It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree (Musical Genius)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Great to see a music scetion here on ATS! decided to show you guys my favourite artist

His name is Steven Wilson and his band Porcupine Tree. As far as whole albums go porcupine tree are up to about 11 or so albums, with Bsides, Live albums, E.P's, DVD's, Vinyl Records and many other releases which add up to hundreds of hours worth of material on their own!

Steven also has Two solo albums (curently working on a third) and an aditional back catalogue of solo work. He is also in other bands such as "Blackfield" (3 albums + Dvd at least) has just released a colabourative album with "Opeth's" Mikael Akerfeldt
called "Storm Corrosion" His band No-Man also has 6 album + more in their catalogue

look to be honest it would take me forever to mention everything he's done amd i'm sure i'd still leave something out. but his work in the studio is UN MATCHED BY ANYONE! which is probably why bands like "King Crimson" and "Jethro Tull" are having him mix and re-release some of their work.

if you haven't heard his work it ranges from Pop to Metal to Pshychadelia and Progression, do a bit of research and i'm sure you will find something that strikes a chord with you! so for now i'll leave you with my favourite song to a beutiful video done by a fan. please post your favourite Steven stuff here Whatever it may be! share accounts of live concerts you went to, anything at all!

Love, Light, and all that crap....

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Fixed your vid. When posting a youtube video on here you just want to copy everything after the v=.

I have to say I love me some Steven Wilson. I definitely rate him as one of the top musicians out there these days along with Arjen Lucassen, Daniel Gildenlow, and Devin Townsend. I actually have a thread on here devoted to Storm Corrosion. I'm sure I'll post some videos in here in a bit.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
excellent thanks for the tip mate! yeah gotta love lucassen "ayreon" is amazing! also always loved everything Heavy Devi has ever done, his new song tho is not so much my taste, as for Daniel Gildenlow i was lucky enough to see "Pain Of Salvation" in Brisbane when they opend for "Dream Theater" on the "Black Clouds and Silver Linings Tour" and we were BLOWN. I wasn't a huge fan at the time but had my fave tracks, and when he said "Disco Queen" my wife my friends and I ERUPTED (we had traveld from the other side of the state for the concert) at this point Daniel pointed at us and says "You Guys know it..." which I think he appreciated as for the rest of their performance the crowd was making virtually NO noise for em. BUT SERIOUSLY, WHAT A TALLENT!

Hell let's open the thrad a bit to anyone with similar music taste as anyone along these lines knows everything is kinda linked... WHICH IS AWESOME!

here's some more Steven Wilson Performing the Porcupine Tree song "Lazarus" with "Dream Theater" keyboadist Jordan Rudess:

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by blazingdefiance

If you go a searching in the depths of my threads, I started a prog rock thread a few years ago. Screwed it all up at the start but it never really took off. Some good stuff in there though.

That being said, PT are like Led Zeppelin to me. Great rhythm section but the rest lacks. The songwriting lacks, IMO, but I'm a snob so don't take my opinion as anything other than that. I did even make the effort to try and dig these guys but I just couldn't force myself to like music that bored me. I saw them live in Phoenix back in '06 and left early.

I couldn't force myself to like the sonic tripe that is Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime:2 either(the original is brilliant, not even close the second time around) so it is what it is.

Just not my cuppa. I dig Opeth, however, and he worked with them. Go figure that. Saw them a couple of months ago. Cool show but I hate the House of Blues, the band would sound better playing in my cat's litterbox. Horrible, I tells ya.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoony

If you go a searching in the depths of my threads, I started a prog rock thread a few years ago. Screwed it all up at the start but it never really took off. Some good stuff in there though.

That being said, PT are like Led Zeppelin to me. Great rhythm section but the rest lacks. The songwriting lacks, IMO, but I'm a snob so don't take my opinion as anything other than that. I did even make the effort to try and dig these guys but I just couldn't force myself to like music that bored me. I saw them live in Phoenix back in '06 and left early.

I couldn't force myself to like the sonic tripe that is Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime:2 either(the original is brilliant, not even close the second time around) so it is what it is.

Just not my cuppa. I dig Opeth, however, and he worked with them. Go figure that. Saw them a couple of months ago. Cool show but I hate the House of Blues, the band would sound better playing in my cat's litterbox. Horrible, I tells ya.

WOW your a lucky fella! we get Next to nothing wherei live, and y have to go to the other end of the state to get ANYTHING! yeah can't say I dog Queensryche that much, esecially after they payed out on Dream Theater.

Also the Venue can make a MASSIVE difference to your live experience of any band, not to mention the people doin front of house etc.

Also Give that "Dark Matter" track a go, if that doesn't get ya, I don't know what will

Love, Light, and all that crap....

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Porcupine Tree, Yes! The best band you've never heard of. I play their stuff on internet jukeboxes any time I'm out and people love it.

edit on 17-8-2012 by tanda7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Huh. Didn't work. I was bored for eight minutes. Pt's songs seem to start, then go nowhere, and that's a prime example of a song where nothing happens. Like the last half of that Arriving tune(can't remember the whole title) it just goes on and on and nothing happens.

I'll just never dig them.Not unlike The Flower Kings. All the proggers said I'd have to check them out. Great musicians, boring thirty minute songs. I can dig long songs, but not long and boring which is everything TFK have ever done.

I'm done bashing PT now. I'll just hang in the corner and listen to some Spock's Beard, maybe some Black Country Communion. Been digging them lately and SB is always great. I'll put on the headphones so as not to bother anyone.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Huh. Didn't work. I was bored for eight minutes. Pt's songs seem to start, then go nowhere, and that's a prime example of a song where nothing happens. Like the last half of that Arriving tune(can't remember the whole title) it just goes on and on and nothing happens.

