It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists Taxed For Not Going To Church?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   

“People who have an active vibrant spiritual life are healthier. They live longer, they are healthier, and they are happier. Their physical health is better. What we ought to do is we ought to have an individual mandate from the government that everybody has to go to church because, after all, Obamacare is all about improving the health of the American people. We know that going to church is good for you, it’s good for your health, so we are going to mandate that you go to Church for your own health… and we are going to tax the athiests who don’t go to church. Now, we can’t make you go to church, but we are going to penalize you if you don’t. We’re gonna assess a tax on every atheist that doesn’t go to church because those atheists are endangering their physical health.

It's very clear that the Founding Fathers did not intend to preserve automatically religious liberty for non-Christian faiths.

This guy is nuts, how do people like this even have an audience? I can't believe that there are that many militant Christian nut jobs out there. I mean, I know they exist but it's just hard to imagine that people can be so brainwashed. Why are so many Christian leaders so hateful?

How can one even be truly free while believing in religion? It dictates how one should act and puts people into a linear line of thought. It is really just a form of mind control.

edit on 17-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
This is just opinion, not a law and no chance of ever happening.. it's also ignorant of him.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
For the same reason as all extremists, it's their view or none at all. Anyone who has beliefs like this is an extremist. Problem is supposedlly 97% of the world population believe in a sky fairy of one form or another, that quote may have been taken from a film i cant remember.

Contact, the film with Jodie whats her name, had a bit in it i think that may have come from there, about how could they send someone who didn't believe in god. For me that would be a pre-requisite, if you believe in god you shouldn't be going.

Anyway i prefered the comment in Paul, near the end when he is leaving, as the god loving father says god be with you, Paul says, yeah, whatever dude. Godd bit before though still has to be the argument, created in his image etc, then he says well explain me.

link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Two things I do not want. Atheists in my church that don't want to be there. Atheists that want to be there and check it out, that's cool, come on it. But if they don't wanna be there then we're gonna have a bad time.

And second, is a tax war. Atheism is on the rise. It wouldn't be long before it was switched around the other way. That may happen one day anyway, but ha, jokes on them. It's all fiat currency anyway.

And one thing I'd like to see stop is using taxes as a form of punishing people for living different than you, even though what they do isn't illegal. Like it's not illegal, stop trying to punish me by over taxing me. I've done nothing wrong.

It's also unfortunate that people haven't figured out what the purpose of taxes are yet either. You can tell that someone is confused anytime they talk about raising a tax to solve a problem. Like paying the debt off for example. That's a dead giveaway they don't understand. The national debt is not like other debts. It is not intended to be paid off. Anyone that suggests raising taxes is just trying to remove you from your money.

Pretty much all the spending is new borrowed money and does not come from tax revenue. The gov spends far too much to operate on tax revenue. It is hopeless to ever pay the debt off no matter how much we tax.

Our system is designed so that the debt can never be paid off ON PURPOSE. That's where all our money comes from. Lots of people say we have a fiat currency that's not backed up by anything. Sometimes even I myself say that, but that's not exactly accurate. It is backed up by something. It's backed up by debt.

We have a debt based currency. When a loan is taken out the money is created. When the loan is paid back the money is destroyed. The debt is the money. Do the math. To pay the debt back=no federal reserve money in circulation. Zero, nada, zilch.

link   
Ha, freakin weirdos.

I would be willing to bet that within the first 30 minutes they would be asking people to leave and not come back.

But really, some people just live in their own little fantasy land.

link   
I'm sure if everyone believed in unicorns that they would feel better too ... so perhaps I should make a mandate that forces everyone to believe in unicorns =) ..

This guy is just using his mandate of enforcing religion to argue against Obamacare... basically saying that if they can force you to get healthcare, they should force you to go to church because it's "good for you" ..

He's comparing apples to elephants though.. one is physical health, including life endangering maladies ... the other is a philosophy/personal belief/fairy tale..... they cannot be compared

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
So this what "Freedom of Religion" looks like!
Nice!

I choose to visit my God in the bush or on a beach anywhere away from the manic city, where I can communicate with HER on my own without the monotonous droning on of someone who is most likely just in it for the money in any case! How many "poor" preachers do you know?
I am closer to my God in a setting of my choosing than most pious people who sit in grand buildings surrounded by garish items of idolatry, fancy flowers etc, each trying to outdo the next on whose clothes are the most expensive, whose hat is the biggest, whose children are the most intelligent, whose house is the largest, whose car is the latest, the list is endless!
My god doesn't ask a penny from me, just me, my mind and my time! And that's how it's gonna stay!

How the funk do you control this in any case? Clock in when you enter the Holy premises and then send in your timecard at the end of every financial year together with your tax documents? What a laugh!

edit on 17/8/12 by wiser3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by tinfoilman

Fiat currency is old school - now we have zeros and ones on computers that are infinite and can be manipulated in any way the person ( people ) controlling the system see fit.

Now, on topic...

Zealotry and outlandish claims/statements are all the rage these days in certain Evangelical circles. Praise God and pass the collection plate...

~Heff
edit on 8/17/12 by Hefficide because: clarity

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by tinfoilman
Our system is designed so that the debt can never be paid off ON PURPOSE. That's where all our money comes from. Lots of people say we have a fiat currency that's not backed up by anything. Sometimes even I myself say that, but that's not exactly accurate. It is backed up by something. It's backed up by debt.

But the national debt HAS been paid off ... I've been fortunate enough to live in a time when we actually had surplus..

