It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War On The Poor Continues As obama Seeks To Increas The Prices Of Beef

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Campaigning in Missouri Valley, Iowa, yesterday, President Obama announced yet another government spending program -- this time designed to inflate meat prices in Midwest swing states. "Today the Department of Agriculture announced that it will buy up to $100 million worth of pork products, $50 million worth of chicken, and $20 million worth of lamb and farm-raised catfish,"

Obama explained to reporters in front of a drought-stricken cornfield. "Prices are low, farmers and ranchers need help, so it makes sense," Obama explained. "It makes sense for farmers who get to sell more of their product, and it makes sense for taxpayers who will save money because we're getting food we would have bought anyway at a better price."

None of this makes sense. In fact, Obama's move only harms American consumers while protecting a corrupt federal program

washingtonexaminer.com...

The reason why I say it's called war on the poor because I get the feeling that the only thing this will do is raise prices even more. It will raise prices so much that most people won't be able to afford it.

So why is he really doing this? I wish I knew. I really wish he'd work harder to give poor people a break, in well, just about everything.

I'd love to see gas prices go down to $3.50 and meat prices to go below two dollars a pound.

But alas obama doesn't care about the poor people. None of them do. That's why I have absolutely zero faith in government anymore.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
What an awesome non biased
source you got there . That Obama,
he's so sneaky planning false flags, secretly
engaging in a Muslim Brotherhood takeover,
and now raising beef prices? Where does he find the time?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I though Obama gave everything to the poor for free for votes, now he is at war with them? I do not know what is worse the title or the poory written crappy source.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Actually yes he is trying to raise the price of Beef but not in the way you think. The first problem is no Farm Bill. The second problem is the drought which is forcing farmers to send livestock off to slaughter before they are ready. Having to do this will significantly hurt the farmers by putting more on the market than they normally would at this time. So in an effort to ease their losses he is doing this. He isn't doing it to hurt everyone else, he is doing it to help those that could lose enough money to lose their farms.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Actually the truly poor do not eat beef, they eat chicken or no meat. I know as i was raised poor, it was bean and potatoes and rice and more beans!

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
If you haven't seen the prices at the market as of lately you wouldn't know how damn high its gotten .

In a few years i wont be able to afford this crap.

edit on 7/30/2012 by dreamfox1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by KeliOnyx
Actually yes he is trying to raise the price of Beef but not in the way you think. The first problem is no Farm Bill. The second problem is the drought which is forcing farmers to send livestock off to slaughter before they are ready. Having to do this will significantly hurt the farmers by putting more on the market than they normally would at this time. So in an effort to ease their losses he is doing this. He isn't doing it to hurt everyone else, he is doing it to help those that could lose enough money to lose their farms.

Yup - I think you got it...and to add a little to it.

The drought will also have an impact further down the line. Less crops, less food for people and livestock. Sell the cattle now, let them starve later or go broke trying to buy food for them. No good options there.

Goodness knows I don't agree with much that Obama does - but I see why he's doing this.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
It's not Obama that's raising prices. It's Corporate avarice and the insatiable beast that is Wall Street - fighting to make returns for investors. It's like taking money out of your left pocket to put a smaller amount of it directly back into your right pocket... But whatever.

Beef prices in particular have been on the rise, and will continue to rise due to the drought. ( Or that's the excuse they're using. I remember this one time when it rained in New Orleans for a few days and we all got $5.00 gallon gas, basically ever since....)

~Heff
edit on 8/16/12 by Hefficide because: Missed an entire word... an entire word! Gettin' old n stuff

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
As long as he doesn't touch the price of lobster or caviar.

THAT'S where I draw the line!

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Hey All- I'm a livestock producer in one of these drought stricken states. This is a good thing, not a bad thing. Here's how it works: we're all out of feed, grain and hay prices have skyrocketed, forcing many of us to auction off cattle on the cash market. This flood is causing a crash in cash market prices, which not only impacts what we get now but also many forward contracts that are based on the cash market price at a certain date. The government is driving up demand buy buying up these products. This will keep smaller, family run operations afloat.

The government did this all the time with commodities. There was a floor price and a ceiling price, and they would buy and sell to keep prices from crashing and to keep food prices from going up to high. That is before the early 70's, when we changed to a subsidies model that has been horrible for small producers and wonderful for the big guys and corporate farms. This was back in the days when our government saw it fit to keep a strategic grain reserve. Personally, I think we aught to go back to this model

Hope this helps. Pray for rain!

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by cowboy762

Thank you for your insight.

Are you a small family farm? I'd be interested in your story competing with factory farms and big pharma. Perhaps you could start a thread about it.

Best wishes and Good luck.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Cowboy762, what is your thoughts on feed prices and the fact 40% + is being taken off market by ethanol production. Would feed prices then be back in line for beef and other meat producers if this were not so?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

The drought = Cattle feed prices have gove up..Ranchers are sending the cattle to market sooner and trimming back the number of cattle significantly.

Short term...meat prices drop as more cattle go to market, long term prices spike as there are less cattle and less ranchers next year.

The Gov. is looking to stabalize by buying that meat now...keeping those ranchers in business so prices won't skyrocket next year when there is significantly less meat and less ranchers.

I know it is a more complex thought than "Obama" = "War on poor"

But EVERYONE in the industry understands this.

More than half the counties in the U.S. have been declared natural disaster areas by the Department of Agriculture, and 69 percent of the Midwest last week had moderate to exceptional drought, government data show. The price of corn, the main ingredient in livestock feed, has surged 57 percent since mid- June, reaching an all-time high of $8.49 a bushel on Aug. 10 on the Chicago Board of Trade.

Livestock Producers

Cattle prices are falling as producers slaughter more animals to avoid the higher feed costs

www.businessweek.com...

BTW - This is money that would have been spent anyway. Food for troops. They are just buying in advance and will freeze it now eat it later

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Dam that Obama!

First he wants everyones elses money to go to the less fortunate. Now he wants to help farmers, subsequently charging poor ppl more for beef.
I wish he would make up his mind. Is he for helping the poor or hurting them? I heard obamacare makes pizza more expensive too!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Thank God it is beef. For a minute, I thought it said beer.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Thank God it is beef. For a minute, I thought it said beer.

Then I'd have to take to the streets, armed to teeth!

"You can # with my taxes and you can # with my rights but don't you ever....EVER....# with my beer"

-said by me
-just now

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

I will anxiously await an update as to how this maneuver helps you, specifically.

What the article cited by the OP seems to omit is that this is product the Department of Defense would have purchased anyway. Apparently. So, I have three questions:

1) If the purchases would have been made anyway, how magnanimous is the maneuver, really?

2) What impact will this $170 million really have on a $74 billion beef industry, a $97 billion pork industry, a $45 billion poultry industry and a $400 million catfish industry? (Couldn't find the figures for lamb)

3) How much of that $170 million will be doled out to the small, family farm and how much to the corporate farms?

Special interests come in many forms and they are all destroying this country.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I wrote a thread that pertains to this very subject, although it is looking at it from a slightly
different angle.

I got No responses at all and was very surprised and disappointed that no one cared.
although a few stared it and left no comment.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
Farm Bill Study: Junk Food Crops Get the Bulk of Federal Subsidies, page 1
edit on 16-8-2012 by azureskys because: added more information

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Obama believes in social justice, economic justice. That means not only a redistribution of wealth but a redistribution of cost.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Based on what?

And what is redistribution of costs?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join