It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MY little Pony...Innocent show? Or left wing conspiracy to feminize men?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by xKhaosXREVolutionXx
This is perhaps the most ignorant thread I have seen on this website.

The "Male attitude" that you claim naturally exists was engineered by society. It's nothing more than a gender role. If a guy wants to watch a show about frolicking ponies, there shouldn't be an attack on his "manliness". Rather, I think we need to question why we automatically think a guy liking things that were designed only for "girls" is such a horrible thing.

Well that may be true,but the extremes some of these fans go to is just weird. this thread isnt about manliness so to speak. Its about a observation i have personally seen at times. MLP is just one facet of it. It seems so many shows these days are slipping subliminal clues into their programming. Is it part of a master plan by TPTB to weaken male egos to make them easier to manipulate? Could it be a feminist plot? Who really knows. Mayby i should just lay off the caffiene LOL.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
left wing conspiracy to feminize men OR right wing capitalist conspiracy to sell more and more useless product?

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Theres nothing wrong with letting men feel, letting cute things entertain us.
Doesn't make anyone less manly.

Theres nothing wrong with guys liking cute things, or showing their emotions.

It counters the common male trend that guys are not supposed to feel, and that lack of emotion is 'attractive'.

link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir
left wing conspiracy to feminize men OR right wing capitalist conspiracy to sell more and more useless product?

Interesting take on it. I wonder if the conspiracy extends to both sides of the aisle. It bet you are on to something. lets check google. I have a listing,and guess who is on the list? Goldman sachs.

stockzoa.com...

And heres something interesting. Hasbro will not release their sales figures.

online.wsj.com...

This keeps getting more interesting.

link   
When I saw this thread, I thought of anime. And then I thought of Majic, an ATS administrator, because he's had MANY anime avatars. I wasn't surprised to see that the previous My Little Pony thread was authored by him.
I've been involved in many discussions over the years with Majic (and read even more of his thoughts) and he's one of the people I most admire and respect here. He's a gentle man, in touch with the various aspects of himself, not caught up in the "macho" image that men in our society are taught to portray.

If there's a conspiracy here, it's the one that teaches that for a man to enjoy something about friendship, love, kindness, sweetness and compassion, is "feminizing" them. That's BUNK. Majic is a man. A real man, IMO. And one I wish I could know better.

And for people to think that there's something "wrong" with someone who likes "My Little Pony" - well, I think they really need to get a life.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by yuppa

The men who watch it report that they like the values it teaches. How to work as a community, treat each other with respect, how to be a good friend.

Or would you rather they just go get drunk and start bar brawls in the streets to settle their problems?

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

edit on 17-8-2012 by rambo1112 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

I knew a biker that collected carousel horses. Had a beautiful one in the middle of his living room. Everyone assumed it was his wife's at first.

Had curio cabinets full of them.

And I would dare anyone to make fun of him, lol.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
When I saw this thread, I thought of anime. And then I thought of Majic, an ATS administrator, because he's had MANY anime avatars. I wasn't surprised to see that the previous My Little Pony thread was authored by him.
I've been involved in many discussions over the years with Majic (and read even more of his thoughts) and he's one of the people I most admire and respect here. He's a gentle man, in touch with the various aspects of himself, not caught up in the "macho" image that men in our society are taught to portray.

If there's a conspiracy here, it's the one that teaches that for a man to enjoy something about friendship, love, kindness, sweetness and compassion, is "feminizing" them. That's BUNK. Majic is a man. A real man, IMO. And one I wish I could know better.

And for people to think that there's something "wrong" with someone who likes "My Little Pony" - well, I think they really need to get a life.

^This.
There is no conspiracy. They reboot the show so they could make more money. Thats just what they do. Like they did with the spiderman movies. And star wars.

I'de rather enjoy something about friendship,love and kindness then some crap tv show about sex and booze and macho men who 'get all the girls' (also herpes).

If everyone on the planet watched MLP and took the lessons that it was teaching with them into the real world, the world would be a different place. Also the content generated from the fanbase (art, music, fan-fic, comics, parodies) is just amazing.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by rambo1112

The people willing to ignore you because of what TV shows you like.
Are not people that i want to talk to anyways.

I hate sports.
But i dont go around telling sports fan that i hate sports.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by yuppa

The men who watch it report that they like the values it teaches. How to work as a community, treat each other with respect, how to be a good friend.

Or would you rather they just go get drunk and start bar brawls in the streets to settle their problems?

If they learn something thats great. My thing though is the Rabid bronies. The ones almost Crazy for the show. Dont you find something off about them? And no I prefeer to not fight in bar brawls. they cost to much money and you always go home smelling like beer.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

reply to post by AzureSky

I knew a biker that collected carousel horses. Had a beautiful one in the middle of his living room. Everyone assumed it was his wife's at first.

Had curio cabinets full of them.

And I would dare anyone to make fun of him, lol.

Exactly! Haha. Let people like what they want.
Fathers who watch it will give those values to their children.
That is something the human race needs, better than being raised on football and junk tv that doesnt teach anything..

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by yuppa

Just like you are trying to accuse MLP of feminizing men, you are trying to use this as an excuse to blacken the feminist movement.

You know who forced men into the perceived manly gender roles? Other men.

