It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana Sink Hole Potentially HUGE DIRTY BOMB!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamfox1
The reason its growing is because the New Madrid Seismic Zone is getting ready to split the US in half

Yep the earth is shaking plus there is a whole lot a Fracking going on
Boy the Human Race just can't wait to die can they.
We spend every day developing new ways to destroy the ourselves and the planet along with us.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by azureskys

The reason its growing is because the New Madrid Seismic Zone is getting ready to split the US in half

We spend every day developing new ways to destroy the ourselves and the planet along with us.

Wow. There is no connection whatsoever between this emergency and the New Madrid faultline or fracking. None. Whatsoever. Please prove me wrong.
I rarely use emoticons but

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by iforget
reply to post by pierregustavetoutant

A dirty bomb doesn't require the explosive force of a nuclear weapon. All that is required is something to spread the radiological material. If there is any radioactive waste stored near the butane and if there is a fire....

Outside of alarmist hype based on nothing but fantastical speculation, you are incredibly wrong....
Please embrace rationality and deny ignorance. It is, after all, the motto of the site.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by pierregustavetoutant

Originally posted by azureskys

Wow. There is no connection whatsoever between this emergency and the New Madrid faultline or fracking. None. Whatsoever. Please prove me wrong.
I rarely use emoticons but

Will this do, or do you require more?

Louisiana Environmental Action Network (LEAN) reports that, in addition to over twelve areas in and around Bayou Corne and Grand Bayou having “waters rolling from escaping methane, ethane, and propane,” locals have also reported tremors and houses shifting. USGS maps show extra movement and stress from oil and gas operations are susceptible to present pressure of a series of earthquakes west of Louisiana, each being where fracking and frack waste injection storage are ongoing. There has been exploration for oil and gas in that area in the past, which would make the presence of low levels of naturally occurring radioactive material (NORM) possible. The material, called NORM, is often a by-product of oil and gas exploration and production. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s website, radioactivity can vary widely, from background amounts to much higher levels.

Seismic activity

Seismometers picked up thousands of quakes in the Assumption Parish disaster area since June, according to seismologist Dr. Stephen Horton. He and colleagues had installed four instruments underground to record quake activities, and since then, two more, each monitored daily. People reported quakes on June 8 and July 3. Quakes ended when bubbling sinkhole developed but seismic signals continue from sinkhole area. There are seismic signals that appear to emanate from the vicinity of the in the Napoleonville salt dome, in the low amplitude range.

thewatchers.adorraeli.com...

Sources: Inquisitr, CNN, Examiner, WBRZ, The Advocate, NBC33TV, DNR Louisiana

edit on 17-8-2012 by azureskys because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-8-2012 by azureskys because: forgot to say why.first on my edit. I changed contents structure

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
www.sfgate.com...

Cliff Frohlich, associate director of UT's Institute for Geophysics

Read more: www.sfgate.com...

"Occasionally, people say to me, 'It's impossible that humans can cause earthquakes,' " Frohlich told the American-Statesman. "In my community, that's long established." Frohlich found that the most reliably located earthquakes - those accurate to within roughly a mile - occurred in eight groups, all within 2 miles of one or more of high-production injection wells.

In hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, millions of gallons of water, mixed with sand and chemicals, are injected into rock thousands of feet underground to extract natural gas. Frohlich said the most likely explanation for the quakes is that once injected, the fluids apply pressure to faults in the area and unstick them.

Imagine, Frohlich said, a slightly inclined air hockey table, with the power turned off. A puck placed on the table will slip until friction stops it. Power up the table, introduce air and the puck will begin to slide again.

stateimpact.npr.org...

How Fracking, Drilling and Earthquakes Are Linked

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
When I read this news the other day I remember someone going down in who was experienced in sink holes and or caves reporting upon coming out of it that there were rooms that were standard down there. Like 10x11.....

First thought that came to mind was Cern. Could it cause such sink holes?

Beams from space or Haarp ( if you believe)?

