It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Liberal States BENEFIT THE MOST from the Bush tax cuts?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I read an article today about how much the it would cost the average taxpayer if the Bush tax cuts end and I noticed that the states that would be affected the most are the ones that tend to be the most liberal.

If Bush Tax Cuts End, It Will Cost. A Lot

Americans would shell out as much as $5,700 more a year if the Bush tax cuts are allowed to expire at the end of 2012, according to a new analysis that highlights the perils and political consequences of the nation's fiscal cliff.

Connecticut residents would get rocked the worst, with an additional cost of $5,783 a year while New Yorkers would get hit $5,542 on average, the study from the nonpartisan Tax Foundation states.

Mississippi residents get the least impact, at $1,310 on average, but 29 of the 50 states will see taxpayers get hit at least $2,000.

Yahoo Finance

The article links to a map of the states most affected by the expiration of the tax cuts.

Notice that traditionally liberal voting states like New York, New Jersey, California and many New England states would lose, on average, $4-5 thousand in relief from the tax cuts while traditionally conservative states in the South and Mid-West only average a little over $1 thousand from the cuts.

It makes you wonder why liberals oppose the Bush tax cuts so much when it is their constituents who benefit the most from them? Or, is that the point; they oppose the cuts because it was a conservative program that benefited their voters so much?

edit on 8/17/12 by FortAnthem because:
___________ extra DIV

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Thats not a surprise, as

List of US states by income

So all the "richest" income states benefit, many BLUE states.

So was bush the President of his party...

Or was he the President of the 1%...

That is the true answer to this problem.

The red and blue thing is just Divisive hyperbole and rhetoric to keep us serfs in line.
edit on 17-8-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

The income thing is a part of it but, check out where Alaska and Hawaii are on that scale:

4 Alaska Red $66,953 $68,460 $64,333 $57,639
5 Hawaii Blue $64,098 $67,214 $63,746 $60,681

Wiki

They were in 4th and 5th place in income but come in very low on the map of states affected by the tax cuts. There's something more to it than just the level of income in this.

You have to remember the Bush cuts ended the marriage penalty and created the child tax credits which greatly help out married couples and parents.

They make a huge difference in my taxes; before Bush, I used to pay a few hundred every year in taxes. After the Bush cuts, I started getting thousands back from my tax return every year. Tax time went from being a dreaded time of year to the time I look forward to the most.

The Bush cuts make a huge difference for the working poor and people with families, not just the rich. If they were completely repealed, everybody would be hurting, the middle class and working poor much more than the rich the cuts are purported to help.

edit on 8/17/12 by FortAnthem because:
___________ extra DIV

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
The states that benefit the most must be aflush with the minority of the very rich whom benefit from those tax breaks, so it is perfectly reasonable that in states where the population can see the minority who enjoys the lush tax breaks drive by in Bentleys while public education and the like goes down the toilet the outrage is the loudest, as opposed to states where people do not come in contact with that class of people as much which is the case with many red states, that bently owners only see from above when they fly from coast to coast to alternate between their trophy wife and girlfriend.
edit on 18-8-2012 by Cassius666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Cassius666

Bush threw piles of fed gov money into education, we spend the second highest per capita in the world on education. Failure of the ed system is because of failed family structures and unions hostile to change.

new topics

top topics

join