posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 01:57 PM
Having ADHD myself, as well as experience with Ritalin i can tell you:
- in the begining ritalin helped me to get out of depressions, get more focused in the job, and it was interesting to see how 'normal' people must
-after some weeks it changed, i felt the ritalin kicking in, and i felt it leaving after a couple of hours, both paired with headaches. As well i felt
like a mindless zombie, no more emotions (except for the high when taking ritalin, and the down when it left), no more compassion, no creativity.
So it can help, but as well it can be the opposite.
apart from medications there are some very important measures that can be taken (not all work with everybody, but worked with me, and are common
- diet with nearly no sugar (no sodas, no energy drinks as well) use green tea for the little lows.
- keep regular schedules in the days, with enough relax times and sleep
- let you son do sports (whatever he likes) regularly, good is something with some thrills involved, does not have to be basejumping... I had good
results with martial arts (judo, fencing or so)
- let him be creative, introduce him to painting, making music, reading, writing.
- be very patient with him, i know adhd kids can be a pain in the ass for parents sometimes . Take him serious, but let him play and give him love.
- i don't know your family situation, it seems the parents don t live together, this is something that can stress the sensitive adhd kid. So please
show him that he gets love from both parents and keep him out of arguments between mom and dad (i am not saying that i assume you having arguments or
any thing like it, just stating that adhd kids are very sensitive to difficult family situations)
Hope i could help.