It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wind Farm Gets US Approval Despite Controversy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

So.. to stop using coal (most popular in America) we will replace one coal plant sitting on 10 acres with 10,000 wind turbines sitting on several thousand acres (chewing up birds by the thousands).

Wind farms don't need to be placed on land, the best place for them actually is out in the ocean.... Oh and that whole thing about them messing with birds is mostly a myth. Birds fly over them once they notice they are there.

Source

There are PLENTY of other sources and studies which show that the bird mortality rate for these farms is hardly anything to worry about in the long run.

Studies (here, here and here) of windfarms built in California and Spain in the 1980s have shown an "excessive" number of fatalities among six raptor species, including eagles and vultures. The evidence suggests that poor planning and outmoded turbine design was largely responsible and the current thinking is that fewer, but much large turbines sited away from known migratory paths of birds can significantly decrease the risk of bird strikes.

Source

I'm amazed at how far people go to burry their heads in the sand. The idea is great, the practicality is horrendous. The only reason people like you still support it is that your have some preconceived notion that by supporting it regardless of practicality, efficiency or pollution levels you support something "good."

Interesting that you would attack my character when I made no actual argument for what you describe above.

This in turn gives you a nice self satisfactory smile whenever someone speaks out against it because you feel you have some moral superiority over those "fossile fuel supporters."

More character attacks for no reason. Actually my opinion of wind farms is based on research and facts in their ability to produce energy at good rates, without very much environmental impact, when done correctly and in the right locations.

Please provide some facts instead of attempting of making assumptions as to why I support one thing or another.

~Tenth

edit on 8/17/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I dunno.. There is a huge wind farm where I hunt.. The "pristine" state of things seems pretty much unaffected. Plus ugly is a matter of opinion.. I personally think they are pretty darn neat.

Funny story though. When they first put the windmills in it was finished right about hunting season.. Every hunter on the mountain was searching for the animals (especially the elk herd).. Well turns out that first year they were all hanging out by the windmills just staring up at them... I assume they were wondering WTF these massive turning spinney things were.. Of course they disbursed after the shooting started... obviously.

Anyway they are a pretty decent alternative depending on how much area we are talking about powering.. They seem to work pretty well for small communities. And especially (even though this wouldn't be a commercial application) when used on a single individual home.

know several people all but completely off the grid thanks to a windmill and the unwavering wyoming winds...

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
I hope they do good. The ones around here have been a major waste of money. It will take like 30 years just to have them pay for themselves. And it is windy as hell here.

This is the one of arguments I most hate... because it's not about the money. It's about not using coal and fuel to make energy.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!wind farm rely on fossil fuel and coal regardless once in operation for the downfall of the wind as that can not be controlled.

So when the wind is not blowing, guess what is the alternative to it either that or you will have to stay without electricity until the wind starts to blow your way.

Get informed people wind farms still depend on subsidies to operate

Coal and Fossil fuel.

Savings my butt, but I know who will profit from the tax payers.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Just another case of the Schizophrenic tree huggers

They want alternative energy like wind and solar but do everything they can to stop any projects

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

edit on 17-8-2012 by ANNED because: DP

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I've seen the dead birds with my own eyes.

Last spring we camped at the Pipestone national park near the Buffalo Ridge windfarm.

We took the kids to see them up close and found a dead owl and a dead pelican in the hour we were there.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic

As have I.

I never asserted that it wasn't happening, I'm asserting that the overall numbers don't effect bird or other wildlife population by any significant amount if done properly.

As the studies have shown. I can't speak to shoddy workmanship.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Just like big pharma and any other corporate run enterprise statistics and numbers are bought and pay for.

Plain and simple.

Also is various problems with the noise pollution and still it doesn't do anything to save from fossil fuel as the wind farms are Dependant of the same things that they are suppose to replace.

Lies, deception and deceiving the population for money tax payer included.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Here's the truth about this particular find farm to the best of my knowledge and I have been following this for a long time. The good, the bad and the truth in no particular order. No power plants will be shut down, slowed down or scaled back. Windmills will not be visible from land. Windmills made out of the country (Germany I think). Very few local jobs will be created. 150 full time permanent jobs is a flat out lie unless 148 of them are administrative or they are planning to man each windmill. Towers will contain lubrication oil and have an offshore storage facility (cause we know how well oil and water mix). Residents electricity prices are expected to double within 3 years of construction, even though electricity is not going to the area where the farm is located (going to Boston). Homeowners in the area have been forced into paying for high priced insurance plans due to the "great" possibility of a bad hurricane hitting the area. Everything on the water is 3 times more expensive than on land (maintenance, construction). Jhon Kerrys family owns uninhabited land within a few miles of this location, if this were expected to be profitable think the might want to build them there ? Cape Cod is not the Hamptons (yet) many fishing families and average joes. Fishing areas will be closed and at least during construction the waters and fishing will be effected. There is no decommission plan in place, in other words if a windmill breaks its perfectly legal for it to ba abandoned. Hard to get and expensive insurance along with high utility bills does effect real estate prices (except for those section 8ers in Hyannis).

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Pirateofpsychonautics

Biggest opponent of this ... The Kennedys, it will interfere with their sailing. I guess Democrats are only for green energy when it doesn't impact their high end lifestyle. Of course if they brought up any of the actual concerns rather than making up lies I would maybe have some respect for them.
edit on 19-8-2012 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join