I don't agree with you ... we're just used to having debt... it's not that we should be in debt, are designed to be in debt or that debt is a good thing.. we're just acclimated to it... that mentality has to stop.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
[Zealotry and outlandish claims/statements are all the rage these days in certain Evangelical circles. Praise God and pass the collection plate...

No kidding.. I drove by what is known as "Big Butter Jesus" every day .. a gigantic statue of Jesus in Ohio ... known as "big butter jesus" because of it's appearance.. there's even a song about the thing.... it was struck by lightning and burned to the ground, perhaps a sign!

Nevertheless.. the church in question was a client of ours.. I didn't like them immediately because they pulled up in very fancy cars, they wore gold rings, gold bracelets and gold necklaces... dressed in expensive suits .. and were willing to spend any amount of money on their web site..Their church building by the way is extravagant...

It's absolutely ridiculous ... they are tax free and making millions on donations.. and they are currently rebuilding big butter jesus.. They are doing everything Jesus would have wanted with those donations, I'm sure.... feed the hungry? nah.. buy cars, build buildings, make statues...
edit on 8/17/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I say he's right. All Americans should go to mosque at least once a day and observe Salah at home and in the workplace or pay very heavy taxes.

Spirituality is important, as the man says, it's good for a person's physical health. Everyone should do it to make America a more spiritually harmonious place.

What do you mean, he didn't mean thatspirituality or religion? Oh, I geddit, he meant that other Middle Eastern desert religion: the Blue-Eyed Jesus one.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

But the national debt HAS been paid off ... I've been fortunate enough to live in a time when we actually had surplus..

I don't agree with you ... we're just used to having debt... it's not that we should be in debt, are designed to be in debt or that debt is a good thing.. we're just acclimated to it... that mentality has to stop.

The last time we paid off the debt was when Andrew Jackson shut down the central bank which was another debt based system. We were debt free for one year.

We now have the federal reserve. Another central bank, debt based system and the debt will not be paid off until we again shut down the central bank. That's the only way to pay the debt off completely.

The surplus was a deficit surplus. The deficit and the debt are two different things. The deficit is the difference between how much we take in, and how much we spend per year.

We still had the debt under Clinton. We just had a budget surplus that allowed the gov to use that surplus to make payments on the public debt. Which brought the debt down, but it was still there. It cannot be removed completely. That's where our money comes from.

It can go up and down, but never completely removed until we stop using a debt based system.
edit on 17-8-2012 by tinfoilman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir
I say he's right. All Americans should go to mosque at least once a day and observe Salah at home and in the workplace or pay very heavy taxes.

Spirituality is important, as the man says, it's good for a person's physical health. Everyone should do it to make America a more spiritually harmonious place.

What do you mean, he didn't mean thatspirituality or religion? Oh, I geddit, he meant that other Middle Eastern desert religion: the Blue-Eyed Jesus one.

Very good point .... I'm atheist but if I HAD to go to church, why would I pick Christianity? ... I'm sure that's what he's advocating... what if I wanted to go to a Buddhist temple instead? ... or a mosque ... or a satanist whatever you'd call it =)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

In other words let me explain the budget surplus like this. Your credit cards are your debt. Your budget is how much you spend per year. Your deficit is the difference between how much you made and how much you spent this year.

You could easily have a surplus one year by simply not buying anything. There ya go, you had a surplus this year. You made money, but you didn't buy anything. You made more than you spent.

But the credit card debt you ran up last year is still there. Your debt didn't go away.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   

We haven't had a surplus since the 1800's. www.npr.org...

Half of the debt we have now isn't even ours. I didn't sign up to bailout wallstreet, did you?
edit on 17-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
or a satanist whatever you'd call it =)

7-11. They call it a 7-11.

second line, doing fine.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   

In other words let me explain the budget surplus like this. Your credit cards are your debt. Your budget is how much you spend per year. Your deficit is the difference between how much you made and how much you spent this year.

You could easily have a surplus one year by simply not buying anything. There ya go, you had a surplus this year. You made money, but you didn't buy anything. You made more than you spend.

But the credit card debt you ran up last year is still there. Your debt didn't go away.

Point well made... I do stand corrected

Though this doesn't apply to me thank goodness, I use credit cards merely to maintain a credit rating.. they are paid off instantly... The only things I buy are food, clothing and the occasional iphone =) ..

So if the national debt cannot be paid off, we still need to reign in our spending and not just pretend that it's a bottomless pit.. I think we can all agree there

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
A laughed a lot with the old man and a lot more with some answers here. If I don't want to go to the church, nobody can make me. I'm a free person, not a murder convict. And please, religion kills my brain cells, not believing God (the religious one) makes me an happier person, makes me healthier. I'm an agnostic, as I believe in some form of "higher enlightness" but don't believe in a specific religion. That only makes us travel back in time and be far less advanced than we should be.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by tinfoilman

Fiat currency is old school - now we have zeros and ones on computers that are infinite and can be manipulated in any way the person ( people ) controlling the system see fit.
~Heff
edit on 8/17/12 by Hefficide because: clarity

That's not the way our system is supposed to work though. You can't just make money out of thin air in our system. Someone is supposed to have to take out a loan before new money can be created.

Why? The idea is, this will stop too much money from being printed. This way they can't just create it willy nilly. They have to put their credit score on the line. Borrow too much and you get downgraded. Your interest payments go up. You can't borrow anymore. Just like what happened to the gov right?

Except then they started Quantitative Easing. QE is when they just print it out of thin air with no repercussions, like crippling their credit score if they print too much. See, that's why QE 1, 2, and 3 are such a big deal. They're not supposed to be doing that.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Until we think about all the people's jobs who depends on that government spending. Then it's not so clear anymore if we should be paying the debt, or borrowing more.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join