YOu don't see a mother telling her son to stop being a cry baby, or telling him they are a pansy.

Then you wind up with a man who has emotions he is not allowed to express except for anger, so to deal he goes to a bar every night to drown his sorrows and then comes home and kicks the dog and hits the wife.

A little relief, or feminization or the metrosexual movement was the best thing to happen to the male gender. Now a guy can actually cry if he is upset that his dog died, and not from kicking it to death.

This has been so crucial that the men who now enter the military, now actually say something if they are hurt, instead of "sucking it up like a soldier" and have helped researchers infinetly because they have entry physical information and now they can track chronic pain. It opened a whole new door for the medical community on pain treatment.

Now that we have stopping the masculation process, vets can actually receive treatment for ptsd.

So if a man has a bad day of being yelled at by the boss, being cut off in traffic and getting hit with a bill he wasn't expecting, he has the same rights as a woman to go home and escape to a show where everything is innocent, sane, peaceful and fun.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by yuppa

reply to post by yuppa

If they learn something thats great. My thing though is the Rabid bronies. The ones almost Crazy for the show. Dont you find something off about them? And no I prefeer to not fight in bar brawls. they cost to much money and you always go home smelling like beer.

Some bronies are a little off, some are a little weird.
Its the same as star trek
Star wars
And any other fanbase in the world. Only this one was oringinally created for girls. They ended up orienting the show more around the male fanbase too, throwing in lots of jokes and listening to the brony community for episode ideas and little 'inside jokes' in the show. Its fun.

There is one episode that i enjoy so much that im at the end of my chair hooting and hollaring because it just makes me excited. Reminds me back when i was 10 and saw Pokemon for the first time. Ahhh, nostalgia.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by yuppa

But every following has the crazies. Unfortunately if it isn't sports, it is considered weird. (I have a beef with that)
A guy can paint himself like a savage, shake his stomach and wear a huge fro, and that is ok (don't forget that fan is short for fanatic) but if it is Star Wars or a cartoon, they are losers.

Really, who is manlier than a Klingon?

edit on 17-8-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by yuppa

Originally posted by Merriman Weir

Interesting take on it. I wonder if the conspiracy extends to both sides of the aisle. It bet you are on to something. lets check google. I have a listing,and guess who is on the list? Goldman sachs.

stockzoa.com...

And heres something interesting. Hasbro will not release their sales figures.

online.wsj.com...

This keeps getting more interesting.

I'm genuinely surprised this wasn't your first take on it. Hasbro are one of the biggest toy makers in the world. They really, really don't care who buys their product.

Also, it's not a case of feminising anybody. The real issue, if there is one, would be the infantilising of adults of whatever sex/gender. Kidulthood is replacing adulthood. People in their 20s, 30s &c now will never really truly grow-up in the way their parents did.* Society and capitalist consumerism won't allow it. Whilst children are being 'adultised', sexualised and so on, at the other end of the scale, adults are now encouraged to be eternal Peter Pan figures: with games, comics, toys, films, internet culture &c. There's no real expected time or sense of when is appropriate to move on from these things. I'm not saying that people should or shouldn't, just that, in the past, society has created the point where people put away 'childish things'.

No generation has ever really faced this kind of cultural pressure before. It's breaking down and redefining roles in society between genders, between ages. It's interesting as to where this is all going to go. I doubt it will be pleasant though.

*world-wide economic collapse not withstanding

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I enjoy being a child at heart.
I never do want to grow up, not in this society. This society is beyond retarded in my eyes. Its almost like watching a bunch of escaped crazies running the world.

=P, I warn all the younger people i talk to. To not 'grow up' so fast. Because it sucks. Especially in this economy.

"Go to school to get a good job"
*Goes to school to get a good job. Has a sub-par job and is still poor. And no one is hiring without 5 years experience.*
And the kicker. No where to get that 5 years experience in my field. Haha. And i chose a GOOD FIELD to go into.

Thats why i'll hold on to my inner child forever. And enjoy every minute of it.

Im 24 and i still chase my girlfriend around the apartment and we horseplay like we're 5. ;P
edit on 17/8/12 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

edit on 17/8/12 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Oh... Now don't go dragging Star Wars into a My Little Pony debate... that's just uncalled for!

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
FEMINIZING you would entail blood and razors.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

YOu don't see a mother telling her son to stop being a cry baby, or telling him they are a pansy.

Actually my wife says those things to our son anytime he is acting like a pansy or being a cry baby....as do I. If she and I both didn't then he would get made fun of a lot more because he is afraid of many things other boys his age are not. If kids don't fit the "manly" image then yes, they will get made fun of. My daughter is more "rough and tumble" than most boys I have met at her age. And yes, I encourage that as well.....life is hard and babying a child is not the way to teach them how the world works.

Sure anyone can baby their child, but don't complain when that kid grows up to be stepped on and never stand up for themselves because you have always told them the others were just being mean and they are great no matter what.

A false sense of security is much worse than learning a lesson.....Kids should not be sheltered as much and should be able to make choices.

As for the Brony thing....ridiculous. I have watched the show numerous times with my daughter and can say that there is no part of me that wants to sit down when she isn't here and watch the show myself. It's simply a cartoon made to teach kids some lessons.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join