It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado U. to segregate dorms for students with gun permits

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Because 96% of the time you can tell by what the person looks like if they are carrying a gun illegally or not.

Preppy looking frat boys or stoner suburbanites are unlikely to carry, a thugged out looking dude is a different story maybeeeeeeeee a hillbilly as well.

edit on 17-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

Can you back this up with some stats....or is this just your opinion. Because I disagree. Completely. And way to stereotype.

I wonder what you would think of ME if you saw me on the street. 5' and a chic. I bet you wouldnt think I would be packing and have a great aim.

You also clearly dont live in Colorado...a CCW state where the "types" of people is just as varied as anywhere else.....and they could be carrying....or not.
edit on August 17th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

I didn't say executives didn't carry guns. Yeah, I made the number up but I'm going by personal experience.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Statistically more people die a year by accidental shootings than random shooting massacres

Let's look at adds of death.. You're more likely to die from falling off furniture than to die from an accidental gunshot ...
.... shooting massacres are rare, of course.. I'm merely stating that if one happens I'm more likely to live if I'm with a dorm full of gun owners... the odds you mention are so minuscule it's not even worth mentioning.. but here you go

1st = Auto Accidents 1 in 228
2nd= Reaction to Medication 1 in 541
3rd= Hanging/Suffocating Yourself 1 in 576
4th= Drowning 1 in 1081
5th= Choking on non food objects 1 in 1267
6th= House Fire 1 in 1471
7th= Falling From Furniture 1 in 4745
8th= ATV Accident 1 in 4800
9th= ACCIDENTAL GUNSHOT 1 in 4888

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Nah, Ohio is a CCW state as well.

link   

Statistically more people die a year by accidental shootings than random shooting massacres

Link? Please cite your source.

link   

And what is the gun massacre stat

1 in 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000?

link   

I didn't say executives didn't carry guns. Yeah, I made the number up but I'm going by personal experience.

You were still judging by appearance.. personal experience means little... you can't judge by appearance... 96%, made up or not .. is still probably grossly exaggerated

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Your opinion is your opinion and you are entitled to it. But you are wrong. You cannot look at a person and know if they are packing or not.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

So you are just making random posts on here making crap up. At least we have that clear now.

If you want to spout of comments that come off as facts you know, back them up with sources please.

link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

Because 96% of the time you can tell by what the person looks like if they are carrying a gun illegally or not.

Preppy looking frat boys or stoner suburbanites are unlikely to carry, a thugged out looking dude is a different story maybeeeeeeeee a hillbilly as well.

Can you back this up with some stats....or is this just your opinion. Because I disagree. Completely. And way to stereotype.

I wonder what you would think of ME if you saw me on the street. 5' and a chic. I bet you wouldnt think I would be packing and have a great aim.

You also clearly dont live in Colorado...a CCW state where the "types" of people is just as varied as anywhere else.....and they could be carrying....or not.
edit on August 17th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

I agree with you on the "look" thing. I am 5'3, a female, and tip the scales at around 100 lbs. I CCW and my aim shames any man in my family... Nobody would suspect I CCW if they didn't already know. Stereotypes like that get people killed every day. I am always glad to see another woman comfortable with her ability to defend herself if need be.

link   

By the way - I also live in Ohio .. yes Ohio is a CCW state... but you can't tell who's carrying and who's not... that's an absurd thing to say in my honest opinion..

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
delete
edit on 8/17/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I thought it was common sense, mass shootings aren't that frequent

Deadly count: US averages 20 mass shootings every year

rt.com...

In 2008 there were 680 accidental shooting deaths in the United States, with more than 15,500 shooting injuries.

www.thesurvivorsclub.org...

All it takes is one bullet to make someone a quadriplegic

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Yeah but I know a lot of people. I've lived in the ghetto, suburb, and rural. The majority of the people that were gun nuts were thugs and hillbillies. Of course anecdotal evidence isn't really reliable, but still.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
I agree with you on the "look" thing. I am 5'3, a female, and tip the scales at around 100 lbs. I CCW and my aim shames any man in my family... Nobody would suspect I CCW if they didn't already know. Stereotypes like that get people killed every day. I am always glad to see another woman comfortable with her ability to defend herself if need be.

And I'm a big, menacing looking, shaved head, tattooed white guy .. I get stereotyped all the time ... people think I am about to break out into a fight, be racist or any other number of things... no, I'm just a formerly fat guy who got in shape.. shaved my head on a dare and decided I liked it and got matching tattoos with the girl I was engaged with at the time ( bad idea folks ) ... I'm a super nice guy, I own no weapons aside from a couple of swords I hang on the wall for decoration..

