Prehistoric Human Brain Found Pickled in Bog

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I am curious if the concept of bicameral brains is something that can be proven out in study of items such as this.

The theory goes that as recent as biblical times (which is about 3000 years ago, depending on where in the bible you are talking) man still suffered from a bicameral mind that functioned at a fairly high level, and might be the basis for the sensational stories that come from that era.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
More than 20 years ago as I was always in the library going through books, there was a story about "The Bog Men" There were a few photos showing some of those people that were found in the peat bogs. I remember reading that people were hung as punishment (for crimes?) and then thrown into the peat bogs. I saw one pic of a man who still had a portion of rope still around his neck, somewhat peaceful expression, in PERFECT condition, and his skin had darkened to a color similar to bronze. At that time, it didnt say anything about any brains intact within his skull, but I can bet anything the brains were still there along with all other vital organs. I wish I could remeber the country that was in. Judging by the pics, the man had a rounded face shape, possibly looked Asian, had closed eyes, but looked as if they could be almond shaped if opened. His clothing looked like it could be muslin-type, and I think he was also wearing a type of cloth cap on his head (looked similar to a Sufi's Dervish dancer's cap).

Low on time right now, but someone may find somewhere talking about the Bog Man.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
This is cool. I think it is still a little too messed up to slice and scan though. Might have like a days worth of infirmation spread over years of development. Still a glimpse into the size of glands and cognitive centers would reveal allot.

Slice scan it and see what you got.

Nice

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Slayer , I do not think a zombie would even consider eating that brain..................
I really don't believe we could learn much of anything from this , and really why would one want to anyway ; but it does have a certain wth factor to it I guess.
edit on 17-8-2012 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Does anybody else want to eat that?

Great find

S & F

Tacos!!!

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Does anybody else want to eat that?
It was prolly eaten up to begin with already from the inside by the spouse/girlfriend
if its a male brain
edit on 17-8-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elentarri
squishy!

Nice find. Wonder if the media will follow up with results from any of the scientific tests they could (should!!!) do on it?
Naaah...they're too busy with the elections and mud slinging and getting pimped by the political parties

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
I am curious if the concept of bicameral brains is something that can be proven out in study of items such as this.

The theory goes that as recent as biblical times (which is about 3000 years ago, depending on where in the bible you are talking) man still suffered from a bicameral mind that functioned at a fairly high level, and might be the basis for the sensational stories that come from that era.

According to a quick wiki article on the subject of bicameralism the hypothesis does not suggest that there was an actual missing link between the 2 hemispheres

The metaphor is NOT meant to imply that the two halves of the bicameral brain were "cut off" from each other but that the bicameral mind was experienced as a different, non-conscious mental schema wherein volition in the face of novel stimuli was mediated through a linguistic control mechanism and experienced as auditory verbal hallucinations.

but rather the way the brain hemispheres were communicating with each other. Interesting concept one which I had never heard about or even contemplated before. thanks for the education.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
So a Zombie walks into a bog...

-

Two zombies are eating brain hot dogs and one says "have any relish?" The other says "no, but I got pickles..."

-

Okay okay...

But this is an amazing find.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Was the brain found all by itself??. It wasn't incased in a skull???. Were there any other bones in the area where they found the brain???.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by happyzodiac

i dont meanto be rude but did you even bother to read the post by the op (let alone the article itself) or just the title and a glance at the picture?
it says right in the description that "A human skull dated to about 2,684 years ago with an "exceptionally preserved" human brain still inside"

and yes very interesting find i wonder how how much mineralization has occurred
if its not much this could provide some good information on the state of mind of our ancestors
edit on 17-8-2012 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemooone2

Slayer , I do not think a zombie would even consider eating that brain..................
I really don't believe we could learn much of anything from this , and really why would one want to anyway ; but it does have a certain wth factor to it I guess

Why would we want to learn more about the human brain?

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

according to the authors, who also believe it's one of the best-preserved ancient brains in the world.

Anyone know about these other ancient brains?

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

It might be a simple case of a "software" variance, whereas the same wiring was repurposed in a different way to allow a solid state brain vs the component system utilized in bicameralism. I would totally buy this.

It may also be an artifact of the way the corpus collosum is formed, allowing for a variance in the way the hemispheres communicate. I don't know...but would be curious to see if a study might be possible to help elucidate this a little.

I guess first, we would need to prove out bicameralism.
But that notwithstanding, it is a viable study to consider while conducting studies on morphology. The icing on the cake would be attempting to map electrical impulses to see how the brains wiring was configured.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by triplereiki

Just a quick search turned up these, enjoy.
Sorry the photo of the brain just looks gross to me.
It would be interesting to see the results of DNA testing though, how many decendants could one person have after 3000 years.

Lindow Man
Mid-1st century AD, Cheshire, England

www.britishmuseum.org...

Murdered "Bog Men" Found With Hair Gel, Manicured Nails

news.nationalgeographic.com...

news.nationalgeographic.com...

Tollund Man"

www.tollundman.dk...

Grauballe man Grauballe, Denmark

nematode.unl.edu...

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I'll take a slice of ancient brain, please, Medium-rare with A1 and a pitcher beer.

Thank you.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

I'm curious about this pickling process used... as I've used the southern pickling method on a few brains and it seems to eat through the flesh after time.

Can you give us the recipe used? Or is this a sacred, in the necromancer's family handbook, and taboo to just post such rituals online?

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Someone mentioned development of the human brain from this 2500 yr old brain?

Well he used to believe in faeries and stuff ....and a lot on ATS believe in aliens so no... I don't think there's been much development at all really

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I wonder if the knowledge and technology will ever exist to a level of learning something useful from a dead brain like that. I mean the structure and how information is stored.. There has to be something there. Anything at all...if the technology gets advanced enough to truly understand how our minds work.

I had no idea there were preserved examples like this from our past? How exciting. SO much in science and medicine is exciting right now.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
2684 years ago isn't prehistoric, and it would have been pretty much identical to our brains today. Still pretty cool though.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join