It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prevailing belief and disease/health..sickness a self sullfilling prophecy? Relates to baseball

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I'm hoping to get some opinions on human health in the context of a spiritual/soul/God based existence.

There is much discussion promoting the idea that thought creates reality...

Things like the law of attraction..

Or enhancing vital energy sources...

So what do you all think the root of disease is? Could it be based on assumptions learned as children? Is the stress and fear of ailments causing them? Are physical ailments the expression of a mental issue that needs resolving?

Does the apex mindstate result in an incorruptable body?

I'd like to provide a speculative example, as a baseball fan. In today's Major League Baseball, it is considered exceptional for a pitcher to throw more than 250 innings in a season and even dangerous to go beyond that. One of the leagues best pitchers(Stephen Strasburg) has a limit of 180 innings this season after having arm surgery last year. Arm soreness and tendonitis are rampant among pitchers and because of this talented young arms are coddled.

Compare this to the beginning of the league itself, when there were 200 seperate instances of a pitcher throwing 400 or more innings before 1900 with the top 13 on the list exceeding 600.

Did arms remain healthier because they never considered tendonitis back then? Are young pitchers falling victim to the stress of a common injury associated with their occupation?

Are all common illnesses a simple result of fear/stress running rampant in our systems? Do cigarrettes cause cancer or does the belief that they cause cancer cause cancer?

Tips to defeat disease from philosophical/metaphysical standpoint?
edit on 17-8-2012 by MassOccurs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MassOccurs

"That which I have feared most has come upon me" The Book of Job...
Let me give you a personal example:

My youngest son got involved with a woman who was epileptic. He began suffering seizures himself, and there is no history of epilepsy in our family. His seizures didn't begin until approximately one year after living with this woman.
Now that they have been separated for several years, the seizures have also disappeared...
edit on 8/17/2012 by visualmiscreant because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/17/2012 by visualmiscreant because: changed tense

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Degrees of effect, would be my best guess. If you harness your mind more, or if your mind is more capable, the degree to which it pushes back for the sustaining of your body is probable, but then again, proving this would be difficult.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I think the mind - body connection is capable of many things science has yet to discover. But then if what you say is true I must really hate myself to feel this way all the time! LOL

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Yes and no; in some cases you can make yourself sick by believing that you are sick; basically, the mind manipulates the body into creating symptoms of sickness. Still, though, if you fall into a pit of HIV needles, you're probably going to contract HIV, lol.

Personally I think that weakness in the immune system has much to do with diet, exercise, and cortisol levels. I stopped eating junk foods a few months back and I have not been sick since, whereas I would, on average, become sick once every 1-2 months.

As for physical injury, I don't know; repeated abuse of muscles will cause damage to those muscles. There are, of course, exceptions to the norm, but these exceptions usually come from people who have trained their mind's an body's to prepare for grueling physical activity.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MassOccurs

Just know that what you are suggesting is Truth. The underlying idea is true.

But it is not necessarily based in linear time. It's more like a chicken and the egg.

Meaning.. I am born into belief, my being before a physical manifestation is a product of "belief".

There are kids born everyday with all kinds of conditions. My belief in the power of belief (meta-belief) is at play as well. The law of attraction tries to offer some kind of way to harness one's belief. But it doesn't quite work like that unless you truly believe it. And our belief is governed by those whom we have assigned our own will over too. If you can fully reclaim your will then your belief which becomes fully aligned with truth, can be fully harnessed... and to do much more than heal oneself. But it to is restricted in historical demonstrations of what is possible.

The most effective recorded and documented drug to ever exist is placebo. There are numerous books and studies on this fact. Most times placebo outperforms new drugs by a long shot and still those drugs are approved and may even work for quite awhile until belief in the drug in society breaks down.. And the effect of the drug itself changes!

This world operates on belief.
edit on 17-8-2012 by rwfresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

I wonder if the modern mind is at a disadvantage when trying to harness mental control because of all the medical jargon and popular paradigm that sickness is often the result of a virus or bacteria behaving in the Darwinist fashion, no different than a bird eating worms.

I have some notion that what I suggested is possible, but it's difficult to seperate from conditioning.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by rwfresh

You sound like you know what you're talking about, but unless you're in a state of perfect health, your credibility is damaged...can you offer assurance there.

Brings up the question, what exactly is perfect health? Are there some sicknesses so common that they are not seen as defective? Should a person in optimum condition be able to heal others at a touch? Or walk over hot coals? Survive without food/water?

