE. It's pretty big from the vantage point, I could only imagine the damage that could have caused on the surface if it did in fact strike something.

I believe it works both ways. Sometimes the step-leader initiates the transfer and heads upwards. Yet, other times, it is very obvious that the flow of electrons is started from above.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Yosemite Sam

Sprites are really interesting in that there are no obvious discharge attractants.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Electric Universe?

Just know that they are fascinating. Pilots have been seeing them for years until a couple of rigged up planes actually went looking for them and found them back in the mid '90s IIRC.

www.spritesandjets.com...

Nice little picture representation of sprites, jets and elves.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Since the first time I heard about (and seen images) of this I faced it naturally. Felt logical an not that "weird", all this in a very intuitive way I mean.

Afterall, doesn't "every action has an equal and opposite reaction"?

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace

It's very hard to see in the video, but look at the screenshot below the video. There is some red filamentary structure above the lightning "blob". That is the sprite.
That's not a screenshot from the video, it's from another source and dates back to 1994.
That's my point, there's nothing in the video like that.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by wildespace

That's not a screenshot from the video, it's from another source and dates back to 1994.
That's my point, there's nothing in the video like that.

Here's the screenshot, the first image in the article: www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 20-8-2012 by wildespace because: image included

top topics

<< 1   >>

join