Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

"Pussy Riot" have been sentenced to 2 years labor camp

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
They should get prison time for calling themselves Punk.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Maybe a little off topic but I thought this only happened in "communist" countries?

But obviously this kind of heavy handed state control did not end with "communism".

Maybe because they were never communist to begin with, and the state can be just as brutal under a capitalist economy as a "communist" one (State ownership and control is nationalism not communism, USSR was never communist).

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
Maybe a little off topic but I thought this only happened in "communist" countries?

But obviously this kind of heavy handed state control did not end with "communism".

Maybe because they were never communist to begin with, and the state can be just as brutal under a capitalist economy as a "communist" one (State ownership and control is nationalism not communism, USSR was never communist).

I guess the "Communism isn't real and never has been real....don't believe your lying eyes' crowd is very strong here lately. Thats ....WAYYY off topic. err.. Yeah... (grabs telescope to set course back to topic)

@Thread

I'd done a bit of looking and found a couple things I thought I'd share and highlight the context here. First, I was shocked to find just HOW much further the Orthodox Church had wanted to see Putin take this. Umm... Freedom isn't something that exists in quite the same form we know it over there. Not anymore anyway., if the 90's really ever saw any at all. They wanted to see the Reporters and Bloggers prosecuted too!

The essence of the appeals is rather simple. The authors are satisfied with the criminal prosecution of "Pussy Riot" for mockery of holy things and insulting the religious feelings of Orthodox believers, but they are unhappy that those who cooperated with them during the course of the action itself have not been held criminally liable, as well as those who are supporting them now. Specifically, the authors maintain that there is an "intentional provocation aimed at inciting hatred toward Orthodoxy, bishops of the church, and all believers."

Elements of this "provocation" include actions of journalists who were working in the church at the time of the "Pussy Riot" protest in the church, videos spread on the Internet taken at the protest itself, texts of the songs, and "blasphemous photographs." Accordingly, the authors request an investigation of all these actions and holding them liable on article 282 of the Criminal Code, presumably for inciting hostility toward Orthodox believers.
Source

Freedom of Religion exists there ...but Freedom to say anything against it? Well..... Here is their actual law on the matter. (We'd ALL be prosecuted... many times over..lol)

Article 282. Incitement of National, Racial, or Religious Enmity

1. Actions aimed at the incitement of national, racial, or religious enmity, abasement of human dignity, and also propaganda of the exceptionality, superiority, or inferiority of individuals by reason of their attitude to religion, national, or racial affiliation, if these acts have been committed in public or with the use of mass media, shall be punishable by a fine in the amount of 500 to 800 minimum wages, or in the amount of the wage or salary, or any other income of the convicted person for a period of five to eight months, or by restraint of liberty for a term of up to three years, or by deprivation of liberty for a term of two to four years.
Source

Last but...Good God not least....Putin is really serious about peace and quiet in his Russian Federation. Public Order will be maintained, apparently.

Putin told a meeting of top judges in his native St. Petersburg that he decided to sign the bill despite objections from his own human rights adviser, Mikhail Fedotov, who asked the president to veto it.
Participants in protests where public order is violated could now face fines of 300,000 roubles ($9,100) - more than the average annual salary and up from 1,000 roubles. The organizers of such rallies could be fined up to 1 million roubles.
Source

To each their own I guess and the U.S. has as much place in Russia's business as they have in ours...but I'd say that is a very VERY bad place to be openly Anti-Gov or just protest in general if it's not a topic Vlad agrees entirely with.
edit on 17-8-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: shortened quote

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
This action only strengthens Putin same happened in Finland,Аustria and Ukraine where there is no Putin, it is an attack on the Christian religion throughout the world and we all know why
edit on 18-8-2012 by leosnake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I have to say from a Conspiracy point of view that Gary Kasparov was arrested at the protests. Kasparov was at this years Bilderberg conference, which makes me think he is part of a plan to unsettle Russia and Putin's standing.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
The action was savage and senseless and only undermined the trust of the Russians towards the opposition is similar to show clowns on Arlington cemetery even with the correct political slogans
edit on 18-8-2012 by leosnake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
2 years is way over the top for what they did and unnacceptable. Shame on Russia

On the other hand, there are various "hate speech" laws even in the west with ridiculous sentences of up to a few years. We are not that much better, altough thats not an excuse.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
They shouldn't have gotten any jail time. All they did was start performing in a church. But since the message was anti-Putin they got 2 years.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

LOL their music is awful I must say

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

You're actually a disgrace to America. Any American that supports the jailing of people for protesting, when they did not damage anyone, or any property...you are clearly authoritarian scum. Perhaps the Vatican is a more appropriate country for you, since you want to live in a theocracy.

edit on 18-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Its about making examples of people to prevent more people from daring to speak up against corruption.

Most humans dont do anything about it, and choose to ignore it. Because they dont want their lives ruined. They dont really care if they have no influence on the decisions their governments are taking as long as they get money, sex and entertainment.