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
my wife and i were talking the other day and i mentioned how i havent been sick in over 5 years!

i said, maybe i'm immortal.

she said, please dont let anyone hear you say that. lol

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MassOccurs
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

I wonder if the modern mind is at a disadvantage when trying to harness mental control because of all the medical jargon and popular paradigm that sickness is often the result of a virus or bacteria behaving in the Darwinist fashion, no different than a bird eating worms.

I have some notion that what I suggested is possible, but it's difficult to seperate from conditioning.

Absolutely.. but i don't think the ancient mind was any different. They just held different beliefs.. nomenclature was different.. but the same effect. And yeah the conditioning is everything and if you don't believe you can overcome it it's unlikely you will. And by you i just mean anyone.

How do we truly believe that we are capable of completely overcoming our debilitating belief? Generally we looked to examples in the world around us or in history of those who have accomplished what we want for ourselves. If we can see it outside of ourselves it becomes a possibility and that possibility is the birth of the belief that we ourselves can overcome. I am not a Christian but that is the story of Jesus in a nutshell. Buddha too.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by rwfresh

Not sure if you missed my reply to your first post...

Asking if you're willing to discuss whether your beliefs are reflected in your own physical healthf so to lend credibility.

If so, was there a time when you were not healthy? Can you describe your experience of overcoming? Was it more spontaneous/instantaneous or gradual? Emphasis on overcoming physical health ailments.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by MassOccurs
reply to post by rwfresh

Not sure if you missed my reply to your first post...

Asking if you're willing to discuss whether your beliefs are reflected in your own physical healthf so to lend credibility.

If so, was there a time when you were not healthy? Can you describe your experience of overcoming? Was it more spontaneous/instantaneous or gradual? Emphasis on overcoming physical health ailments.

Just re-read after writing the big load below.. But every time it has been gradual to begin with and then accelerates to the point of some really cool experiences of empowerment. It is like rolling something up a hill, hitting the top and then just nailing down full speed.. in a good way.

--------------------------

Well.. i definitely believe that my beliefs are responsible for my condition. Rather than what i eat or do. BUT i have strongly rooted beliefs in what i eat and what i do (exercise) that i am not really able to overcome on demand. I have been very unhealthy at times in my life. Overweight by 50+ pounds.. weak, sick. Now at 40 i am moving into health again and right now am stronger and more fit than i have ever been. I have a bad shoulder that i know are beliefs manifested physically. Currently my health related project
. I fully believe it will be completely overcome in time. The way i approach my health is by catering to my beliefs. I look for a diet (and i don't necessarily mean weight loss, more what and how you eat) and exercise that i believe will work and then i apply myself and results absolutely follow. There is always a building up of will. If you exercise your will by directing and acting on your belief it becomes more effective. I know that reading this could sound like a bunch of bs that essentially demonstrates physical application of diet and exercise produces results... But there is more too it. Will is something very real and the more you cultivate it the more powerful you become in directing it. And the way you do that is by exhausting your beliefs so as to reveal their lack of substance. When you do that you are empowered with what is true rather than the beliefs. Great athletic feats are achieved one step at a time. Each victory lending to the possibility of the ultimate feat. The evolution of world records being broken is demonstration that anything is possible.

But yes, times in my life i have experienced big leaps in physical health, healing. I stay away from doctors unless there is something i honestly cannot overcome a belief that tells me i need it. Like if my arm was torn off in an accident i don't have the will power to grow a new one or to stop the bleeding by directing my blood supply.
But testing out those beliefs in modern diet and medicine have allowed me to become free of a lot of bad western medicine. Again it's all voodoo.. If you hand over your will to someone or something it will eventually disappoint.

If i contracted cancer or some other disease i would definitely seek the root cause of the disease on a psycho-emotional level because it is my strong belief that western medicine cannot cure diseases like cancer and so i would not benefit from treatment like others might. It is also my strong belief that those diseases are caused by (lack of)honesty with oneself and understanding of oneself so investigating this would likely produce great results.. Again because it is what i believe.

My current health related focus is on functional strength and flexibility. And in 3 months i have lost 20 pounds of fat, gained about 10 pounds of muscle and increased major lifts by 50-100%. Even with a shoulder that keeps trying to convince me I've done some irreparable damage.
I don't believe it yet. And prior to the 3 months i could not find ANY approach that i believed in.. and so was not cultivating my health. The latest thing i believe in is /r/fitness on reddit . But will i believe it for ever? Probably not.. because the truth is my belief drives me not the things i believe in. I have an underlying belief that anything is possible. Anything. Our bodies respond to a blueprint that on the most fundamental level we control. The blueprint is written with our beliefs and each time we face a health challenge is an opportunity to overcome the belief that caused it.. Not everyone is given the opportunity. Many children are born with incredible physical challenges that society would not and cannot believe could be overcome.

new topics

top topics

join