It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Former Marine Brandon Raub Just been "Taken" by Feds for Facebook Posts?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by pianopraze

Originally posted by LightningStrikesHere
this might sound a bit strange , but is it me or does he kind of look like to Colorado
shooter ?

This is called dissociation, it is a result of military training, life, and deployment.

It used to be called the "Thousand yard stare"... it is basically PTSD. Almost every vet has in now adays.

I threw away all photos of me in the army because I couldn't stand to see it in my self.
edit on 19-8-2012 by pianopraze because: typo

What are you talking about? That thousand yard stare is learned in bootcamp and gives you something to look at while standing at attention or parade rest because you better not be looking around, that kinda ruins the whole idea uniformity if everyone is looking around. Other than that, I don't think anyone suffers any mental damage from doing this. And not every vet suffers from PTSD. More like, a large percentage of combat veterans suffer from it. I do not suffer from PTSD.

On the topic at hand, Former Marine Brandon Raub, this new thread has updates, such as,

www.nbc12.com...

CHESTERFIELD, VA— The Rutherford Institute has come to the defense of a former Marine, 26-year-old Brandon Raub, who was arrested, detained indefinitely in a psych ward and forced to undergo psychological evaluations based solely on the controversial nature of lines from song lyrics, political messages and virtual card games which he posted to his private Facebook page. Although the FBI and Chesterfield County police have not charged Brandon Raub, a resident of Chesterfield County, Va., with committing any crime, they arrested Raub on Thursday, August 16, 2012, and transported him to John Randolph Medical Center, where he was held against his will due to alleged concerns that his Facebook (FB) posts were controversial and "terrorist in nature." In a hearing held at the hospital, government officials disregarded Raub's explanation that the Facebook posts were being interpreted out of context, sentencing him up to 30 days' further confinement in a VA psych ward. In coming to Raub's defense, Rutherford Institute attorneys are challenging Raub's arrest and forcible detention, as well as the government's overt Facebook surveillance and violation of Raub's First Amendment rights.

edit on 20-8-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
This is why the police are not your friends and culpable in the Nazification of America. The feds had to have the local police with them because they do not technically have any jurisdiction in the states. Their is no constitutional authority for the congress to create laws governing criminal actions in the states!

The local police are the enablers of this tyranny! The police could have said no and case closed. But they are just as brain washed as the American people if not more so that this this garbage is ok. And they are enforcing tyranny on their fellow Americans!

But hey lets argue over whose better for the country Obama or Romney...Sigh!

The America many of us grew up on is gone!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Please...take note of this thread here...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Look at the list...

Brandon Raub is number 116 on this list!

I believe this list to be legit!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   

CHESTERFIELD, VA - The Rutherford Institute has come to the defense of a former Marine, 26-year-old Brandon Raub, who was arrested, detained indefinitely in a psych ward and forced to undergo psychological evaluations based solely on the controversial nature of lines from song lyrics, political messages and virtual card games which he posted to his private Facebook page. Although the FBI and Chesterfield County police have not charged Brandon Raub, a resident of Chesterfield County, Va., with committing any crime, they arrested Raub on Thursday, August 16, 2012, and transported him to John Randolph Medical Center, where he was held against his will due to alleged concerns that his Facebook (FB) posts were controversial and "terrorist in nature." In a hearing held at the hospital, government officials disregarded Raub's explanation that the Facebook posts were being interpreted out of context, sentencing him up to 30 days' further confinement in a VA psych ward. In coming to Raub's defense, Rutherford Institute attorneys are challenging Raub's arrest and forcible detention, as well as the government's overt Facebook surveillance and violation of Raub's First Amendment rights.

More
www.nbc12.com...

Phone Interview With Brandon Raub
youtu.be...

Interview With Marine Who Served With Brandon Raub
youtu.be...

Interview With Brandon Raub's Family Members
youtu.be...

The Right To Defend Freedom By July4Patriot
youtu.be...

Oath Keepers Rally To Honor Jose Guerena
youtu.be...

The End Of America By Naomi Wolf
youtu.be...

Wake Up Call (Remastered Edition / Full Movie)
youtu.be...

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Heres a strange twist for ya. Brandon Raub being held at John Randolph Medical Center, HCA Virginia. And who owns this hospital? Would you have guessed Bain Capital? They bought it in 2006.

Heres a interesting thread I started that talks about Bain Capital and health care.

This guy got bained and didn't even know what happened.

Bain pays for the TV shows that support there business. People like Dr. Phil who promote boot camp mental health on his TV show. The boott camp mental health is owned by Bain. Dr. Phil is just the advertiser on TV for Bain. How about the TV shows like Intervention where people get confused about turning there loved ones in just means someone comes over and sits on a couch and talks to them. Like in the TV shows Intervention or Dr. Phil. But what your really doing is signing them up to be forced into mental hospital by the police.

Like I said forced into a mental health hospital.

