It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5Th Nuclear Plant Shuts Down

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

5Th Nuclear Plant Shuts Down

therealthingmin.webs.com

5 U.S. Nuclear Reactors Shutdown in Past 3 Days - Various Issues; NRC Claims "Coincidental" 1. Minnesota - Prairie Island - Shutdown Aug. 14 2. Minnesota - Monticello - Shutdown Aug. 14 3. Maryland - Calvert Cliffs - Shutdown Aug.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
What is the deal here? Really? Coincidental ? I'm working off my iPad, so forgive me. I'm trying to post more. Can anyone else help find the causes? Does this have anything to do with all the quakes, or maybe something's happening that's not been disclosed yet. I did not see this posted yet, if so, Mods please 404 it. Thanks guys!

therealthingmin.webs.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
From what I've gathered at least one was a routine shutdown for maintenance and the others:

Two nuclear power reactors in Minnesota were shut down on Tuesday for emergency repairs, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune. Xcel Energy explained that the Monticello and Prairie Island nuclear power plants were both forced to close down, the first after the discovery of a leaking pipe within the plant's containment unit and the second after the failure of the plant's backup diesel engines.

Source

~Heff

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
It's not good guys. For years we've been warned that some of these plants are aging quickly, so the threat of a disaster increases rapidly as the years go on. One major disaster could damage our ecosystem severely right here in our very own back yard.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Very interesting OP. Thanks for the info. Many of these plants are pretty old. Heck would you buy a car that old? These are old tech. I wonder how many of these plants have been refurbished? I am sure they receive constant maintenance and upgrades. But then again I have no info to back up that statement.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Yeah have heard the US reactors,and most other developed countries' nuclear equipment are 50-60's type stuff....not an expert on this type of thing but surely something,which to be fair when it runs it produces good energy vs coal if i remember reading that correctly,which can be so dangerous and devastating when it goes wrong should be cutting edge technology...stop spending money on space programs and sort out the stuff on the ground that could destroy life as we know it,only when that is 100% sound and safe should other high tech projects be undertaken!

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
And why have 3 refinereys been having issues$$$$$$$$$$$ At least it's cooling off so they can't really screw us

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I just don't buy it..I mean, can anybody think of a time when 5 reactors have been shut down at the same time? I think something smells here, not necessarily a conspiracy, just very odd.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Vinny5036

This one is allegedly due to high temp of sea water

Warm seawater forces Conn. nuclear plant shutdown

www.wnem.com...

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) - Connecticut's nuclear power plant shut one of two units on Sunday because seawater used to cool down the plant is too warm.

Unit 2 of Millstone Power Station has occasionally shut for maintenance or other issues, but in its 37-year history it has never gone down due to excessively warm water, spokesman Ken Holt said on Monday.

(Continued at link)
also this including remark

Richmond, Va.-based Dominion, which operates Millstone, does not have an estimate of when the unit will restart

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

The Monticello nuclear power plant and one of two units at the Prairie Island nuclear plant were shut Tuesday, Aug. 14, for repairs after unrelated leaks were discovered, Xcel Energy reported.

None of the leaks resulted in a release of radiation or posed a danger to plant employees or the public, the utility said.

Operators shut the Monticello plant to repair a gasket on a pipe flange and shut Unit 1 at Prairie Island to repair two diesel generators. Both are expected to be down for at least a couple of days, Xcel Energy spokesman Tom Hoen said.

The utility said the Monticello reactor had been operating at 10 percent power since the weekend, as workers investigated a leak at a collection point inside the plant's steel and steel-reinforced concrete containment structure. None of the water that leaked escaped, according to Hoen.

Xcel Energy said an investigation determined a gasket on a pipe flange had to be fixed.

www.twincities.com...

and then...

At Prairie Island near Red Wing, operators determined during testing that both Unit 1 emergency diesel generators had exhaust leaks, according to Xcel. It said the plant has other layers of backup protection, including diesel generators, turbine-driven pumps and portable pumps.

Hoen conceded it's unusual for units at both plants to be shut for problems at the same time.

When a generating unit is out of action, the utility said, it buys electricity from the Midwest Independent Transmission System Operator or other utilities or boosts
production at other generating plants to ensure an adequate power supply.

It's all good in Minnesota...

