It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South African Police open fire on protesting Miners.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Up to 18 miners, protesting over wages have been shot dead in South Africa. After 10 days of violent confrontations, where 2 policemen and 2 security guards have been killed. The police opened fired on the demonstarters

Police have been accused of a massacre after opening fire on mine workers in one of the deadliest days of protest in South Africa since the end of apartheid.

In scenes that evoked memories of some of the country's darkest days, national television showed pictures of police in helmets and body armour shooting at workers on Thursday amid shouting, panic and clouds of dust at Lonmin's Marikana platinum mine. After three minutes of gunfire, bodies littered the ground in pools of blood. It was claimed as many as 18 people may have been killed.

www.guardian.co.uk...

During the clashes, missiles - thought to be either petrol bombs or grenades - were thrown at police, who responded by opening fire, eyewitnesses said.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Sounds like the police have over reacted, but they have obviously been under attack themselves. I won't cast any judge ment until I know a little more about it.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
You beat me to it S+F

Very sad day for South Africa, this is a watershed moment here. Officially 7 dead, unofficially 18, although the video shows more than 7

WARNING: Graphic content: in.reuters.com... /2012/08/16/south-african-police-open-fire-on-striki?videoId=237100070&videoChannel=117460

WARNING: Graphic content: www.youtube.com...

2 policement were panga'd to death in the last week, as well as more than a few others. Deathtoll was already over 10 for the week this morning. A panga is a machete. Pangas and spears were the weapons of most of the strikers, but several reports included guns in the crowds. The police gave an order to disarm by 16h00 local, which was defied by the crowds, it began with tear grenades and rubber bullets, live rounds shortly after.It seems reasonable to suspect that the police had orders to return fire if fired upon, i can conceive of no other reason than what is shown in the video. If that proves to be true, then the police were not out of line in their actions. This isn't occupy wall street, these are african mine workers, a dangerous crowd at the best of times. IMHO political power playing within the unions was to blame, the mine had a standing 2 year wage agreement which is why the company refused to negotiate. The strike was illegal, and not supported by all unions, although intimidation was reported and is very common. Intimidation = pangas.

A few local sources with decent versions of events are:

Sowetan
On Wednesday, up to 3,000 police officers, including members of an elite, camouflage-wearing riot control unit backed by helicopters and horses, confronted the striking rock-drill operators, but there were no clashes.

Before the police advance, Joseph Mathunjwa, president of AMCU, which has been on a big recruitment push in South Africa's platinum mines, said there would be bloodshed if police moved in.

"We're going nowhere," he shouted through a loudhailer, to cheers from the crowd. "If need be, we're prepared to die here."

www.sabc.co.za... s/a/83b474004c58b9d091e2d31ae4657b4e/Police-prepare-for-more-trouble-at-Marikana-mine-20120814

Several people have been killed since Friday some burned to death, some killed with pangas, others beaten. Two police officers are among the dead.

The above quote refer to last friday, when the violence started.

May the dead rest in peace.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
So this is why all the PMs are up today...

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Further sources:

Following on twitter #lonmin
and journo on scene twitter.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
They look more like United Nation troops than police in that blue uniform.

Wasn't it Nostradamus who stated the Third Anti-Christ will wear a blue headdress (not turban).

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

To my understanding, the miners hacked to death 2 policemen within the past few days. The miners were armed with spears, machetes, petrol bombs, ect...

Above picture from news.yahoo.com...

It seems that the miners were attempting to charge at the police...or maybe they were trying to escape the tear gas being fired. I'll have to wait awhile longer for more info to come out

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Further sources:

mg.co.za...

Best source so far is mail and Guardians Live Blog:

liveblog.mg.co.za...

8:12:20 pm

Phillip de Wet is tweeting from a hospital near Lonmin:

We’re at the hospital closest to #Lonmin. Gunshot victims being treated. Many wounded, though no hard numbers yet.

At least one man has been airlifted from#Lonmin. Medics taking strain, but say they’re on top of it.