If you put me next to you and RealSpoke had to guess who was packing.. he would pick me and wrong.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
So if I was a thief now I know which building has all the guns.

I presume the students cant carry in classrooms?

If that's the case then I just stake the place out, wait for a couple to head to class, feign "lost my card" or "left my card in my room" sooner or later be let in, kick a door, loot and walk out.

Stupid idea.

Would you put a sign up in front of your house listing your valuables?

Likewise would you put a sign up in front of your house that reads: "Unarmed Inside"?

Everyone is so stupid. Why cant they just let people be?

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Are you talking about legally obtained and permitted CCW carriers or just random thugs?

I can assure you, that you cannot pick a CCW person out of a crowd. No way. We buy better equipment, get better training, and it is paramount that you cannot pick us out of a crowd. If I got caught carrying my gun at work, I could lose my job. If I got caught carrying my gun on University grounds, I'd get arrested. You absolutely cannot guess who is carrying a legal gun.

Sure, you can guess that some gang-bangers, and bikers are probably carrying guns, but are those legal guns? I highly doubt it.

I'd bet a full year's salary that there are more suburbanites and executives carrying guns than there are gangbangers.

270,000,000 guns owned in the US. Legal guns. Those are not gang-bangers, not by a long-shot. Those are regular folks that you encounter every day. Nobody at my work, or in my college courses knows that I carry a gun. One day a guest lecturer in a college course was railing on about guns, and 3 of us in the classroom were playing devil's advocate and arguing against him. This was more than halfway through the semester, and we had never spoken before. After the class we stood around outside and talked awhile, and eventually we got around to showing each other our guns. 3 people, at least, out of 25 in the class, had concealed guns in that classroom, against school policy, during a lecture about the danger of guns on campus. Imagine how many more guns are probably present!!

One day at work, one of my big bosses was talking about how an employee of the state must alert their supervisor if they intend to carry a gun at work. My unit manager stood up to guarantee her that nobody in his unit carried a gun. She smiled, and winked at me, and said, "I can guarantee you there are 3 in this room at this moment, would you care to re-think that?" He looked stunned and looked around and sat down meekly. The woman speaking carried her gun everyday, and she had approved me to carry, and one of my employees to carry, and we were sitting there quietly. Nobody ever had a clue.

Whatever you think you know about gun owners, you are probably completely wrong.
edit on 17-8-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Yeah but I know a lot of people. I've lived in the ghetto, suburb, and rural. The majority of the people that were gun nuts were thugs and hillbillies. Of course anecdotal evidence isn't really reliable, but still.

And you automatically assume I don't or haven't? .. you assume far too much.. where I live right now has a higher crime rate than Compton... a woman was raped in broad daylight next to court house square... My nephew was robbed at the ATM in broad daylight with a shotgun...

It doesn't matter... wrong is wrong.. you can't judge people by their appearance, you can say it all you like but it still won't be correct... all you're really saying is that you stereotype people and are jaded...
edit on 8/17/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe

And I'm a big, menacing looking, shaved head, tattooed white guy .. I get stereotyped all the time ... people think I am about to break out into a fight, be racist or any other number of things... no, I'm just a formerly fat guy who got in shape.. shaved my head on a dare and decided I liked it and got matching tattoos with the girl I was engaged with at the time ( bad idea folks ) ... I'm a super nice guy, I own no weapons aside from a couple of swords I hang on the wall for decoration..

If you put me next to you and RealSpoke had to guess who was packing.. he would pick me and wrong.

I do have to admit that I have tattoos that are visible most of the time and I do get looked at like I am going to steal something from time to time, but I don't really think they expect me to pull out a gun. So I do know what you mean on some part of that. People's stereotypes kill me and I try really hard not to do it myself for that reason.

When people have fears or suspicions like that, it can be dangerous either way. Judging who is CCW or not based on appearance can cost someone their life in the right circumstances. It can also cause others to miss signs they should have seen in someone else who looked "business like" but went bat shiite crazy... but you'll never convince others of that.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by MightyPenfriend
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

Is this not discrimination and segregation based solely on the distinction between people excercising their right to bear arms and those that don't?

I am not an American but is this constitutional?

No, it is not discrimination in the legal sense because it is not making any distinction based on WHAT someone is, but rather on the elective choice being made. One cannot help it if one is white or black, latino or anglo, gay or straight, male or female. Whether or not one wants to carry a gun is a choice.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join