It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone know anything about an ADHD drug called Vyvanse?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
My sons mother, without my consent or or consultation had him put on this med because the school says hes ADHD, I say this is bullspit. I dont think ANY 9 year old child should be on meds.
Until I can get the courts involved, i need to know what to watch out for. I read all the info i can on it, but I'd like a personal perspective on what might happen.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Google

edit on 17-8-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

I knew a woman who's son was put on this for ADHD. She hated it! Said her son had terrible mood swings, and outbursts. Careful

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Get court action as soon as possible my friend. ADHD does not exist. Why would anyone want to make their kid a speed freak.

In case you don't know most ADHD drugs are stimulants. Counter-Intuitive i know but stimulants make you focus on minutiae and over analyse and result in high dopamine release. In other words addiction. The only deficit that ADHD patients suffer from is the attention of the adults around them.

This is a nonsense of the highest order.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

This youtube user video 'blogs' her experiences and feelings over several months on Vyvanse.

Vyvanse Day 1 - 4-5 months
edit on 17-8-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
From what I've heard, it is slightly less powerful, less likely to be abused, ect than Ritilan and Adderol. The only side effect I noticed in my friends were mood swings.

But I'm no doctor...then again, neither is the school.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Have you seen the possible side effects??

Ask yourself, is it worth it? Medication should be last resort, only. Kids can be over active, that's natural. Drugs aren't.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeliriumAquarium
From what I've heard, it is slightly less powerful, less likely to be abused, ect than Ritilan and Adderol. The only side effect I noticed in my friends were mood swings.

But I'm no doctor...then again, neither is the school.

Can I ask how many friends you are talking about.

These drugs are mind altering. At the prescribed minimum age (7 years old) your mind is not fully formed.

Again this is nonsense.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I don't know about that particular drug, but I am in the same boat as you. My ex-wife decided my 9 year old son (now 11) was "out of control" and had him put on Ritalin. Without my prior knowledge, and without my consent. I have joint legal custody of my son.

I immediately contacted the doctor and had him removed from this drug. I don't know what your "legal" situation is with custody of your child, but if you are opposed to him being on this.. I would say move on it as soon as possible. Before any side effects or physical addiction takes place.

Again I don't know much about this particular drug, but reading your post just brought me right back to what happened with my 9-year old. And it was so wrong. He is 11 (almost 12) now and hasn't been on any sort of ADHD meds. And guess what. He's doing just fine.

I feel for you in your situation... hopefully everything works out for you.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by murch

You're right, sorry.

Was only talking about a few friends, all adults. Nowhere near decent advice.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DeliriumAquarium

NO, I was interested in how many people you know that take these type of drugs. Was not meant as criticism.

Please,if you know people that taken these meds then share/

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Finding the right drug for ADHD can be difficult, as many people react in very different ways to the different medications.

I was prescribed Ritalin and Adderall when I was younger and hated them. Sped me up to fast, made me angry, mood swings... etc. Vyvanse is the one drug that I liked. It doesnt have a loading period like most of the rest of them do so you can take it when you need it (follow doctors orders tho!).

My GF takes Vyvanse, but takes a much larger does than I do.

Im just saying that people vary on how they react to these things. Your son might do well on Vyvanse, he might hate it. But you should expect to float between different doses of 2-3 drugs before they get it nailed down.

I can also say from experience that ADD/ADHD is a real thing. Ive dealt with it from younger years to my adult life, and while I can force myself to function without meds, that does cause anxiety. Being on the right meds does make it much easier and relieves the anxiety that comes from trying to "brute force" your way through ADD issues.

My $0.02

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
My personal experience: I have a son that was what some might catagorize as ADD. He is a bit dificult, has been since around 2 that I noticed it. I recognized his personality, since he is just like a little sister of mine, so I knew how to deal with him and never saw a doctor for his personality. That is what it is, a personality. Boys in particular, are very easily distracted, and bored. Not all of them, but it's quite common for boys. Unless, your child is truly a danger to others, I say no drugs! ADHD Drugged kids are the result of of taking the easy way out of dealing with high maintenance personality kids. There are ways to work with ADD, ADHD kids, it's a lot of work, but there are ways. The drugs are just that, drugs. The kids need more and more as they get used to it, and then it can become an addiction.

***I will say this, this is only my Opinion. But I will also say, my son has gotten better and better, year by year, not perfect, but he will do fine in life because we don't look at it as a problem, more of a different mindset.

Look up "A Hunter in a Farmer's World" changed our life.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I don't have joint custody..YET, but now I am looking into family lawyers in my area and I will get it and put a stop to it, and if I can I WILL get full custody of him.
I agree with a previousoster, all boys are hyper, no FRAKKIN reason to be on any meds!
She KNEW my stance on it and did it BEHIND MY BACK

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by murch

I disagree. I have a 6 year old who is not only autistic, but diagnosed as ADHD on top of it. Now, I am not a new parent. I have kids from college age to pre school. His first year of Kindergarten, he attacked his teacher. His physical outbursts were becoming more frequent and more violent. He is currently on Vyvance and is doing well.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I take it.

Expect his emotions to be intensified, meaning
happy= super happy
Mad=ready to fight
sad=extremely depressed

Would not recommend this for a kid his age.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Grynch

How long have you been taking it?

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Around 8 months so far, my doctor also gave me a decently high mg so that might be the case. I tend to daydream a lot and will wake back up into reality and have no idea what went on. All I can tell you is that stuff seems to last waaaaay longer than other brands, so if he does take it he better take it at breakfast or it'll be a sleepless night. Maybe it was just the job (I worked in a plant) but I lost like 20 pounds in a month and a half. Going from 160 to 140 so make sure he eats.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I've taken these medications ever since I was in 2nd grade, hasn't affected me psychologically which is a good sign I guess. Adderall is definitely not good in my eyes, the rush is too intense. Straterra turned me into a zombie and so did Ritalin. Vyvanse has to be the best personally but the amphetamine part just isn't fun. I don't like that

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
I dont think ANY 9 year old child should be on meds.

After years of filling the narcotics dispensing machine (PYXIS) in the children/adolescent psych unit, I can tell you with %100 certainty that there are PLENTY or 9 year olds that NEED to be on meds. I watched a technician lose part of his hand to an 8 year old's teeth over "free time" in the rec room.

That said, I take my daughter to the doctor if she needs to go (I have shared custody) as I know her mother will just say ok to whatever they want to put her on. I even went to ridiculous lengths to find a Pediatrician that used single dose vials or pre-filled syringes for her vaccinations (low to no thimerosal content, it's used as a preservative and anti-microbial for multi dose vials) even though I don't necessarily buy into the vaccination thing.

Only you can decide how you're going to handle the situation but I will say if there really is evidence of some sort of problem or disorder, Vyvanse has WAAAAY fewer risks than most if not all of the other drugs used for this kind of thing.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join