It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Campaign Contribution Website Invites Fraud

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
DUBIOUS DONATIONS (2012 EDITION)
www.powerlineblog.com...
Back in 2008 the Obama campaign turned off the standard Address Verification System that screens credit-card charges for matching names and addresses.

An experiment was done to see if Obama might have changed that procedure in 2012:

If you go here you will note that credit card donations to the Obama election campaign do not require the credit card security code [i.e., the CVV code]. What they have done is disable the Address Verification System (AVS) which prevents credit card fraud. Yesterday, just to see what would happen, I submitted a donation and filled out the form as follows:

Name – Adolph Hitler
Address – 123 Nuremburg Way, Berlin, Germany
Occupation – Dictator
Employer – Nazi Party

After submitting, I received an email that began, “Dear Adolph, thank you for your generous donation….”

I then went to the Romney and Santorum websites and tried the same thing. Both rejected the donations with a message that the address could not be verified as belonging to the card holder.

This isn't a oops. This is every bit as criminal as rigging voting machines.

...anybody in the world can contribute to Obama. Not only that, but they can do so anonymously. Not only that, they can contribute an unlimited amount since there is no record of who made the donation. I could contribute $49 every day for the rest of my life by just changing names every time I reach $2,500 and no one would be the wiser.
(my bold)

They circumvented the record keeping process! They could be getting unlimited money from ...you name it.

2008 Story by same author, Scott Johnson
DUBIOUS DONATIONS
www.nypost.com...

and

2008 Story
Obama Accepting Untraceable Donations
www.washingtonpost.com...

edit on 8/16/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Well at least we can take solace that
there are zero shenanigans,
when it comes to funding Romney.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
That means anyone with a credit card or disposable prepaid card donated money to Obama mulitple times circumventing contribution limits.

Yep that is fraud and that does explain how a no name senator raised near 1 billion dollars.

I do have to say Adolf Hitler was hilarious.

Edit to add under the Patriot Act anyone who opens a prepaid debit/card automatically gets reported to DHS.
edit on 16-8-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I haven’t repeated Mr. Murray’s experiment, but I believe the situation is as described in the words of the Talking Heads: “Same as it ever was.”

So by the authors own admission, he doesn't know if the report is factually true or not. So now I have to ask did you do the experiment yourself? If not why didn't you? If you didn't replicate the experiment yourself, how can you expect anyone to take you seriously?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by KeliOnyx

I haven’t repeated Mr. Murray’s experiment, but I believe the situation is as described in the words of the Talking Heads: “Same as it ever was.”

So by the authors own admission, he doesn't know if the report is factually true or not. So now I have to ask did you do the experiment yourself? If not why didn't you? If you didn't replicate the experiment yourself, how can you expect anyone to take you seriously?

Why don't you do it and prove the OP wrong!

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Innocent until proven guilty. I did not level the charge or make the claim the burden of proof is on the person doing just that. Until they provide the proof their claim is as valid as saying the tooth fairy is real.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Do you mean to say that identitiy thieves and credit card thoeves could fund this campaign? Or unnamed foreign donors?

Obama still hasn't, and will never be forced, to dislose the $millions "donated' by unidentifiable, anonymous and foreign donors from 2008.

Of course, we could always notify Eric Holder's DoJ.
Or Janet Napolitano's DHS.
Or the DoL/AFSCME/SEIU/UAW/AFT/NEA (they are one-and-the-same, you know), as the DoL will be redesignated in term2.

Or, vote for Romney/Ryan.

Which would be most effective?
jw

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
DUBIOUS DONATIONS (2012 EDITION)
www.powerlineblog.com...
Back in 2008 the Obama campaign turned off the standard Address Verification System that screens credit-card charges for matching names and addresses.

An experiment was done to see if Obama might have changed that procedure in 2012:

If you go here you will note that credit card donations to the Obama election campaign do not require the credit card security code [i.e., the CVV code]. What they have done is disable the Address Verification System (AVS) which prevents credit card fraud. Yesterday, just to see what would happen, I submitted a donation and filled out the form as follows:

Name – Adolph Hitler
Address – 123 Nuremburg Way, Berlin, Germany
Occupation – Dictator
Employer – Nazi Party

After submitting, I received an email that began, “Dear Adolph, thank you for your generous donation….”

I then went to the Romney and Santorum websites and tried the same thing. Both rejected the donations with a message that the address could not be verified as belonging to the card holder.

This isn't a oops. This is every bit as criminal as rigging voting machines.

...anybody in the world can contribute to Obama. Not only that, but they can do so anonymously. Not only that, they can contribute an unlimited amount since there is no record of who made the donation. I could contribute $49 every day for the rest of my life by just changing names every time I reach $2,500 and no one would be the wiser.
(my bold)

They circumvented the record keeping process! They could be getting unlimited money from ...you name it.

2008 Story by same author, Scott Johnson
DUBIOUS DONATIONS
www.nypost.com...

and

2008 Story
Obama Accepting Untraceable Donations
www.washingtonpost.com...

It's called CHICAGO-STYLE politics....it's nasty, it's dirty, it's ganster-like, it's dishonest, and it's "the-end-justifies-the-means" excuses. It's in-your-face-whadaya-gonna-do-'bout-it. This whole administration from Obama to Eric Holder to Rahm Emanuel to Valerie Jarrett have this syndrome, imo.

This did make me think about the algorithm James Holmes' father helped to develop to catch bank fraud. Can't let THAT happen, now can they?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

You know how certain countries can't watch YouTube videos?

As I told you in the other thread where you posted this, the bloggers ip address is from the US, so the software KNOWS it's coming from within the US. You can say you're from Timbuktu and if your ip address is in the US, it takes you as a US donator.