The core of the Earth?

Lots of unanswered questions though....

Rooms? Thats real puzzling to me.

Crazy stuff happening geologically speaking!

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
With Water rise, people over using underground water, and earthquakes this isn't surprising.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by kupoliveson
The sinkhole is located in a bayou, while no one lives on the actual property surrounding the bayou is a rural area where people do live. In the area of Bayou Corne, 150 homes were evacuated and the sinkhole is expected to continue to grow. Interestingly this is not the first time this has happened in the state of Louisiana, in 1980 Lake Peigneur, was turned into a sinkhole which drained the lake due to the rupture of the lake with a drill bit from an oil exploration on the surface gone awry.

www.fox8live.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by kupoliveson
BACKGROUND
The tremors began on August 3rd, Assumption Parish, LA about 50 miles south of Baton Rouge and northwest of New Orleans. Residents of the area had noted for some time that there were gas bubbles coming from various areas of the bayou, however no one expected a huge and still growing 400 foot deep sinkhole to open up.

Geology and Commercial Mining
The geology in the area and the history of geological exploration is thought to be the ultimate cause of the formation of the sinkhole. The sinkhole has formed on top of a series of salt caverns which are part of a larger formation called the Napoleonville Salt Dome. Salt domes are large formations of salt in the ground. These salt formations are used commercially to mine salt and sometime other materials such as petroleum and sulphur. These caverns once hollowed out (either through conventional mining or slurry) can then be used to store petroleum products and radioactive waste.

In this case the sinkhole is just 100 feet from a cavern mined by the Texas Brine Company for salt slurry. The cavern closest to the sinkhole was known to officials to be unstable since January of 2011 and this was kept from the residents. It is not known definitely if the sinkhole is the result of the failing cavern, however tests are ongoing. Also in 1995, local residents report Texas Brine was given the go ahead to store radioactive chemicals in the empty mine, however officials are saying the only radioactive materials are actually from natural occurring radioactive substances, of which none have been found. (seems fishy)

The bigger problems however are that another cavern owned by Crosstex 1500 feet away contains 1.5 million barrels of butane! Officials are saying if the sinkhole breached the butane filled cavern it would be “catastrophic” however others have made calculations and have “theorized it would have the explosive potential of nuclear weapon in the current service of the US. 100 Hiroshima nuclear bombs or 1.5 times the explosive force of the largest thermonuclear weapon”!

If there is also radioactive material stored in the Texas Brine Cavern and if the stored butane were to explode we could potentially have an extremely large dirty bomb on our hands!!!!

www.examiner.com...

articles.cnn.com...

www.examiner.com...

www.examiner.com...

edit on 8/16/2012 by kupoliveson because: minor error

Thanks for revealing to the terrorist and enemies of this nation a spot they could exploit as a potential 9-11 event.

Loose lips sink ships

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ChesterJohn

This thread can hardly be blamed for leaking the information. It has been in several newspapers, and on major t.v. news channels. Blame them.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I think it would be interesting to go look at what is happening at that sink hole and talk to the people working there looking after it. I probably wouldn't be allowed within a thousand feet of it.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
So basically, Matt Simmons was right, the Gulf region is in fact unstable. So curious he's dead...

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by sled735
reply to post by ChesterJohn

This thread can hardly be blamed for leaking the information. It has been in several newspapers, and on major t.v. news channels. Blame them.

