It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists Discover Ancient Zapotec Tomb

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2ba53ef21314.jpg[/atsimg]
Archaeologists Discover Ancient Zapotec Tomb

The tombs are located one on top of the other and, unlike previous discoveries, are not underground. One of the burial chambers is decorated with a mural of a ball game, a theme not found before in Zapotec funerary practices.

The funerary complex, which has three burial chambers, was found about three months ago at the Atzompa archaeological zone, the INAH said. Archaeologists managed to get into the third pre-Columbian burial chamber, which contained human remains that are likely those of a male, INAH archaeology coordinator Nelly Robles Garcia said.

The remains will be analyzed to determine the age, nutrition and health of the individual, as well as whether there are intentional deformities of a cultural nature. Archaeologists found a fractured skull belonging to another individual next to the remains, leading them to conclude that it may have been an offering.

A small, black tubular pitcher and pieces of a vessel were also found in the burial chamber. A red urn with a human face on it and other items were found in the grave, archaeologist Eduardo Garcia said.

Ok found this one a bit interesting. I thought I'd share this with you. It seems that we may have found a tomb [My speculation] of a possible "Sports fan or Star" of the period. The discovery includes a mural of the ancient ball game that was very popular at one time in the region.

It isn't surprising that this type of discovery would be made. When one considers that all over the region and throughout many cultures history this particular ball game was extremely important and very popular.

A few years back I wrote a thread on the topic. I proposed that the Giant Olmec heads may have been the sports stars of their time. Either that or famous warrior kings.
Olmec Giant Stone Heads Mystery Solved?
, If you haven't read it yet please take a few minutes and enjoy.

Here is a view of what the various courts looked like.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3f4783736ebc.jpg[/atsimg]

Here is a little more history behind the ancient ball games of Central America

Ancient Invention The Mexican Ball Game

The most extraordinary sport of the ancient world was the sacred ball game of Central America and the southern United States. It was first played in about 1000 B.C. by the Olmecs, who lived along the Bay of Mexico, and by all the later great civilizations of the region. From the very start it was played by the most important members of society. The colossal Olmec heads—carved from basalt brought down from mountains fifty miles away and weighing up to forty-four tons—show Olmec rulers wearing head coverings. A plausible explanation is that these are the protective helmets (like those of modern football players) worn by the Olmecs when playing their sacred ball

Ball Game Origins

Origins

It is not known precisely when or where the Mesoamerican ballgame originated, although it is likely that the game originated earlier than 1400 BCE in the low-lying tropical zones home to the rubber tree. One candidate for the birthplace of the ballgame is the Soconusco coastal lowlands along the Pacific Ocean. Here, at Paso de la Amada, archaeologists have found the oldest ballcourt yet discovered, dated to approximately 1400 BCE.

The other major candidate is the Olmec heartland, across the Isthmus of Tehuantepec along the Gulf Coast. The Aztecs referred to their Postclassic contemporaries who then inhabited the region as the Olmeca (i.e. "rubber people") since the region was strongly identified with latex production. The earliest-known rubber balls come from the sacrificial bog at El Manatí, an early Olmec-associated site located in the hinterland of the Coatzalcoalcos River drainage system. Villagers, and subsequently archaeologists, have recovered a dozen balls ranging in diameter from 10 to 22 cm from the freshwater spring there.

Five of these balls have been dated to the earliest-known occupational phase for the site, approximately 1700—1600 BCE.These rubber balls were found with other ritual offerings buried at the site, indicating that even at this early date the ballgame had religious and ritual connotations. A stone "yoke" of the type frequently associated with Mesoamerican ballcourts was also reported to have been found by local villagers at the site, leaving open the distinct possibility that these rubber balls were related to the ritual ballgame, and not simply an independent form of sacrificial offering

As always...

Stay tuned.

edit on 17-8-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
WTH Slayer??? Do you just sit around with 50 computers constantly scanning the net for these finds??

If someone doesn't hurry up and dig some extra terrestrial stuff up my head is going to implode with all the wondering. S&F for this one as usual.

ETA - That I always wonder how far these scientists are off on stuff like this. They may be calling it a ball field and it was something like a huge human buffet set up or something. It would be nice to know for sure what some of this was and if anyone ever did anything thinking that later on it would screw with someone's head. I mean...they can't be that hugely different from us and I could see people doing that now.

edit on 8/17/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
WTH Slayer??? Do you just sit around with 50 computers constantly scanning the net for these finds??

haha my thoughts exactly ..

and thanks Slayer for directing me to the new thread, I'm reading up on it now =) nothing too insightful to add yet but I was amused by Kangaruex4Ewe's comment =)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I figure all aspects of Ancient cultures/civilizations should be explored and understood.
I find all of the pre-columbian sites very interesting. While many will simply say these various societies were blood thirsty savages while ignoring their art and architecture etc etc etc.

