It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US synagogue welcomes Muslims seeking a place to pray

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
This brought a smile to my face today.

Muslims around the world are gathering for Friday prayers, and in one neighbourhood in the US state of Virginia, the worshippers will enter a building that could hardly be further from a traditional mosque. At a time when religious differences are sparking conflict in the Middle East and beyond - it is cooperation between two faiths which is allowing this unique programme flourish.

www.bbc.co.uk...

The members of each community speak a lot of sense especially the Muslim gentleman "It makes my heart very happy when we join for the common good and ignore all the politics that are trying to divide us".

Haaretz has more on this.

www.haaretz.com...

It would seem like this has been going on for at least three years at this synagogue. From October 2009.

An unlikely relationship between different faiths is setting an example in northern Virginia. The region's fast-growing Muslim population is running out of room to pray, so one Reston synagogue opens its doors to them. "It's unusual, but it reflects well on both of our faiths," said Rabbi Robert Nosanchuk, of Northern Virginia Hebrew Congregation. "Both Islam and Judaism adhere to the teachings of Abraham, who was known in the Bible and in the Koran for hospitality."

www.nbcwashington.com...

The conditions of law based religious freedom and tolerance in the US makes this not an overwhelming surprise, but it is still great to see. Anyone know of any other examples of co-operation in the US or anywhere else in the world between faiths?

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
And ...

Rabbi: ‘Jews can pray in mosques’

Last year, Israeli Rabbi Baruch Efrati told a questioner that Jews are permitted to pray in mosque but not in a church as the later houses idols.

“It would be better to pray in a mosque and do so with meaning and after the sun rises, rather than at home, at dawn or at the airport and without meaning. Of course this solution is not perfect, but it’s the best option. There is no prohibition in praying in mosques,” – Israeli daily YNet, February 13, 2011.

This is stories like this ATS needs.
We are basically all brothers and sisters, even though some people make some mighty efforts at dividing us.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
My faith in humanity has just risen a notch!!

If these two faiths can come together peacefully , just for prayer then we are capable of more great things!!

Anyplace else in this world there would be fighting and death,I'm glad it is in the USA that this has happened!!

Be safe people

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by viperdave

If these two faiths can come together peacefully , just for prayer then we are capable of more great things!!

Agreed. With this must come toleration between those with faith in a god and those with none. That has perhaps even further to go than that of between the organised religions.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by viperdave

Depends on what they're praying for, no?

My temple, growing up, was a chemple or a chumple. It was a temple and a church. Time share, of sorts. I spent many saturday mornings, in services, debating what was behind the red velvet curtain that adorned the back wall. We were sure it was a huge crucified Jesus. After a year or so of debate and dares, I was the only one brave (read as stupid) enough to sneak into the sanctuary during hebrew school classes, and peek behind the proverbial curtain.

I got caught. I got in lots of trouble. I was disappointed.

Blank wall.

When folks can find it in themselves to not only accept that there are people with differing beliefs but also accept and embrace this reality, we show signs of hope.

Sadly, these kinds of instances are few and far between
edit on 17-8-2012 by Crakeur because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Depends on what they're praying for, no?

Maybe.
Like here for instance they're praying together for rain.

Jews Muslims and Christians Pray together For Rain In Holy Land

The video shows Jews and Muslims praying together in their joint belief in the prophet Daniel, and also offers a rare view of Jews praying in an Iranian synagogue.
Rare Video of Israeli Rabbi in Iran

Another example

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by samsamm9

Fantastic video from the Rabbi, great to see some natural every day video of Iran and its people.

Iranian Jews told Rabbi Gabbai that they have spoken with Iranian authorities and told them they pray that HaShem blesses the country’s leaders. “We live with the protection of Muslims and under the Islamic flag. For 3,000 years, we have lived in peace and security,” one Jew said in the video with Rabbi Gabbai.

www.israelnationalnews.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   

This is stories like this ATS needs. We are basically all brothers and sisters, even though some people make some mighty efforts at dividing us.

Instead we get threads like this, www.abovetopsecret.com... which compare which is the "better" type of tyranny for the people of the region to live under.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
It is literally hate "the Muslims day" on ATS.

So many threads equating the acts of extremists as representing a whole people.

What about stories like this, a British archaeologist walks around freely in an Islamic society, investigating an old Mosque without being attacked or harangued.

In a remote village in northern Bangladesh, an amateur archaeologist has discovered the remains of a mosque believed to be built in the 7th century. Villagers initially stumbled on the site where they found ancient treasures and artifacts of Islamic history, including a stone with Quranic scripture, buried underground. Further investigation into the findings could prove the site to be the earliest mosque built in South Asia.

www.aljazeera.com...

I'm not saying stories of extremist and violent acts should not be discussed, but how about some balance!

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

It is literally hate "the Muslims day" on ATS.

This is a story that should get all the attention, but no, it doesn't.
Many people on ATS just prefer to hate and have no interest at understanding or even believing anything
that a Muslim says.
Every Muslim I know just wish to be at Peace with non-Muslim, but then again they'll say
"It's all Lies !".

edit on 19-8-2012 by samsamm9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I had to respond just to bump this thread.

This story is truly heartwarming and I wish things like this were more the norm.

Thank you for posting this, OP, I've enjoyed reading about it.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

When the Brotherhood in Egypt adopts the principle of tolerance I will be impressed. The West is a tolerant place as it is largely unheard of to have state sponsored violence against a minority religion or even moderate vigilantism.

Too many times it is demanded as a one way street, and not demanded of the Saudi Arabia's of the world.

And ask the Bahai's of Iran what they think about the "religious tolerance" there.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

I have never really heard of someone being hit with state sponsored oppression for being a nonbeliever in a western country.

Tolerance is simply not committing violence on each other, what is usually thought of as tolerance is really relativism.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
A world with more people like this, would be fantastic. Great topic.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

I'm not sure I agree with the Rabbi declaring Jews can pray in a mosque and not a church. Some churches only have a large gold cross and nothing else (no statues, nothing) - Synagogues have Magen Davids (star of David) so whats the difference? I'm Jewish and I find the Star of David, the Cross AND the half cresent moon both idol worshipping.

In my view the Star of David should never had been part of the Israeli flag but much rather the colours of Moses or perhaps a manorah.
edit on 19-8-2012 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

I'm not sure I agree with the Rabbi declaring Jews can pray in a mosque and not a church.

I completely agree with you. I know Muslims that sometimes pray in churches, why not Jews ? And it is my understanding that a church, a temple, or a mosque are all "houses of god".

edit on 19-8-2012 by samsamm9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by TheCoolKids

The thing is you are talking about the "umma" or establishment of Islam who some of which look to exploit the differences between groups.

Your average person in Egypt, Iran is tolerant of most people. Just look at the way Egyptian Muslims formed humand shields around the Coptic churches after they were bombed back in early 2011.

From the well-known to the unknown, Muslims had offered their bodies as “human shields” for last night’s mass, making a pledge to collectively fight the threat of Islamic militants and towards an Egypt free from sectarian strife. “We either live together, or we die together,” was the sloganeering genius of Mohamed El-Sawy, a Muslim arts tycoon whose cultural centre distributed flyers at churches in Cairo Thursday night, and who has been credited with first floating the “human shield” idea.

english.ahram.org.eg...

Wherever and by whoever extremism presents itself it should be confronted, as in activities/rhetoric which is out to harm other Muslims or other peoples. However we have to get away from appropriating the extremist rhetoric and behavior from a few to all Muslims, its just stupid.
edit on 19-8-2012 by Peruvianmonk because: Format

top topics

join