None of the news agencies put it together to tell us it is dirty bomb ready to explode.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by kupoliveson

that radioactive waste was allowed to be stored below the water level...recall, parts of new orleans are 20 feet below water level.... is very troubling, and a big risk and should be exposed. which makes your original posting worthwhile.
But 12 years of higher education does not seem to inform you that oxygen is a gas and will not be found below the water table... except in rather small amounts dissolved in water.

repeat.

butane will not explode under any circumstances below the water table.... unless you mix it with pure oxygen at the ratio of about 3 tons of oxygen to 1.2 tons of butane. (clue. oxygen is 16, carbon is 14, hydrogen is 1. ) formula for butane C4H10 . with oxygen, it yields heat and water and carbon dioxide.

look ;up the equations for exothermic reactions of butane and oxygen yielding carbon dioxide and water.

you claim courses in chemistry. should be easy. side note. you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink.

putting butane and radioactive material underground and underwater is truly negligent dangerous and stupid.

but it will never explode. i am not justifying what was done. the perps should be located and sued.

the radioactivity will poisen the water. the butane will bubble up and burn if ignited.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Maybe this is all a bunch of hearsay, show me the evidence.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by KaiserSoze
That seems sensible, but with the insane amount I don't know if that removing it is even an option or how long it would take to do so. That just seems like such an awesome amount of butane.

Well, they better figure out something. This is completely unacceptable. It's madness. This didn't just happen yesterday. They should have been working on a "Plan B" a long time ago instead of waiting until it is too darn late to do anything.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Sinkhole area Isaac aftermath fish kills raise potable water question

"In an Examiner interview with a Bayou Corne sinkhole area resident Monday, it was reported that he observed the smell of dead fish in the bayou that officials there now question in regard to potable water, as nearby parishes are also report fish kills."

www.examiner.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
New gas bubbles miles from bayou sinkhole expedite new actions

"Gas bubbles have been observed in three new locations within miles of the Bayou Corne sinkhole, according to Assumption Parish officials on Wednesday, speculating that gas could be finding a new path to the surface than the sinkhole and announcing new drilling to find answers as Chevron depressurized its nearby pipeline.

Along with a massive fish kill littering Assumption Parish waterways, bubbling natural gas has been observed in three new locations, including in Triche Canal, within miles of the pre-existing sinkhole off La. 70 in the Bayou Corne community, parish officials said Wednesday."

www.examiner.com...

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I have scanned through this thread and haven't seen a really accurate description of the different danger levels posed by a breach in the butane storage salt dome. First of all, the butane will not ignite without oxygen so being confined underground makes it safe so long as the dome is not breached and starts releasing butane.

Here are the possible levels of danger depending on just how the dome is breached...

1 - A small breach that results in a more controlled leak will, if ignited, cause a flare somewhat like we have seen on news footage of ruptured natural gas pipelines.The danger level of this depends on just how fast the butane is escaping. But if there is no immediate ignition there is another much worse danger which I will discuss in the next part.

2 - I am going to digress a little here to explain something that is relevant to the next entry. There is a type of bomb known as a "fuel air" bomb. It consists of a liquified fuel that, when expanded back to gas, is highly explosive and a secondary time delayed charge to ignite it. The way it works is that the bomb is set off first by rapidly releasing the liquid fuel into the air. Then after the fuel has time to expand and mix with the surrounding air to form the most efficient explosive mixture the secondary charge is set off to ignite the fuel air mix. This bomb is so powerful that it is known as "The Poor Man's Nuke".

3 - The most dangerous situation for the butane release is if any leak occurs and no ignition happens until a very large quantity of butane is converted back to a gas and forms an explosive mixture with the surrounding air. Here the danger depends on two factors. The first is how much gas is released and the second is just when in the mixing cycle with the surrounding air it is ignited. Ignition of a relatively small amount or a mix that is not at the optimum explosive ratio of gas to air will result in a smaller explosion followed by a slower burn off of the remaining fuel.

4 - But the worst case scenario, made even more so by the large unpopulated area around the butane storage area, is for a rapid and massive release of the butane and a delay in the expanding mix in finding an ignition source until a truly huge amount of gas air mix is formed. And if that happens in such a way as to involve most of the butane in an optimum explosive mix before ignition that is the scenario that can be described in nuclear megaton terms. However, that is the absolute worst case scenario and would require a "perfect storm" of gas release, time to mix, and a perfectly timed ignition.
edit on 11-10-2012 by happykat39 because: typo

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join