I'll just never dig them.Not unlike The Flower Kings. All the proggers said I'd have to check them out. Great musicians, boring thirty minute songs. I can dig long songs, but not long and boring which is everything TFK have ever done.

I'm done bashing PT now. I'll just hang in the corner and listen to some Spock's Beard, maybe some Black Country Communion. Been digging them lately and SB is always great. I'll put on the headphones so as not to bother anyone.

Really? you got nothing from the guitar solo towards the end? fair enough each to his own

and I must say I do agree with you in regards to "The flower kings" never really grabbed me, and yeah I have to say that "arriving somwhere, but not here" is not one of my favourites.

Hey man don't plug in the headphones, SPOCKS BEARD RULES!

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by tanda7
Porcupine Tree, Yes! The best band you've never heard of. I play their stuff on internet jukeboxes any time I'm out and people love it.

HOW GOOD IS THAT LIVE DVD?!!!! 16 tracks of pure awesomeness

and the "Anesthetize" DVD is just as good! had to bust out for the 4 vinyl special edition of that one!

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by blazingdefiance

HOW GOOD IS THAT LIVE DVD?!!!! 16 tracks of pure awesomeness

and the "Anesthetize" DVD is just as good! had to bust out for the 4 vinyl special edition of that one!

I haven't actually seen the DVD, but I have seen most of it on Ytube. I listened to this band quite a lot when I first discovered them and have spread the love far and wide. It's pretty amazing that they have received so little acclaim.

I have thought about this some and have concluded that there is some element missing. Don't get me wrong, I recognize the raw talent and nuance they deliver, but....

Most of the hard rock enthusiast I know don't get it. And even I feel like they are missing some element that is holding them back. This may be a reach, but they almost have the flavor of a christian rock band.

When I think of all the music of this genre that I love, I find that most of them have a very rebellious, sometimes chaotic tone. Defiant and aggressive maybe? But PT seem to be the "nice kids" band.

Do you have any info on their religious leanings? They are all very accomplished musicians but it's as if they have never been naughty. If that makes any sense. They come across as non drinkers, non smokers, non drugers and after all, where would hard rock be without women, booze and dope? I can picture them back stage, enjoying their bottled water and exercising before a show. And skipping the after party because their wives are sleepy and their babies need changing.

However, when I play their music in a crowded bar here in New Orleans, some people always wander over to the jukebox to find out who is playing and the crowd response is always positive. In the places that I frequent, I am often asked take up a collection and play the jukebox because I usually can come up with songs that people have never heard but enjoy listening to. This can be difficult because most people would rather hear something they have already heard a hundred times as opposed to hearing something new.

I did not know about their other projects and I am currently checking out the acts mentioned in the post above, so there you go, I've once again learned something valuable on ats. Please feel free to recommend more like this for me to wow my friends with.

edit on 18-8-2012 by tanda7 because: remove vid

edit on 18-8-2012 by tanda7 because: rewording

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

I could not agree more about Queensryche. When I first heard them I had really high hopes but was disappointed every time they put out something new. It just got worse until I lost all hope for them, they never redeemed themselves.
I also enjoy Opeth. But I find the girls I know hate it. (hanging out with the wrong girls maybe?) I live in the French Quarter of New Orleans and entertain at my home quite a bit,and the girls around here like to dance so finding music to play that everyone enjoys is important to me. But as far as what I listen to when alone, Opeth has a depth that allows me to rediscover them every time I listen. I have also enjoyed Dream Theater, Machine Head, and one of my all time favorites Fields of the Nephilim.

Speaking of Fields, Is that a photo of Carl McCoy in your mini profile photo? I used to say, if I meet a girl who loves Fields, I'll marry her. Lo and behold, I found a girl who loves it and her last name is McCoy, been together for 13 years now.
edit on 18-8-2012 by tanda7 because: spelling

edit on 18-8-2012 by tanda7 because: (no reason given)

Nope not Carl McCoy, the clues in your mini helped me figure it out; Manos: Hands of Fate.
Link to Carl McCoy photo,
pushtofire.files.wordpress.com...

edit on 18-8-2012 by tanda7 because: stuff added

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   

I could not agree more about Queensryche. When I first heard them I had really high hopes but was disappointed every time they put out something new. It just got worse until I lost all hope for them, they never redeemed themselves.
I also enjoy Opeth. But I find the girls I know hate it. (hanging out with the wrong girls maybe?) I live in the French Quarter of New Orleans and entertain at my home quite a bit,and the girls around here like to dance so finding music to play that everyone enjoys is important to me. But as far as what I listen to when alone, Opeth has a depth that allows me to rediscover them every time I listen. I have also enjoyed Dream Theater, Machine Head, and one of my all time favorites Fields of the Nephilim.

Speaking of Fields, Is that a photo of Carl McCoy in your mini profile photo? I used to say, if I meet a girl who loves Fields, I'll marry her. Lo and behold, I found a girl who loves it and her last name is McCoy, been together for 13 years now.
edit on 18-8-2012 by tanda7 because: spelling

Nope not Carl McCoy, the clues in your mini helped me figure it out; Manos: Hands of Fate.
Link to Carl McCoy photo,
pushtofire.files.wordpress.com...

edit on 18-8-2012 by tanda7 because: stuff added

yeah possibly hanging out with the wrong crowd, my wife says the day i showed her opeth was the day she fell in love with me

HMMM... that's a good question, they don't talk about religious stuff much, I think they prefer to keep that stuff to themselves (which in my opinion is how it should be) as for their drug habits, check out their earlier work the entire album "voyage 34" is based around a young man's 34th experience on '___'. REALLY COOL! In fact here is the first part

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   

One of my favorites at the moment.
My Ashes.
John Wesley on Guitar and Vocals really adds something.

new topics

top topics

join