It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court to consider Ten Commandments displays (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   
The Supreme Court said Tuesday it will take up the constitutionality of Ten Commandments displays on government land and buildings, a surprise announcement that puts justices in the middle of a politically sensitive issue.

www.cnn.com
Justices have repeatedly refused to revisit issues raised by their 1980 decision that banned the posting of copies of the Ten Commandments in public school classrooms.

In the meantime, lower courts have reached a hodgepodge of conflicting rulings that allow displays in some instances but not in others.

The Ten Commandments contain both religious and secular directives, including the familiar proscriptions on stealing, killing and adultery. The Bible says God gave the list to Moses.

The Constitution bars any state "establishment" of religion. That means the government cannot promote religion in general, or favor one faith over another.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The Ten Commandments contain both religious and secular directives, including the familiar proscriptions on stealing, killing and adultery. The Bible says God gave the list to Moses.

In the meantime, lower courts have reached a hodgepodge of conflicting rulings that allow displays in some instances but not in others.

The high court will hear an appeal early next year involving displays in Kentucky and Texas.

In Texas, Justices will decide if a monument of containing the 10 commandments will comedown. In Kentucky, there are two counties which have framed copies of the commandments hanging in the courthouses, a lower court barred such documents being allowed in the court room.

[edit on 12-10-2004 by elevatedone]

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 01:29 AM
link   
This is going to be a clear test of the separation of church and state. Its funny who all this talk about activist judges stops when they are ruling in favor of ultra right religious views eh?

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Anyone ever consider that IF they voted it can not be displyed in Government Buildings, that the Supreme Court will need to be TORN down?

Look our nation was founded on the Judeo-Christian life, but with the ability to tolerate ALL religions

To hear the non-Christians say it......

It would be ALL non-Christian religions....

Big Difference.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Most of the socalled Ten Commandments placed into the mouth of YHWH the clan god of the ancient post Exilic Israelites were borrowed during the time of Ezra's reforms having been taken from the so-called 47 negative confessions plastered over graves of the rich in Egypt ("I have never stolen..I have never committed Adultery...I have never borne false witness, I have never stolen...) and are also part of the (1756 BC) Hammurabi Law Codes of Babylon (where Shamash the SunGod and Marduk give the Tablets of the Law to Hammurabi, on top of, significantly, a high mountain----500 years before the Israelites came up with the idea of "Mosheh")

Sound familiar? Read Pritchard's ANET (Ancient Near Eastern Texts) if you have any doubts about this from archaeology..

Even if these silly tribal laws were stolen, or more politely, adapted, from pagan goyim foreign gentile nations such as Egypt, Assyria, Babylon or Persia (most of which are common to most ancient cultures that were older and far more sophisticated than the tiny kingdoms of "Israel" and "Judah" ever were, and all of whom had occupied and conquored Israel at one time or another), some of the so called TEN COMMANDMENTS are not exactly secular:

"I AM YHWH WHO LED YOU OUT OF EGYPT: YOU SHALL NOT HAVE ANY GODS BEFORE MY FACES"

or "YOU WILL NOT TAKE YHWH YOUR CLAN-GOD'S NAME IN VAIN"

or "HOLD FAST TO THE SABBATH DAY, AND KEEP IT HOLY.."

First of all, YHWH aint my clan god, and secondly, he never took me out of bondage in Egypt, neither did he for 99.99999% of the population of the US either.....

I cannot see how any of this tribal nonsense (which may have worked 2500 years ago to mixed Cannanite nomadic sheep herders who like to make Golden Calves out of spare earings, or stick Bronze Jebusite Snake Idols on Poles and stuff) applies to the 21st century Democracies who are supposed to keep a separation between Church and State...

Putting up such superstitious tribal Levetical mumbo jumbo on a US Government Building is the REAL Abomination here (who is supposed to show NO partiality to any clan god, least of all the vicious clan god of Israel who wants to exterminate the Amalekites and wants all the Girgi#es dead)...

top topics

join