I wonder how many portable pumps they have readily available... I'm sure they have all the diesel needed to run those generators. They just have to call up their buddies over at Koch, bing badda boom.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Calvert Cliffs nuclear reactor shut down

articles.baltimoresun.com... up

Another added to the list

August 13, 2012|By Timothy B. Wheeler, The Baltimore Sun

Operators of the Calvert Cliffs nuclear power plant in Southern Maryland have shut down one of the two reactors there because a control rod unexpectedly dropped into the reactor core, causing a reduction in power generation, a plant spokesman said Monday.

The incident happened Sunday afternoon, prompting the plant's staff to shut the reactor down to find and fix the cause of the malfunction, according to Kory Raftery, spokesman for Constellation Energy Nuclear Group. Control rods are used in a reactor to limit the fission taking place among the reactor's enriched-uranium fuel rods.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Operators of the Calvert Cliffs nuclear power plant in Southern Maryland have shut down one of the two reactors there because a control rod unexpectedly dropped into the reactor core, causing a reduction in power generation, a plant spokesman said Monday.

The incident happened Sunday afternoon, prompting the plant's staff to shut the reactor down to find and fix the cause of the malfunction, according to Kory Raftery, spokesman for Constellation Energy Nuclear Group. Control rods are used in a reactor to limit the fission taking place among the reactor's enriched-uranium fuel rods.

www.twincities.com...

more...

An unplanned insertion of a control rod into a reactor core can "create an imbalance in the fissioning and pose challenges for reactor operators," according to Neil Sheehan, a spokesman for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. He described it as an infrequent occurrence among U.S. nuclear plants.

The plant spokesman said there was no risk to the public from the control-rod problem, noting the plant's redundant safety systems. But he said that "the safe and prudent decision was to shut the unit down" until inspections and maintenance could be performed.

Raftery could not predict when Unit 1 would be back in operation, but noted that Unit 2 is still running at full power at the plant, which is 70 miles south of Baltimore.

"We'll get back up to 100 percent and connected to the grid as soon as safely possible," he said.

It's the third unplanned shutdown of Unit 1 in the past month; the reactor was taken out of service twice in July to fix a pair of leaks, according to Raftery.

At least they're shutting these things down and addressing the problems. It somewhat reminds of the Minnesota bridge collapse, and all that hubbub about the nations infrastructure, especially in regards to bridges. This time, it seems as if they are trying to prevent disasters such as the 35W bridge collapse.

Funny story... I used the collapse of the bridge to get out of going on a date with a girl that I wasn't interested in. There was absolutely no cell phone service for a while, and authorities had asked that people try to use their phones less. So, in good fashion, I decided to answer their call(pun intended) and not make the call!

She saw right through the tactic lol. We're still friends, and she gives me crap about it every chance she gets!

Anyways... I don't see a conspiracy here. Although it may be impossible to convince some people.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by FractalChaos13242017

The Monticello nuclear power plant and one of two units at the Prairie Island nuclear plant were shut Tuesday, Aug. 14, for repairs after unrelated leaks were discovered, Xcel Energy reported.

None of the leaks resulted in a release of radiation or posed a danger to plant employees or the public, the utility said.

Operators shut the Monticello plant to repair a gasket on a pipe flange and shut Unit 1 at Prairie Island to repair two diesel generators. Both are expected to be down for at least a couple of days, Xcel Energy spokesman Tom Hoen said.

The utility said the Monticello reactor had been operating at 10 percent power since the weekend, as workers investigated a leak at a collection point inside the plant's steel and steel-reinforced concrete containment structure. None of the water that leaked escaped, according to Hoen.

Xcel Energy said an investigation determined a gasket on a pipe flange had to be fixed.

www.twincities.com...

and then...

At Prairie Island near Red Wing, operators determined during testing that both Unit 1 emergency diesel generators had exhaust leaks, according to Xcel. It said the plant has other layers of backup protection, including diesel generators, turbine-driven pumps and portable pumps.

Hoen conceded it's unusual for units at both plants to be shut for problems at the same time.

When a generating unit is out of action, the utility said, it buys electricity from the Midwest Independent Transmission System Operator or other utilities or boosts
production at other generating plants to ensure an adequate power supply.

It's all good in Minnesota...

I wonder how many portable pumps they have readily available... I'm sure they have all the diesel needed to run those generators. They just have to call up their buddies over at Koch, bing badda boom.

