It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian embassy in London attacked. Confirmation?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
news.xinhuanet.com...

MOSCOW, Aug. 17 (Xinhua) -- Vandals attacked the Russian Embassy in London, the diplomatic representative office said Friday.

The attackers, yelling anti-Syrian government slogans, hit the consular office of the Russian Embassy in London overnight with stones, Itar-Tass news agency reported.

The building was severely damaged, with many windows broken. Currently, there is no report of embassy staff being hurt, according to the report.

It was not the first time the Russian Embassy in London was attacked this year, the diplomatic mission said, adding the consulate would remain closed until 12:00 local time Friday due to the attack.

Just seen this, anyone know anything?
edit on 8/17/2012 by tothetenthpower because: Mod Note:Using Content From Other Websites

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
nothing on the bbc or sky news

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Seems it happened, here is another link

AlertNet

Seems the story in on Reuters as the original source.

LONDON, Aug 17 (Reuters) - Russia's embassy in London accused British police on Friday of taking no action to prevent an attack on its building by a group of activists protesting Moscow's support for Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

It made the accusation as about 40 protesters clad in balaclavas demonstrated outside the embassy, located in an upscale part of London, against the verdict in a trial of the Russian feminist punk band Pussy Riot in Moscow.

An embassy spokesman said a group of protesters chanting anti-Assad slogans attacked the building overnight, throwing stones and smashing windows.

"The police who arrived at the scene regretfully did not take any measures to stop the unsanctioned protest and detain the attackers," said the spokesman. No one was hurt.

"We view the incident as a new case of violation of the principle of inviolability of diplomatic missions in London."

More info on link.

Strange how Britain complained when its embassy's were attacked but does nothing to protect others in our country, hypocrisy much Cameron?

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Any ideas on how far away it is from the Ecudorian embassy?

I'm thinking diversion.
edit on 17-8-2012 by abdel because: added a bit

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by abdel

I'm thinking it's just what it seems to be - a small group of disaffected Syrian ex-pats who are venting their anger at the Russian regime who they view as propping up Assad.

Not saying that the Met shouldn't have taken action against the protesters but that's all it is.

And if it was meant as a distraction it clearly hasn't worked as it's caused barely a ripple in the MSM News etc.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by abdel

I don't know anything about the event, but I HATE modern journalism. There are so many inconsistencies in just the small part you quoted.

Breaking Windows does not equal "building seriously damaged."

"Vandals" don't "attack." They might graphiti or break windows, but they don't attack. Stones don't damage buildings. Just so sensationalist! Why can't they just report what happened?

edit on 17-8-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

It just seemed coincidental that it should happen today and I was wondering how far apart the embassies were, I know a few embassies are in Trafalgar Square but don't know the geography.
I should check on a London map.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
still nothing on this on bbc or rt all we are hearing about is 3 stupid girls called pussy riot ? nothing on headlines either

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
maps.google.co.uk...,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&biw=1366&bih=643& ion=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&ei=R2YuUI2eGs3a0QX9t4CQDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg

Russian Embassy, Kensington Palace Gardens, Kensington, London
Ecuadorian Embassy
3 Hans Crescent, London, Greater London SW1X 0LS
020 7584 1367 ‎ ·
Consulate of Ecuador in London, UK
Uganda House, 58-59 Trafalgar Square, London, Greater London WC2N 5DX
edit on 17-8-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by abdel

FYI

The Russian and Equadorian embassy area 1.7 walking and 1.9 driving.

Chris

edit on 17-8-2012 by christafinias because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

It wasn't the ferosity of the attack, it was the timing I was questioning.

I could be wrong anyway, i"m just being paranoid.
edit on 17-8-2012 by abdel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by abdel

Oh, I agree with you're post. I was just criticizing the way the article was written.

I agree the timing is odd, and the news out of London regarding embassies this week is odd too!

link   

Originally posted by christafinias
reply to post by abdel

FYI

The Russian and Equadorian embassy area 1.7 walking and 1.9 driving.

Chris

edit on 17-8-2012 by christafinias because: (no reason given)

So it's ten minutes walking distance, 2 hours driving then.

link   
report on r.t that the internet site has been under attack by anti assange the plot thickens

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by PrinceDreamer

And on that note, isn't our illustrious head chubby school boy on hols while all this is going on?

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
reply to post by PrinceDreamer

And on that note, isn't our illustrious head chubby school boy on hols while all this is going on?

He was also on Holiday last year when the riots kicked off.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Gotta go ditto on how this article was titled. The "attackers" threw rocks not hand grenades. Even a couple of Foo Bombs would have been more dramatic than the rocks.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by abdel
Any ideas on how far away it is from the Ecudorian embassy?

I'm thinking diversion.
edit on 17-8-2012 by abdel because: added a bit

Make sure you scroll left - right. Ecquadors Embassy is to the lower right part of the picture.

edit on 18-8-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Thanx Xcathedra, I think I was just putting too much into the coincidence I must be getting paranoid, but you've got to watch the bastards.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by abdel
reply to post by Xcathdra

Thanx Xcathedra, I think I was just putting too much into the coincidence I must be getting paranoid, but you've got to watch the bastards.

You are welcome..

When I saw the initial reports I thought the same thing so no worries.

If Assad falls from power I think Syria may regret hitching their wagon to the wrong horse. I dont think the population of Syria is going to be as forgiving had Russia taken different actions to reduce the body count.

I think Iran might fall into that same category as well.
edit on 18-8-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

top topics

join