Have someone from overseas try it and I'll believe it.

Otherwise, you're just spreading disinformation.

And when there is a foreign donation (from a computer located in the UK, for example), Obama's website requires a valid passport number.

To donate to the campaign, please use our Americans Abroad donation form.

If you are living abroad, you will also need to provide a copy of your U.S. passport.

Please note that only U.S. citizens and lawfully admitted permanent residents can donate to federal campaigns, and that Obama for America does not accept contributions from corporations, labor unions, PACs, federal lobbyists, registered foreign agents, minors under the age of 16, or any federally prohibited source.

FAQ on Obama Donations

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by KeliOnyx

You want to give $ to BO to prove it wrong be my guest. Having also read that they use credit cards on a recurring basis without permission I will most definitely pass. Having just spent about a half hour plus going over websites trying to get the other side I was unable to debunk. Certainly, there would be a BO supporter or Media Matters or snopes, politifact or some story to the effect it was not true if that was the case.

If did report it to the FEC.

Also sent Drudge about 5 links to the story.

www.exurbanleague.com...
pjmedia.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
EDIT: See my post on the next page for clarity on Donations and AVS

This is hillarious...

Anyone familiar with online Credit Card transactions knows that the BANK THAT ISSUES THE CARD WILL NOT ACCEPT PAYMENTS WITHOUT AN ADDRESS THAT MATCHES THE CARD.

NO...You CANNOT donate via credit card with a Name or address that does not match the card.

NO CREDIT CARD COMPANY WOULD PROCESS THE TRANSACTION

Here...

Credit Card Payment Processing--How It Works

The Issuing Bank (or Credit Card Association):

◦validates the card number and expiration
◦checks the amount of the order against the available credit
◦checks the billing address provided against the billing address on file
◦validates the CVV number (if provided)

help.yahoo.com...

The author "Scott W. Johnson" owns the blog you cited and he is a consistent far-right propagandist.

Banks DO NOT process anyones transaction without verifying name and billing address.

What he is accusing the Obama campaign of is IMPOSSIBLE...which is why he didn't go as far to say he checked with his CC card company and confirmed the payment was made.

But what the heck...It bashes Obama...just hold your nose and swallow....AGAIN.
edit on 16-8-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-8-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Having also read that they use credit cards on a recurring basis without permission I will most definitely pass.

Again with the hearsay. You have not experienced anything of the sort first hand but again reporting it as fact. Here is one for you, I read somewhere if you drink soda and eat a pack of pop rocks your stomach will explode. It certainly must be true because I read it somewhere. Just because you read it somewhere that confirms your worst suspicions doesn't make it true.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I missed your comment on the other thread.

Point being the allegation is that any fictitious name and address can be given. Foreigner Harry Chin could hire a stooge in the US to make donations all day long. This is not inconceivable.

The record keeping accountability is a joke now.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Point being the allegation is that any fictitious name and address can be given.

No it can't. Some blogger is making this claim. It's bull. As Indigo5 has said, the name and address must match the name and address on the card. I have personal experience with this.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

How so?

Considering the burden of proof is on Obama as per the left's logic and its pundit'slike Reid.

That European and middle eastern guilty until proven innocent.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Originally posted by neo96
How so?

"How so" -- what? What are you asking me?

Considering the burden of proof is on Obama as per the left's logic and its pundit'slike Reid.

Sorry, I disagree. The burden of proof is on the accuser (and that INCLUDES Reid). That was a crappy and slimy thing for him to do. But that's not the topic, is it?

If you want to discuss this issue, fine. But if you're just here to throw out some political bait, as usual, I'm not going to waste my time responding. The subject is: Obama Campaign Contribution Website Invites Fraud

Not Reid, and not "the left".

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by KeliOnyx

My bad, not recurring charges just credit card fraud. Not hearsay, these are real people.

Fast forward a few weeks to today and I was reviewing my statement from the last period. There were two pages of charges and buried in the middle of the second page was a $10 charge to Obama for America.

www.powerlineblog.com...

Steve and Rachel Larman say a strange credit card charge appeared on their statement this month — a $2300 donation to Barack Obama’s presidential campaign. The Larman’s say they don’t want this to be about their political affiliation, but they say they’re not about to give the Obama campaign any help from their pocketbook.

michellemalkin.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Not hearsay, these are real people.

Real people spread hearsay. Hearsay = RUMOR

Your other stories are also hearsay posted on blogs. Guess what? I found a $2300 charge on my credit statement to Romney! See how that works? I could write that on my blog and before long, there would be a thread about it here on ATS. Let's see their credit statement. Show me something more than a claim.
edit on 8/16/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

And yet neither source can tie the fraudlent charges to the campaign itself. Not even going into the dubious credibility of either source. The only thing they successfully have done is stated that people who were the victims of identity theft had charges made to the Obama campaign. You do understand that it is in fact possible to get the CCV number for your card via the same methods used to get the other information on your card? If you put it in the online purchase form it is every bit as vulnerable as any of the other information. This does not mean that the Obama campaign did anything wrong, it means some people who hijacked an account did.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Since the detractors on this thread have armed themselves with nothing but hyperbole and rhetoric, might I make a suggestion that will solve this debate?

Tomorrow I have to run to the bank. I will purchase 2 disposable VISA gift cards. On one, I will use a false name and address for the Romney campaign.
The other, for the Obama campaign.

That way, we'll finally be able to see. I can screen shot the gift card balances before and after to see if it can be done.

That way, we won't have to resort to hysterics and name calling and proof can be shown, one way or another.

Sound good?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join