It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Simple Solar Oven Makes Salt Water Drinkable

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Ahhh AWESOME?! I think yes.

And it's OPEN SOURCE.

It functions by filling the black boiler with salty sea water in the morning, then tightening the cap. As the temperature and pressure grows, steam is forced downwards through a connection pipe and collects in the lid, which acts as a condenser, turning the steam into fresh water. Once Diamanti established the fundamentals were sound, he experimented with a series of concepts for the aesthetic of the object. “My goal was to design something friendly and recognizable for the users,” he explains. “The process developed quite naturally to determine the current shape; every detail is there for a reason, so the form, as well as production techniques, represent a compromise between technical and traditional.” Primary field studies in sub-Saharan Africa revealed the habit of carrying goods on the head--also a common practice in other areas around the world--and this was integrated into Eliodomestico’s plan.

Source

I think as we move forward, more and more of our technology will be open source for people to expand and build on. The gate keeper model of patents is dead.

Thoughts?

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
basically its just a distillery, but the heat from the sun is what is making the salt water evaporate vs heat from fire... i think.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Yep,

You can get power from the steam too if you add a turbine to a larger version.

there was a thread about it awhile ago, ill try to find it.

Ive wondered for years why we didnt do this

Brought up in this thread.

THe current state of free energy

Originally posted by benrl

Here Ill give out one of my ideas for something that is not Free energy but is currently used, I just had another Idea for it to kill two birds with one stone, I even created a small solar oven with a jug of water to test this several years ago.

Two of the largest problems in the world are food supply and fresh clean water...

So with that in mind I give you two things that already exist and are in use but are not being combined...

Giant solar arrays in the desert work by aiming mirrors at a tank to boil water the boiling of the water creates steam and spins a turbine....

Desalinization plants take salt water, and boil it to create fresh clean water by collecting the steam the heat required to do this requires a lot of energy and is expensive ...

My idea would require large infrastructure but would take sea water, use gravity to send the water inland by stationing the solar array below sea level. Have the tank that is heated in the solar array be fed by the ocean water.

In this process you would kill two birds with one stone, you would get fresh drinking water which could be use to water farm lands and give water to places in Africa and developing nations.

AND you also generate electricity, HELL you could retrofit oil tankers into Floating fresh water and energy plants...

Again the main cost would be in building the infrastructure and maintenance but the end result is fresh water and energy...

edit on 28-12-2011 by benrl because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-8-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
solar still, cool, people have been using variations on this idea for some time. if you could get one of these going reliably in the middle of the ocean maybe you could live out there.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Pretty cool.

Now imagine a much larger version of this that floats out at sea, that incorporates solar and wind power and the steam power to turn a generator AND create fresh water!

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by sixswornsermon
Pretty cool.

Now imagine a much larger version of this that floats out at sea, that incorporates solar and wind power and the steam power to turn a generator AND create fresh water!

Hmmmmmmm...

I could put one in my pool and have it refresh when the chlorine gets too concentrated.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Everywhen

Taking it further, imagine having these platforms anchored, with kelp panted on the underside to facilitate and artificial / natural environment for sea life as well.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
You can do the same thing with a sheet of plastic and a stone stretched over a hole in the ground.

Solar still

You can even do it with just a glass jar/plastic bottle and a mirror

edit on 17-8-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
You can do the same thing with a sheet of plastic and a stone stretched over a hole in the ground.

Solar still

You can even do it with just a glass jar/plastic bottle and a mirror

This takes me back to my cub scout days....

reply to post by tothetenthpower

Nice find tenth. Hopefully this can make a difference to those in third world countries. It would be interesting to know what other contaminants apart from salt this is effective in filtering out (e.g. bacteria and other things like harmful minerals). Also I wonder how much water a single unit is capable (on average) of filtering.

If these are mentioned in the videos I apologize. My laptop doesn’t do ‘sound’….

edit on 18/8/2012 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by 1littlewolf

Im pretty sure when you distill water like this it filters out all contaminates. Ive seen on videos people do it to urine and then drink it.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Not nearly a new concept. When I was a kid my grandmother had bought me a water purification kit that basically used tinfoil and the sun. I can't remember all the details, as that was over thirty ears ago. But I don't think this idea was new even two hundred years ago. It is good to remind people though that not everything can be done with an iPhone.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Real good news to third world.It will help.Now about the food problem...

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Here's another good idea, to help get power and clean water to Third World countries:

gizmodo.com...\
SOLAR SUNFLOWER PROVIDES BOTH ELECTRICITY AND CLEAN HOT WATER
"The 10-metre structure is designed to fit, when folded up, into a single shipping container. Once it unfurls, though, it becomes a sun-tracking device that can clean water, generate electricity and even heat or cool buildings.

"Such functionality is a result of the solar cells it employs. Its water-cooled solar panels, developed by Bruno Michel at IBM, concentrate the sun by 2,000 times. From their, 25 PV chips are cooled by water, which flows though micro-channels beneath them—leaving the cells at the optimal operating temperature to generate electricity.

"The warm water can be used to run a desalinator, driving seawater through a polymer membrane to produce up to 2,500 litres of fresh water ever day. Or, away from the sea, it can drive a water purifier to rid H20 of other unwelcome contaminants. All that, plus 12 kilowatts of electricity and 20 kilowatts of heat to boot."

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Ive had this idea about Africa for a LOOOONG time....

3 plants
1North, 1East, 1West..
Meeting in the middle of Sahara...
Along the way, irrigation and freshwater
outlets for the people...

Make the Desert of africa green again.....

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Miccey

Good idea, Miccey! So good, in fact, that someone's already working on it ...

oilprice.com...
(January 2014) SAHARA FOREST PROJECT TO RE-VEGETATE PARTS OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST DESERT

saharaforestproject.com...
WEBSITE FOR THE "SAHARA FOREST PROJECT"

***********************************************************************************

I've been following "hydrophobic" or waterproof sand for several years now.

nextbigfuture.com...
(Feb. 2009) WATERPROOF SAND COULD GREEN DESERTS

phys.org...
(2009) HYDROPHOBIC SAND COULD COMBAT DESERT WATER SHORTAGES

But the only applications I can find today, are using it for water-filtration - and school science projects.

phys.org...
(2011) USING COATED-SAND FOR BETTER WATER PURIFICATION

www.stevespanglerscience.com...
MAGIC SAND: HOW CAN SOMETHING IN WATER STAY DRY?

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Should have known...
Im to slow....

Edit:
After checking the links you provided i see
it´s not really what i had in mind...

3 big plants, desalination + energy.
3 Major Pipelines going to the middle of
Sahara. Along the way, minor piplines
branching out.
edit on 2014/10/2 by Miccey because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join