It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

anyone have bees acting weird where they are

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I love bees and always pay attention to them.

Today I walked out onto my deck holding my young child and a carpenter bee who was turning circles in a disoriented fashion on the side of our house flew straight at us and hovered about 2 inches from my child's face. I am never usually skittish about bees and I teach my kids "leave them alone and they will leave you alone" but of course this horrified me.

They usually only act so crazy during mating season in early spring.

That said:

Parasitic Fly Turns Bees Into Zombies
edit on 8/17/2012 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by connorromanow

Yes! Yes! Yes!
I observed exactly what you described yesterday morning while walking my dog at about 9:40am.. There were more than 8 however...that's why it stood out to me. They were some type of darker colored bumble bee.

I wasn't about to mess with them too much...since they were acting strange and all.

Another thing I noticed yesterday afternoon was that the blackbirds that perch on top of the neighboring bread store were acting strange as well. They didn't react to the baker throwing out the few stale buns from the end of the day, they instead craned their necks upwards towards the sky as if looking at something I couldn't see.

These events were duly noted by my keen curious eye.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by AFewGoodWomen

The ones I've been seeing doing that were all bumble bees

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by GoldenRuled

I've been seeing all kinds of bees but defiantly a disapearance is odd to. Though apparently in the 90s a mite wiped out most of the American hives so the numbers arnt quite so hood

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I have plenty of bees in my yard....but I do try to attract them with plenty of flowers and a lack of pesticides....and only organic fertilizers.

Maybe a few less hornets, but my sedum isn't blooming yet.
Quite a few mud wasps, too.

The only time they act "weird" in my experience is when their wings are wet...and they either walk or dry their wings on a flower.....

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Also in NC, and have not had many bees this year at all in the garden. It was so problematic last year that I had to switch to self pollinating vegetable varieties this year. I recall bees 2 years ago when the holly was in bloom. Plan to sew clover in the yard next spring after the yard burn to attract them back. I hope to find a feral hive on the property someday, and simply, "Let it Bee..."

Still have ample paper Wasps though. Been allowing them to maintain pretty hefty nests as long as they do not obstruct the doors or windows. They do quite a number on the caterpillars in the garden. Believe each successive year is all of the same lineage. We are at the point with the wasps, that they hover just in front of us when in the garden, and then go about their business. No one (familial) has been stung in 3 years. Could be attributable to this.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join