Prehistoric Human Brain Found Pickled in Bog

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
+4 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Very interesting find. Too bad they couldn't use the technique to preserve the famous rulers from the past (good or bad).

A human skull dated to about 2,684 years ago with an "exceptionally preserved" human brain still inside of it was recently discovered in a waterlogged U.K. pit, according to a new Journal of Archaeological Science study.

The brain is the oldest known intact human brain from Europe and Asia, according to the authors, who also believe it's one of the best-preserved ancient brains in the world.

LINK
edit on 17-8-2012 by hp1229 because: add link and image

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229
Very interesting find. Too bad they couldn't use the technique to preserve the famous rulers from the past (good or bad).

A human skull dated to about 2,684 years ago with an "exceptionally preserved" human brain still inside of it was recently discovered in a waterlogged U.K. pit, according to a new Journal of Archaeological Science study.

The brain is the oldest known intact human brain from Europe and Asia, according to the authors, who also believe it's one of the best-preserved ancient brains in the world.

Link to article please.

Will be very interesting to see what kind of conclusions they can draw from the level of development of this preserved brain. It will also be a good source to credit or discredit some theories on the mental development of our ancestors!

Very interesting

Edit: THanks for the link and awesome picture. Star and Flag
edit on 17-8-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229

LINK
edit on 17-8-2012 by hp1229 because: add link and image

Very interesting........how can something so fragile such as a brain have been preserved in such a way for such a long period of time......

Any chance of a link from where you got this from so I can read more about it please?

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

Link is at the bottom
I had to edit the post to add the image and the link.
Yep. It is amazing how things can be preserved for such a long time. I do know wine is one such fluid besides brandy that doesnt go bad with age including honey. Whiskey was often used to preserve things in the modern history.
edit on 17-8-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

This is very cool.
From a physical cognitive development standpoint, this could be quite very interesting.

How much drift, mutation, and change has occurred in over 2000 years?

Nice find.
Well done.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Wow great find! I was surprised to learn there have been others. Off to read more about ancient preserved brains. Kind of a weird morning but Im OK with that.

Inb4 endless zombie jokes.

Ok one joke. 2k years ols and still more advanced than an Obama supporter. Theyre k8nda zombies.
edit on 17-8-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Amazing god bless the rainy British weather, actually looking out of the window maybe not, sigh

It is times like this you wish certain parts of science fiction were possible, wouldn't it be nice if we could extract the memories that brain once held to see the world 3000 years ago, to know their thoughts and feelings, their beliefs and motivations. A time when Britain was still 2/3 forest, where wolves and bears still roamed.

Fascinating find, thanks for posting

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Wasn't there a recent thread about a researcher that had figured out a way to slice a brain in micrometers and scan it into some software, with the ultimate goal of being able to upload the knowledge and memories from that brain?

Wouldn't it be amazing to pull the data out of this brain for review!!!

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
clone it.....just clone it. lol

This is pretty awesome..considering the advancement we have made in DNA identification this little nugget should reveal much juicy info. pretty spectacular nice find and thank for sharing.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Thanks. That would be amazing to know including any existing descandants/remants from this particular gene pool in the region

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
Ok one joke. 2k years ols and still more advanced than an Obama supporter. Theyre k8nda zombies.
edit on 17-8-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)
they didn't have koolaid back then to destroy the brain

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by hp1229

Not sure but need to search for it. That would be nice to decipher the memory from few thousand years ago.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd
clone it.....just clone it. lol
Dont wanna clone it if its a tyrant or a psycho from the past
But nevertheless, I'm sure the geneology can perhaps be traced (my guess it would be a rich or royal as the poor and peasants wern't lucky enough to be preserved...IMO )

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

The ATS Search Engine no longer works for me on Firefox. I don't know why. I think it was a Harvard Researcher, and I think there was some time frame like before the year 2020.

Maybe you can find the thread in ATS if you search a couple of words like brain, Harvard, slice, upload, etc.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrinceDreamer
It is times like this you wish certain parts of science fiction were possible, wouldn't it be nice if we could extract the memories that brain once held to see the world 3000 years ago, to know their thoughts and feelings, their beliefs and motivations. A time when Britain was still 2/3 forest, where wolves and bears still roamed.

Thanks. Wouldn't it be nice if all those memories can be recorded and projected?
I'm thinking of the movie..'black knight'.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by hp1229

Maybe you can find the thread in ATS if you search a couple of words like brain, Harvard, slice, upload, etc.

Are you thinking about the below thread?
ATS_THREAD_1

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I wonder what it's haplogroup is!

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Nope, that isn't it.

The title was something about immortality, and the thread was about uploading his consciousness into a computer.

ETA:

Found it with Google! The first immortal man?

edit on 17-8-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
squishy!

Nice find. Wonder if the media will follow up with results from any of the scientific tests they could (should!!!) do on it?

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Does anybody else want to eat that?

Great find

S & F

<<   2  3 >>

join