The more you dig on this story the more I find people are misdirected at Obama when it is the otherside who is behind it all.

When you add the Commission started by Bush in 2002 on mental health policies. To the rewriting of the laws in Virginia after the 2007 Virginia Tech shooting using the recommendations of the Commission to make it easier to lock people up in mental hospitals. It all backs up to the Republicans. Yea the freedom guys?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
What was interesting to me, was the statement by the local police that made the "arrest"...

The officers on scene who made a determination about his mental state, at the behest of the feds, had to call a mental facility for guidance. And they said to place him into custody and bring him in for an evaluation.

Now, to me, it sounds like each roll is reversed in some sick, twisted ploy to detain someone for no reason.

The cops tell the doctors that the guy seems crazy, and the doctors tell the cops to arrest him. Seems like the perfect way to avoid responsibility, by each side being able to say, "well they said"!

Can anyone tell me if this is SOP for Virginia law regarding Baker act?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Whilst I am all for human rights and freedom of speech (within ethical boundaries). I think there must be more than is being reported about this. I also think this guy knew that he was due these guys at his door.

I think the fact Raub had a potentially terrorist website (starting a 'revolution') then talked about being armed, violence and some sort of 'revolution' on the world, is a cause for concern.

If he had done something crazy and these comments weren't acted upon the authorities would have to answer to it.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by theabsolutetruth
If he had done something crazy and these comments weren't acted upon the authorities would have to answer to it.

That's the whole point! Doesn't one have to show INTENT, before the "protectors of society" come swooping in to save the day?

I have read his posts on FB and the are ALL just excerpts from music videos and such. They are someone else's words, that when added up on the timeline, seem to evince, a possible negative scenario, but Where Is The Intent?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by GoOfYFoOt

I think the reported story probably is just part of the story. This guy even said guys were about to collect him, he probably did or said other things rather than just these facebook comments.

About these facebook comments, who knows how innocent they were, just because some of them are parts of songs doesn't remove any contextual point in saying them.

Additionally, this guy is military, there will be military history which was probably consulted, there could be PTSD or other things taken into consideration that aren't being released.

For all we know this guy was maybe stockpiling weapons, contacting (possibly imaginary) people in a network for the purpose of starting a 'revolution' in the forms of violent sieges etc. and the facebook comments were more just 'proof' of actual intent.

The things this guy said shouldn't be said on facebook, especially as he is shown holding a gun, talking about actual places, has military training, agreed to certain conduct when he signed for military service, and had a website about starting a revoluton against certain groups, in addition to general hatred for certain groups.

This guy probably said or did things contrary to legal conditions, as agreed, as a military trained person.

It was this guys own fault.

Free speech is only free when it isn't compromising relevant legalities, or impinging on the safety of others. The people on this guys facebook could have taken these violent intention comments as a direct threat so could many others, like the people of Sedalia CO where armed people were supposedly starting some sort of 'revolution'.
edit on 21-8-2012 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Kidnapped Marine vet Brandon Raub speaks out from psych ward

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

I think the reported story probably is just part of the story. This guy even said guys were about to collect him, he probably did or said other things rather than just these facebook comments.

You may be right. There may be more to it, but wouldn't someone have found something else by now? Also, the feds admitted to just wanting to talk to him, initially.

About these facebook comments, who knows how innocent they were, just because some of them are parts of songs doesn't remove any contextual point in saying them.

You obviously don't listen to rap music. Some lyrics by mainstream artists are much more explicit, graphic and threatening than what Raub posted.

Additionally, this guy is military, there will be military history which was probably consulted, there could be PTSD or other things taken into consideration that aren't being released.
For all we know this guy was maybe stockpiling weapons, contacting (possibly imaginary) people in a network for the purpose of starting a 'revolution' in the forms of violent sieges etc. and the facebook comments were more just 'proof' of actual intent.

Are you saying that because he is ex-military that he is more prone to commit murder? Or less psychologically capable of knowing right from wrong? Are veterans trained to be better killers than civilians? No! They are just supposed to be more prepared for the emotional after-effects.

And for all we know, his relatives were truthful when they said that he no longer owns any weapons.
"For all we know", "maybe", "possibly", an "imaginary" "network" of hobgoblins are going to eat us all in our sleep tonight. Did you just use the word "proof" in that sentence? Stretch much?

The things this guy said shouldn't be said on facebook, especially as he is shown holding a gun, talking about actual places, has military training, agreed to certain conduct when he signed for military service, and had a website about starting a revoluton against certain groups, in addition to general hatred for certain groups.

This guy probably said or did things contrary to legal conditions, as agreed, as a military trained person.

Parhaps he shouldn't have said them, but that would be a moral issue, or maybe an ethical one. It still doesn't show intent. Nor, can it prove mental incapacity.
You may be right, as for any conditions he agreed to, upon leaving active duty. But, you must see that being in the service, must have also shown him a side of things that civilians don't see. How can an army be effective without, at least, contempt for the "enemy". It's almost as if the military taught him how to hate.