The problem is very worrisome to officials as 2 backup generators failing ay the same time is a major
safety hazard.

According to Xcel Energy, operators at the Prairie Island Nuclear Generating Plant, in Minnesota, were forced to shut down one of two nuclear reactors early Tuesday morning when two diesel generators were determined to be inoperable during a monthly test. The unit is being shut down until the generators can be repaired. These generators are part of the safety systems in place to help maintain plant function in the event of a loss of offsite electricity.

"To have not just one, but both of the back-up diesel generators fail is very troubling,” said Johnny Johnson, tribal council president of the Prairie Island Indian Community, in a press statement.

www.examiner.com...

"A failure of the back-up diesel generators can affect all other safety features that rely on the electricity that they generate. The failure of both of them during a routine monthly test is simply not acceptable. "In fact, over the past couple of years, there have been more than 30 reported incidents like failing equipment, security breaches, human performance problems and operating errors. Just last summer, Xcel experienced problems when back-up generators were simply declared inoperable due to high external air temperatures. Today, however, the generators actually failed while operating during a monthly test."

www.examiner.com...
edit on 16-8-2012 by azureskys because: added more information

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Vinny5036

Van Buren County Nuclear Plant Shuts Down Again Palisades Has Now Been Removed From Service 5 Times In The Past 11 Months

Carl Gustin FOX 17 Assignment Editor 9:45 a.m. EDT, August 12, 2012 COVERT, Mich.— The Palisades Nuclear Plant in Van Buren County has been shut down again. Plant spokesman Mark Savage announced Sunday morning that earlier Sunday Palisades control room operators had removed the plant from service to repair a minor cooling water leak inside Palisades' containment building.

www.fox17online.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Belgium Suspends Nuclear Plant Operation

8/14/2012 3:56 AM ET
(RTTNews) - A nuclear power plant in Belgium has been ordered to suspend operation until it was ensured that the containment vessel is intact and developed no cracks.

The Federal Agency for Nuclear Control (FANC) said on Monday that it would shut down the No.3 reactor at the Doel nuclear power plant, located about 20 kilometers north of Antwerp, by the end of this month.

The country's nuclear regulator issued the suspension order after anomalies, including possible cracks, were found during annual maintenance work that began in June last.

www.rttnews.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Not very comforting when things 'unexpectedly' happen at nuclear power plants.

I wish I didn't live so close to so many of them.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Nukewatch info pdf "short news" that blows away the propaganda in the corporate newspapers

Nuclear Sub Burns at Portsmouth - another pdf link

I got arrested in 1994 protesting against nuke waste cask storage on the Mississippi river at Prairie Island. These nuke plants routinely leak radiation that's carcinogenic. My dad was the assistant attorney general of Minnesota under Doug Head in the 1960s and then he went private and he was hired by the nuclear industry in Minnesota. The state of MN wanted to regulate the radiation releases of nuclear plants at a stricter level then federal standards. It was a big precedent setting case nation wide -- the U.S. won since nuke plants are considered military. I went to Puerto Rico when I was 2 months old as my dad took our family on holiday in celebration after the case was won.

It's not "all good" at these nuke plants -- the news doesn't report the truth.

I remember I was being arrested for protesting against the Iraq War and this was 1998 -- and the news cameras were being set up as we were standing in hand cuffs. The sheriff rolls up -- this is downtown Minneapolis and the sheriff walks over to the news reporters and talks to them and the news crew reverses what they just did, before taking any camera video -- just closes up operation and leaves.

So much for real news reporting.

The Prairie Island Indians reported a huge white cloud released at the Prairie Island plant. They have higher cancer rates on Praire Island.
Here's a good documentary from the Prairie Island Coalition on the Prairie Island Nukes.
edit on 16-8-2012 by fulllotusqigong because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Check this out. It is not today's news but it pertains to the nucelear problem the residents have
all ready had since at least 1997.

Sample :

radioactive barrels sitting on a loose concrete slab there, and the nuke

hanksville.net...
and source from here:
www.kstrom.net...

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyguy2012

yes i would buy an oldcar they dont have computers or gps tracking buy more of them. technology has become a problem

edit on 17-8-2012 by chapterhouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
looks to me as TPTB are expecting a deluge as well =/

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join