It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virus emergency declared in Texas

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Source

Americas

Mayor of Dallas city announces emergency after mosquito-borne West Nile virus claims 17 lives.

The mayor of Dallas has declared a state of emergency in the ninth largest US city as it struggles to contain an outbreak of mosquito-borne West Nile virus that has claimed the lives of 17 people so far this year.

"The city of Dallas is experiencing a widespread outbreak of mosquito-borne West Nile Virus that has caused and appears likely to continue to cause widespread and severe illness and loss of life," Michael Rawlings said on Wednesday.

The emergency declaration by Rawlings followed a similar action last week by Dallas County officials and paves the way for aerial pesticide spraying to begin this week.

Nearly half of the 693 human cases of the mosquito-borne West Nile virus infections reported this year to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have been in Texas.

edit on 8/17/2012 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit--Please use Exact Title for BAN submissions

edit on 8/17/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/17/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
west nile virus been carried across america by mosquito i find it very strange that the mosquito's have managed to get all the way across america in such a short time ,or did they has the american goverment started its population control already ,or is it an excuse to spray what ever chemicals all over america to make you all more docile and more willing subjects , what do you think america is your time upon you ,

www.aljazeera.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 17-8-2012 by seethetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by seethetruth

west nile virus been carried across america by mosquito i find it very strange that the mosquito's have managed to get all the way across america in such a short time ,or did they has the american goverment started its population control already ,or is it an excuse to spray what ever chemicals all over america to make you all more docile and more willing subjects , what do you think america is your time upon ,

www.aljazeera.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Yup. It is for sure a goverment conspiracy.

Or aliens. Yup. Nothing stupid about that.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Or maybe, the mosquitoes have been brought by cargoships from africa. Probably layed in still water on the ships, and then hatched on arrival. Maybe...

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by seethetruth

You do know that WNV has been here almost a decade, right?

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoeSignal
Or maybe, the mosquitoes have been brought by cargoships from africa. Probably layed in still water on the ships, and then hatched on arrival. Maybe...

still how have they got across america like they have tho there would have been an out break in one area first then it spreading

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

West Nile first appeared in the US in 1999.

Since then there have been outbreaks every year.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

still how have they got across america like they have tho there would have been an out break in one area first then it spreading

Its called globalization, products come from everywhere now days, and has to be transported every where as well.

From cargo ship, to planes trains and truck.

There are numerous vectors for things to spread now days.

link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

it mite have but how has it spead to the whole of america just like that ,

link   

There are several threads on ATS about this, but you know I did want to say imo this is simply going to be a money making deal as they use funds to fly over and spray poison on all the animals and people, not to mention what it will do to their soil which is already in horrible shape after the last few years dry spells.

It is a bad situation any way you look at it.

link   
West Nile virus first appeared in the united states way back in 1999 .. it had spread across the entire country over time.. this isn't new .. it's been a growing issue for almost 14 years now... to put that into perspective.. there are people who've been born and will soon be old enough to drive since the virus made it to the USA ..

Some states have it worse than others, but that changes with the seasons and weather conditions.. mosquitos thrive in hot humid places.. I don't think you'll find a single state in the country that hasn't had to deal with the virus at some point over the years.. I know here in Ohio it's been an issue for a long time.
edit on 8/17/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by BritofTexas

thats good to know , is it really bad this year or something thats why it is in the news

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

it mite have but how has it spead to the whole of america just like that ,

It didn't spread over the whole of america "just like that" .. it's been a country wide issue for a few years now.. and it's been spreading for 14 years... that's not exactly fast.. a few years after it first was detected, it was already in most states.. the number of infections rises and falls based on the weather since the weather directly influences the population of mosquitos

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

thats good to know , is it really bad this year or something thats why it is in the news

It's particularly bad in Dallas this year so that's why it's in the news... mosquitos love hot humid weather.. Texas happens to be a very hospitable place for them to breed this year so the number of infections has really climbed..

I spraying Dallas is still a stupid idea though... it would only help the issue temporarily.. it wouldn't be long before the mosquitos came in from areas surrounding dallas.. and they breed like bunny rabbits..

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

More like a decade and a half.. 14 years now ...

Reminds me of the outbreak of those chinese beetles that look like ladybugs! those things were annoying!!! I haven't seen one of those in a few years

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Well, Texas had an extremely mild winter, with a fair amount of rain this spring - which means the mosquito population is even larger than usual this summer. With a larger mosquito population, more cases of West Nile Virus are unavoidable. I, for one, am really hoping for a record harsh winter this year, to kill some of these dern mosquitos!

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
West Nile virus first appeared in the united states way back in 1999 .. it had spread across the entire country over time.. this isn't new .. it's been a growing issue for almost 14 years now... to put that into perspective.. there are people who've been born and will soon be old enough to drive since the virus made it to the USA ..

Some states have it worse than others, but that changes with the seasons and weather conditions.. mosquitos thrive in hot humid places.. I don't think you'll find a single state in the country that hasn't had to deal with the virus at some point over the years.. I know here in Ohio it's been an issue for a long time.
edit on 8/17/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

that's ok panic over got worried for you all my american cousins ,i dont mean its ok about the west nile but its not what i first thought , good luck with it hope you dont get it

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

that's ok panic over got worried for you all my american cousins ,i dont mean its ok about the west nile but its not what i first thought , good luck with it hope you dont get it

Appreciated =) .. I think I'm ok.. it's more dangerous for the young and the elderly, most people who are in sound physical condition will experience nothing more than flu like symptoms..

It's people like my mother I worry about, she loves to tend her garden and she's in her mid 70s ..

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Appreciated =) .. I think I'm ok.. it's more dangerous for the young and the elderly, most people who are in sound physical condition will experience nothing more than flu like symptoms..

It's people like my mother I worry about, she loves to tend her garden and she's in her mid 70s ..

I'm lucky in that mosquitos absolutely HATE me. I haven't gotten a mosquito bite in many years - and I go outside all the time. I guess it has something to do with my body chemistry, or something. My husband and 11-year-old daughter, on the other hand, are unfortunately magnets to mosquitos. It drives my husband crazy that he and I will be sitting outside right next to each other, and in 5 minutes time he will have 10 or more bites, and I have zip.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

you know what your doing then lol, looks like you will have to do it for her ,i hope she is ok and does not get it mum's are the most valuable thing on the planet worth more than gold and you only get one of them

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join