Saw men with gunshot wounds to the leg. Defensive fire? We just don’t know yet. #Lonmin

7:42:36 pm

While it remains unclear where the shootout started, in this Reuters video gunshots can be heard from both sides, with the police shouting “Cease fire or we shoot”.

WARNING: Graphic images

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Last report before bed. Watch the youtube:

The strikers stormed police, multiple gunshots are heard before the police open fire. The entire line of police were retreating, live ammunition was fired into the ground, confirmed by reporter at hospital "many gunshot wounds to the legs, possible defensive fire". The video shows a small groups in front that were hit, i didn't see many behind them.

Large number of police entering the scene local time 23h00, none of the police are saying anything, medics on scene are treating the wounded. Press release tomorrow morning. A national tragedy, but i believe the cops handled it reasonably, there are much deeper issues at play here, and there has to be a line somewhere. I hope that the well known organisers are charged, for murder, but i hope that some of the deeper issues get dealt with.

QOTD:

@pierredevos: Conservative Prime Minister Edward Heath criticised Lonmin in 1973 as “an unpleasant and unacceptable face of capitalism”.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I so feel for south africa with this tragedy going on.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
So you shoot at the cops and they shoot back they are trained your STUPID. Why don't people understand you can't take the cops on and expect to win. I feel so bad NOT! They were warned it's been violent and will continue to be.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
I so feel for south africa with this tragedy going on.

Me too, I feel for south africa with this tragedy, and that other one they have going on that killed thousands and never ever got reported in the media.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Uh-oh here comes NATO...to topple there govt..

thedailynewsegypt.com...
edit on 16-8-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Sounds like the police have over reacted

I don't know about that.. numerous reporters on the scene have stated a person or persons in the strikers group fired on police officers with a gun after tear gas was launched. Then there was an exchange, that likely led to a lot of unarmed people hit in the cross fire.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
So how long till this happens in America.....

Even IF the group of men fired off ONE shot tword the armored Police force.

How is it justified to riddle their bodies with hundreds if not thousands of rounds.

I could see many non lethal solutions. AKA massive pepper spray bullets.

You say LOL @ pepper spray.

Try it sometime and get back to me on how pleasant pepper spray is.

They wanted these men out of the way.

They were rocking the boat and holding up the pillaging of those mens homeland.

What were they asking for a few more cents an hour to mine.

Its not like mining is a safe job.

I would classify it as a hazardous job environment.

edit on 16-8-2012 by Zaanny because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikellmikell
So you shoot at the cops and they shoot back they are trained your STUPID. Why don't people understand you can't take the cops on and expect to win. I feel so bad NOT! They were warned it's been violent and will continue to be.

Exactly! Whilst I feel badly about people having to die in such a fashion, I can't help but wonder who in the heck brings a knife (panga/machete) to a gunfight? Shouldn't something in your brain click at some point and say, "Ya know, I've got a a panga and a spear. The police have guns...and lots of them. Doesn't look good for me at this point"?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
This is awful.

Here is a great example of why Americans should oppose anyone that tries to take away workers rights. These types of murders USED to take place here when workers would organize.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
NO one cares.. it is very sad.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
If this happen in any major oil producing nation you know we wouldnt be long invading, or paying terrorists to tear the place apart.. We send our tax payer money to fund what's going on Syria right now and a massacre like this takes place in Africa and I bet you nothing will come of this, unfortunately the western world don't give a # about Africa... Not enough money to be gained yet... Poor poor people.. Watch a couple of times and see how the police fired tear gas first above their heads, flushed them out then bamm... Totally sick

Either that or was just a bunch of zombies running around the corner

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Don't ya know, the police are there to "keep order".

I'm sure their claim will be "self defence", but my guess is there's no police casualties to back that up.

It really made me sick to watch.
edit on 16-8-2012 by BrutalDictator because: freedom

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluegrassconspirator

Originally posted by mikellmikell

Exactly! Whilst I feel badly about people having to die in such a fashion, I can't help but wonder who in the heck brings a knife (panga/machete) to a gunfight? Shouldn't something in your brain click at some point and say, "Ya know, I've got a a panga and a spear. The police have guns...and lots of them. Doesn't look good for me at this point"?

Nothing to live for.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join