It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A little lesson about Facebook

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I've recently read some threads which people who didn't have facebook accounts didn't really understand how it worked. I ever read one where a guy said "I Detest social media it turns the population into conformist sheeps"

Let's start of with something simple. The mission statement of the website

Mission Facebook's mission is to give people the power to share and make the world more open and connected.
. No where in there does it say "to give people the same beliefs.

On Facebook you add people who you KNOW as friends. No one is forcing you to be friends with strangers. Upon adding someone you and all there other friends will be given the option to "Like" or comment there statuses, pictures, and check-ins.

Facebook has improved it's privacy settings, and if you are really worried about how people who aren't friends with you on there can see your information, make a fake account (No pictures) with a name like "John Smith" or "Jane Doe" and view your account as someone who isn't friends with you would see it. According to this, just go to settings and either loosen up your privacy settings, or take some down according to how much Information you want others to see.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Seanwalsh

Thanks for your lesson!

Now
My turn

A lesson about face book!

Value = $50-$100 billion

You stick with your face book, I'll give it a miss thanks!

I just don't want or need to be a part of an advertising gimmick!
edit on 17-8-2012 by zerozero00 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-8-2012 by zerozero00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Seanwalsh

Looking for a new job with a particular social media site by any chance ?
Lesson 2 for you, American company with American servers in America, US government says give us access to everything and they have to comply, so when is that private between me and my 'friends'

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I have Facebook - though I rarely access it lately. Before, I had Myspace. I'll probably have whatever "new" social networking site happens to come along and cause an exodus from Facebook.

It's a convenient way to keep in touch with distant relatives and friends.

Having said that - even if these sites begin life with the best of intentions - they are the penultimate data mining tools known to man... and the beautiful part is that you don't need trojans, root kits, scanners, port hackers, key loggers, nor any other neat tool... They just need you to want your friends to "like" you and you feed the marketing industry priceless information about yourself, your demographic, and your habits without a second thought.

Oh, and we are entering the age of "Facebook as evidence" - so that's a scary aspect as well.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
i just do not get facebook if i want to talk to someone i phone or txt them or i could even write them

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

I have Facebook - though I rarely access it lately. Before, I had Myspace. I'll probably have whatever "new" social networking site happens to come along and cause an exodus from Facebook.

It's a convenient way to keep in touch with distant relatives and friends.

Having said that - even if these sites begin life with the best of intentions - they are the penultimate data mining tools known to man... and the beautiful part is that you don't need trojans, root kits, scanners, port hackers, key loggers, nor any other neat tool... They just need you to want your friends to "like" you and you feed the marketing industry priceless information about yourself, your demographic, and your habits without a second thought.

Oh, and we are entering the age of "Facebook as evidence" - so that's a scary aspect as well.

~Heff

Excellent point Heff. That alone is enough to make you pause. I imagine it may be embarrassing for some to have their Facebook accounts open to court proceedings. Try telling the judge that even though the ISP's match, your name is not Jane Doe.

www.ehow.com...

Here is another one where they can serve foreclosure notices to you now as well. Yay!

www.inquisitr.com...

To OP.... I don't have one not because I am paranoid. My information is spread so far and wide already, Facebook wouldn't put a dent in it. I don't have one because I don't care to have one. But to dismiss all issues out of hand for everyone is a bit much IMO. There are issues to be aware of.
edit on 8/17/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by FFS4000

That was the Maryland state government, the Department of Corrections,NOT THE FEDS,that was forcing people to show their fb over interviews. Not only is it against federal law, it violates FB legal terms as well.

Richard Blumenthal D-Conn announced in March that he is going to write a bill to prevent employers from asking for people to show their fb.

That being said, it doesn't stop employers and potential colleges to look for your profile.
edit on 17-8-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

Education is a wonderful thing.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

I use a fake profile name for simple searches.

And if it can be used in court or not is based on state law. My state does not allow any internet evidence to be used in court.

But you are right, the information that is already out there is downright scarey. Bank of America prompts me for security questions for things I have long fogotten about. A car that I owned 20 years ago, places that I have lived, jobs that I have had....

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
ye dont buy facebook shares now at $19 down from $38 ha bloody ha

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
the whole Facebook debate is so silly all I can do is roll my eyes.

Dont like it. Dont use it. You like it and want to use it, Use it. Be smart. Be safe. All the rest is a big ol cup of who gives a crap!

I hate Facebook. However, I have a fake name and dummy email addy I use and I dont post anything that points to who I really am - actually I dont post anything at all. Its a tool to view other people's open lives
also, if I dont have a FB account id never know a damn thing that is happening in my families life....or many other people's lives because so many people dont use the phone or email anymore.
edit on August 17th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Anyone who uses the word Sheeps is clearly not going to be interested in anything that requires friends, the plural of sheep is sheep.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Best idea yet, imho.
Allow the beast to die, it is half it's opening value and falling fast!!
Soon the masses will have to migrate from this datamine.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Friend of mine had a facebook page open on an old friend of mine. I could see everything about him. He didnt authorize my access. 'Nuff said...

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I try not to use my real name on any internet site, I do believe that the governments/elite are harvesting this information for whatever twisted reason they may have, screw the NWO.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I believe Facebook was developed as a social website for sure. But it has morphed (with help and a little arm twisting I'm sure) into a marketing information collection entity and a source of information about the private citizen in which all alphabet agencys mine the data from for their own agendas. I believe anyone who uses it is just asking for something bad to happen. For that reason I have never and never will join it.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Facebook has an option, for every post you make. It's called: "delete". Funny thing is, about 2 years ago...after reading the T&C policy...i deleted 1 years worth of posts, comments, pics and vids; and i'm glad i did. Now, it takes 3 steps to delete your posts...whereas before, it only took 1. My facebook page today, has 1 page worth of info, and very few photos. Not a smart idea, to post everything, to 'the world' anyway!

And, just to let you know...before you "deactivate" your facebook account, everything has to be deleted from your facebook page. It must be returned back to the state it was in, before you joined. Blank! If not, all your information STAYS on file!!!

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Sorry, i wasn't using a particular case, just the facts under the Patriot act. If any alphabet agency of the US government asks for the content on their servers they have to supply it, whether it's your details, your mums, your brothers, or anyone else in the world with aFB account, so as stated not private and not secure regardless of what privacy settings you use.

I refused to fill in the UK census last year because it was being run and controlled by Lockheed Martin, the worlds largest defence contractor based in the US. Quite what 'experience' they have in collating census info (cough cough) is beyond me.

Also technically treason, as i would have been in effect passing this info to a foreign government

new topics

top topics

join