It was this guys own fault.

I think my last paragraph disputes this, nicely.

Free speech is only free when it isn't compromising relevant legalities, or impinging on the safety of others. The people on this guys facebook could have taken these violent intention comments as a direct threat so could many others, like the people of Sedalia CO where armed people were supposedly starting some sort of 'revolution'.

What relevant legalities have been compromised? The "arresting" agency has said there were no charges filed. It wasn't a legal matter, and that they had no further comment.
"Impinging on the safety of others"? With words? He may have impinged on the thought of safety, as vicious words create vicious thoughts in the minds of the recipient, but how was anyone's safety in jeopardy?

I take the words of the "New Black Panther Party" as a direct threat, but I'm not beating down their doors, and taking them to the psych ward. Nor am I calling for it. They are just shallow words from shallow-minded individuals. They don't represent any particular axiom or ideology for any given race or creed.
It's just words!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Go back and actually read the things I said and read them in context.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
washington.cbslocal.com...

Dee Rybiski, an FBI spokeswoman in Richmond, said there was no Facebook snooping by her agency. “We received quite a few complaints about what were perceived as threatening posts,” she said. “Given the circumstances with the things that have gone on in the country with some of these mass shootings, it would be horrible for law enforcement not to pay attention to complaints.”

Col. Thierry Dupuis, the county police chief, said Raub was taken into custody upon the recommendation of mental health crisis intervention workers. He said the action was taken in accordance with the state’s emergency custody statute, which allows a magistrate to order the civil detention and psychiatric evaluation of a person deemed to be potentially dangerous. He said Raub was handcuffed because he resisted officers’ attempts to take him into custody.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Go back and actually read the things I said and read them in context.

To be quite honest, I was really searching for the context you were speaking to...
I didn't mean to bash you, I was simply trying to understand your point of view.

I suppose if the context is of that of someone who is afraid to leave their home for fear of becoming a statistic, then your post makes sense.
If it from the view of someone who fears anyone who is fed up over something and chooses a poor medium to vent their frustrations, then I get your drift.
Could you enlighten me, as to what context you are referring?

I thought that I read your comments quite thoroughly, as I had to cut and paste them, and then respond, numerous times...

Again, I'm not trying to be harsh. I just don't understand the mentality of, he got what he deserved...Which is how I took your post.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I keep hearing people say he is a little over the top but I looked at his facebook page and didn't see anything over the top. Worst thing on there was about the revolution starting soon but with the pictures of Ron Paul books etc. it all seems pretty benign to me. I did not see anything suggesting violence, I and many others have said much more. So makes one wonder why they got a hard on for this guy...

I think they are scared of veterans waking up to their BS!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

The context that I posted possibilities.

The context under which Raub is being detained under legislation.

The context that I posted information as to this rather than the PERSONAL and SUBJECTIVE stance that you are taking about the morality of it.

The context where I didn't say my personal opinion of the morality of US law and US military law.

If you don't know anything of the things I posted then go search online. Also see the post I just posted about the nature of Raubs detention.

Frankly this guy was asking for being detained and it is just a waste of time and attention seeking. A military trained guy of sound mind would know better than taunting the rules to which he agreed when enlisting and causing a concern for potential breach of the peace.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Also, go read ATS T&C and stop making personal attacks.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

I'm so sorry.
It was not my intention to upset you.
I thought this was a site to debate conspiracies. Which by their sheer nature, are just opinions. Am I not entitled to mine, the same as you are to yours? I was simply trying to identify the mindset, behind your way of thinking. I was of the impression that this site was a means for two sides of a subject to have the chance to debate opinions and enhance one's knowledge of a given discussion.
I wasn't attacking you, personally or other!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

ALERT! ALERT! ALERT!

somebody is claiming too call BS on you and this thread and similar ones posted

but did not have the manners to post here[?]

Now, during this, the guy CAN claim he's not crazy, not a threat etc. Most people dealing with cops claim innocence, but.. you know, that's pretty meaningless.

The important points:

- He was NOT kidnapped
- He was NOT locked up for posting something controversial on FB
- He could ONLY be locked up if the cops (and probably a judge) think he's an imminent threat.

So, please, keep exercising your free speech, calm down, and don't spread false rumours.

Former Marine Brandon Raub NOT put in psych ward for posting on FB - Calm down everyone.

what say you OP?

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Im amazed how many have blind faith in the government. "he mustve done something".

He had an opinion. Thats what he did.

He believes 911 was not what its claimed to be and was done by the government

He listens to rebellious rap.

He believes the federal reserve is a farce and reads Thomas Paine.

He says that world leaders sacrifice children and has a photo which a commenter called Bohemian Grove. (Not sure what this all is other than the leaders retreat - never heard about any sacrifices)

Because hes in the military I can see they would come after him. Putting him in a mental ward? I guess if you believe 911 was an inside job you MUST be crazy...

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join