But I dont see how the same people can say there is freedom and liberty. I think their definition is different to mine.
edit on 18-8-2012 by PrimitiveWorld because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123
I haven't really followed this in the news, but the Russian "punk bank" Pussy Riot has just been sentenced to 2 years prison/labor camp in Russia.

Protests arose after the sentence - many in support of P.R. protesting the sentence have been arrested as well, for example known chess champion Garri Kasparov.

As i understood, what P.R. were doing was PROTESTING against former KGB member Russian "president" Putin and the orthodox Russian church.

What the scandal here is is the fact that the sentence is unexpected hard, those women also have little kids.

NO ONE came to physical harm even if their protest might certainly have "offended" someone.

What do we care, this is "in Russia"? You SHOULD care because it doesn't matter whether this is Russia, the US or somewhere in Europe. We live in a world where politics AND church are rotten to the core all over the globe - and it's an scandal when the few who have the courage to open their mouth and protest get such a hard prison sentence. Again, no one came to harm because of those protests - it's simply a scandal and shows the true face of Putin and the current state of Russia.
edit on 17-8-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

its sad that as a people, the only thing we can do these days is make some noise instead of actually changing things, in one week pussy riot will be forgotten and nothing will have changed, the only thing we have as a people is are numbers and are free will, we will only change something if we use are strengths instead of waiting for three chicks to try and change things, but at least there doing something, as the rest of the world sits and waits to hope things get better, wake up people start participating by whatever means necessary to make this world a better place for are children.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I guess the "Communism isn't real and never has been real....don't believe your lying eyes' crowd is very strong here lately. Thats ....WAYYY off topic. err.. Yeah...

How could I resist an opportunity to make a good point?

It isn't that communism isn't real, it's that the USSR did not use the term 'communism' as a description of their economic system, but used it politically in order gain power. State ownership (nationalism) or private ownership (capitalism), the Russians are still no more free.

The fact that the band got prison time is evidence of that.

Evidence that it's just as possible to have a totalitarian state with a capitalist economy.
So maybe it's time for people to stop bashing communism as a totalitarian state and go learn what it actually is?

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
double p
edit on 18-8-2012 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Russia is becoming more scary. I thought things were good when Putin was selected for the first time. He used to be cool guy but something has happened. Now he is like dictator, he really changed. I feel like they are building new USSR. They have strengthened their army, they have cut civil rights, they call opposition foreign agents. I bet soon Putin will promote himself as God.

But is Putin alien? He is definitely different guy than that Putin some years ago.

Things could get scary during the winter. Russia is providing gas lines for most of Europe, and they can cut them if they want.
edit on 18-8-2012 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Dumb pussy's, they are so lucky no Ukraine come out over there and wrapped a baseball bat around her skull, now that's what i would call breaking news..not some dumb marketing stunt who's aim is to make $$$ .... stupid predictable consumers.

But as pretty as she is and being jailed, i assume the fax has already reached the prison that a nice clean tight singer is coming to visit and she cut down the cross that was put there for the millions that perished.

Internal Memo: Guess who's coming to dinner...yep its pussy's
edit on 18-8-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
absolute majority of the Russian population
condemn these fools for what they have done in the holy place for the Russian.
You can call us, the Russian bad for it.
Putin will be constantly and easily win all election after such actions

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I tried to read the Wikipedia article about Pussy Riot, but I had to stop as soon as I saw what they were described as in the first line: "Russian feminist punk-rock musical collective"

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by leosnake
absolute majority of the Russian population

This is true from what i read, but then i also *think* that the Russians are still very conditioned to "agree" with the government, they have been conditioned to do so for decades.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
This is a hilarious thread. Everyone ratting on Russia of course. Guess what, if someone did this in the US, for example at a CATHOLIC Church, I'm sure there would be just DISBELIEF all over the USA. The perpetrators would be ostracized for life. Maybe they'd be sent to jail. Religious people would be pissed off, that's all I know. But I think it's funny how the US is 'for' the pussy riot, when my country(the US) is starting to lose it's rights. Great way to brainwash and have a grip on the people, US government, while you slowly take the rights away in the background... Jesus CHRIST.

What happened to morals? Why are people defending these disgusting women? Why? Has the world become THAT liberal? If we can accept these girls, who by the way have stuff frozen chicken in their vagina, have sex in a museum with the chicken or something like that, and done so many more disgusting wrong things, then I guess the world is soon going to accept EVERYTHING, ect. Maybe even pedophiles. Look at it this way;
Gays were viewed as a plague: jump forward to 2012 and gays are breaking the world in storm.
Pedophiles are viewed as a plague : jump forward when everything's turned far liberal and .... ?
Just interesting to think about.
There needs to be a BOUNDARY. It's no wonder my country's young generation (which I am part of) is going down the sewers. They don't know boundaries.

By the way, the church has freedom to worship PEACEFULLY. Not be bombarded by some stupid ridiculous young people. So who disrespected who? The pussy riot of course, disrespected the peaceful worshippers. Unbelievable yet people think it's 'ok'.
edit on 18-8-2012 by purplefinch because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join