I think the more they dig the more they'll find a very sophisticated people well versed in many of the sciences...

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

SLAYER69

Central command

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I have those same monitors (speakers) up in the right...decent for their size.

Again, Slayer, I would like to thank you for your posts. Always fascinating and it keeps me focused
our planets amazing past. Posts like these help validate the time I spend here...people often wonder
about me

Most people I know base their opinions on ATS from a one time visit...let's just say, they are not
as curious about "reality" as myself

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by exdog5

Sometimes fact is stranger and more mysterious than fiction.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

SLAYER69

Central command

I'm so .. love'n it ~!!

thx .. I knew it would look like that !!

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

THIS is why I enjoy ATS. Yeah, the political forum is where I live, but new discovery is what I live for!

Another great find Slayer and some fascinating insight into a long forgotten culture.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Very nice find.

I always find it fascinating learning new connections/similarities between the past and modern cultures.

Sporting events have been a common theme throughout history and today every culture and country on the planet boasts some kind of national sport!

Sports and competition transcends time from the ancient Greeks to these ancient Mexican civilization to our own modern sports.

Looks like we have discovered a really avid sports fan who decided to decorate with his favorites sports team

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Wow this is find stuff time! Thanks for this I search the sites often but don't seem to be around when there are new finds! I am so impatient for the news and it seems so slow in coming about these ancient sites!

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

This is very interesting thanks for the heads up.

Hmmm, I wonder what the DNA tests will reveal about what types of possible origins these individuals?

I realize it may take some time to get this info, so I will patiently await this most prized information.

And yes I agree, the ball game theory is quite plausible and I tend to favor it due to lack of a better alternative theory.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Hmmm, I wonder what the DNA tests will reveal about what types of possible origins these individuals?

I realize it may take some time to get this info, so I will patiently await this most prized information.

That should be the first thing IMO that should be done with any new tomb discovery. I'd like to see if there is a strong family tie between all these various kings etc. Like Lord Pakal who it is said to be rather tall compared to the average height of the people?

He is often referenced as such. But I've never found [Maybe you could help me out here] found out exactly how tall he really was?

Here is an example of his mummy and mask.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/53f9e4a579fd.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

The remains will be analyzed to determine the age, nutrition and health of the individual, as well as whether there are intentional deformities of a cultural nature.

Is there a hint of elongated skull here Slayer?
And would that mean he was unlikely an athlete?

Thanks for keeping us up on all these discoveries. I have to check your profile frequently to keep up with you. By the way, hows the new beast of a machine you've been working on coming along? Should fit right in "Central Command".

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
Is there a hint of elongated skull here Slayer?

I didn't want to touch that until somebody else posted something regarding the little twist to the story.

That could very well be the case

And would that mean he was unlikely an athlete?

Maybe, maybe not or they could have simply been a very big Sports fan

Thanks for keeping us up on all these discoveries. I have to check your profile frequently to keep up with you. By the way, hows the new beast of a machine you've been working on coming along? Should fit right in "Central Command".

Almost ready, a few more parts [Temp Financial constraints ]

Thanks for asking.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Not to get too far off topic, but I thought you might find this interesting. I guess you aren't the only one who can't find out his height, among other things...

They always describe the skeleton as "tall" never in exact terms and these are scientists!!! And a cone head to boot.
(Yes, a seven foot man is "tall")
The greatest find in Mayan archeology is not to be explained.!!!
I have yet to find a single photo of Pakal's complete skeleton... (Can't be shown?.) Also described as "tall" without exact length...
Inconsistant age - supposedly 80, but the skeletons teeth looks 40....
No radio carbon dating - no DNA extraction.... He does not fit!!! - he cannot be shown
I'll keep looking, but I defy anyone to find an exact description (or a photo) of his skeleton.
They make a big deal about his teeth but no photographs!

Source

edit on 8/17/2012 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Just an observation.

Our society is often critiised for being obsessed with the sports and activities surrounding them.

Yet ancient cultures may have had the same obsessions.

I wonder if it's in our genes?

Go Bears!

edit on 17-8-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Agreed, as i mention in my post sports seem to transcend time.

Throughout human development, it was who could throw the spear the farthest, or run the fastest to determine some kind of leadership status. With the removal of these trials from our modern lives, besides our recreational sporting leagues etc, we place our pent up need for competition in the form of support for our local sports teams.

Go Toronto Maple Leafs (Hockey)

edit on 17-8-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Looks more like a large array radiotelescope.

You know, like how the Egyptian pyramids were generators.

Maybe the Egyptian generators ran this radiotelescope via a very long extension cord.

What? We haven't found the extension cord?

Of course not, you ninny!!

Meltwater after the Ice Age has covered it!

Harte

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

AhhhhhhhhhHHhHHHhK , The mummy lives and he is very droll Indeed.
Very interesting find Slayer.
I think its another great piece of the picture that is coming together nicely.
edit on 17-8-2012 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join