It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana Sink Hole Potentially HUGE DIRTY BOMB!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
POSTING WORK WRITTEN BY OTHERS

Going forward, if you post something that is not 100% your own writing or work you must use the EX TAG, post NO MORE THAN 10% of the original (or three paragraphs, whichever is least), and GIVE A LINK TO THE SOURCE MATERIAL. If the work you are posting is not on the internet, from a book for example, you MUST give a credit for that Book ( the title), its Author and Publisher.

BACKGROUND
The tremors began on August 3rd, Assumption Parish, LA about 50 miles south of Baton Rouge and northwest of New Orleans. Residents of the area had noted for some time that there were gas bubbles coming from various areas of the bayou, however no one expected a huge and still growing 400 foot deep sinkhole to open up.

Geology and Commercial Mining
The geology in the area and the history of geological exploration is thought to be the ultimate cause of the formation of the sinkhole. The sinkhole has formed on top of a series of salt caverns which are part of a larger formation called the Napoleonville Salt Dome. Salt domes are large formations of salt in the ground. These salt formations are used commercially to mine salt and sometime other materials such as petroleum and sulphur. These caverns once hollowed out (either through conventional mining or slurry) can then be used to store petroleum products and radioactive waste.

In this case the sinkhole is just 100 feet from a cavern mined by the Texas Brine Company for salt slurry. The cavern closest to the sinkhole was known to officials to be unstable since January of 2011 and this was kept from the residents. It is not known definitely if the sinkhole is the result of the failing cavern, however tests are ongoing. Also in 1995, local residents report Texas Brine was given the go ahead to store radioactive chemicals in the empty mine, however officials are saying the only radioactive materials are actually from natural occurring radioactive substances, of which none have been found. (seems fishy)

www.examiner.com...

articles.cnn.com...

www.examiner.com...

www.examiner.com...

edit on 8/16/2012 by kupoliveson because: minor error

edit on August 19th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: ADDED EX TAGS, REMOVED EXCESSIVE C&P, MOD NOTE

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by kupoliveson

Wow that is really scary, Is this close to a community? Pictures show that it seem to be in a remote location(wooded area). I certainly hope that it doesn't reach the storage area. THat would be a massive disaster!!!

Will keep and Eye on this.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
The sinkhole is located in a bayou, while no one lives on the actual property surrounding the bayou is a rural area where people do live. In the area of Bayou Corne, 150 homes were evacuated and the sinkhole is expected to continue to grow. Interestingly this is not the first time this has happened in the state of Louisiana, in 1980 Lake Peigneur, was turned into a sinkhole which drained the lake due to the rupture of the lake with a drill bit from an oil exploration on the surface gone awry.

www.fox8live.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Great information and detail, thank you. I've been following this somewhat and it is very scary. It is also a case that proves the point that federal and state regulation is essential and not always some plot to destroy capitalism. By definition, capitalism is valueless so regulation must be imposed upon it to where it conflicts with the good of society as a whole. On this point I hugely disagree with libertarians like Paul who say property rights, which allow one to sue another for damages to THEIR property rights, are alone sufficient to prevent lawlessness. The problem with that view is that it only enables actions once the harm is caused; it has no preventative value. In cases like this, where the risks are so great, well-monitored preventive regulation is necessary and vital.
edit on 16-8-2012 by pajoly because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Good grief, what the hell!

Are there any graphs which will show the after effects of worst case scenario and who will be in direct danger from this? What about the prevailing winds? Please dont just hit and run on this thread/article, keep slamming the info to everyone.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
It also is disturbing how problems with the Texas Brine cavern were covered up, or in the least not made public. Meanwhile knowing there is a potentially unstable cavern nearby 1.5 years went by while the other caverns owned by other companies were being filled with potentially explosive substances! In the Lake Peigneur case 14 years later they began using the SAME salt dome for the storage of natural gas! Why don't we learn? So not only is there a historical precedent for failure of these salt domes but when potential problems are found they are either covered up or not shared with residents or potentially other companies using nearby caverns.

theadvocate.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I haven't had a chance to verify details yet, but news is coming out that there was a shooting at a Valero refinery about ten miles away from the sinkhole. Shooting was at a subcontractors parking lot with 4 sheriff's deputies involved 2 dead, 2 wounded. 2 shooters dead as well I believe.

May or may not be related, I don't know. But with what is happening down there it could well be.

Several shooters are not a "disgruntled former employee". so this is obviously something else. Could they be current employees trying to stop something catastrophic from happening? Perhaps bad guys that got caught trying to make something catastrophic from happening? Any other ideas?

Added link:
Here is a link to a current ATS thread regarding the shooting.

Two Louisiana Police Officers Died After Early Morning Shooting

edit on 16-8-2012 by KaiserSoze because: I can count to potato

edit on 16-8-2012 by KaiserSoze because: My favorite color is marbles

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Very scary stuff indeed! Both on the potential to harm human life, but be devastating for the environment.

Inhalation of butane can cause euphoria, drowsiness, narcosis, asphyxia, cardiac arrhythmia, temporary memory loss and frostbite, which can result in death from asphyxiation and ventricular fibrillation. Butane is the most commonly misused volatile substance in the UK, and was the cause of 52% of "solvent related" deaths in 2000.[5] By spraying butane directly into the throat, the jet of fluid can cool rapidly to −20 °C by expansion, causing prolonged laryngospasm.[6] "Sudden sniffer's death" syndrome, first described by Bass in 1970,[7] is the most common single cause of "solvent related" death, resulting in 55% of known fatal cases.[6]

Source

My only comment with regards to the 1.5 million cans of butane and the potential explosion equivalent to 100 Hiroshima’s, is what exactly will ignite the entire stock pile? Would a single spark be enough and would the falling soil material be enough to extinguish any flame? If it was deprived of a significant source of oxygen, since it is underground, would the effects be mitigated?

edit on 16-8-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I just noticed that the source: The Examiner, is not a verified source in this thread.

The Examiner is a blog web page.

Examiner - Unverified Blogs

Just to be clear, anyone from anywhere can sign up and write an article for them. Examiner currently has 55,000 contributors more than any other news source because they allow anyone to sign up and write for them!!!! This is what the executive editor had to say when one article went too far, "They're blogs. They don't get edited. We don't give any direction to people on what to write in their blogs. And that's standard operating procedure."

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
I just noticed that the source: The Examiner, is not a verified source in this thread.

The Examiner is a blog web page.

Examiner - Unverified Blogs

Just to be clear, anyone from anywhere can sign up and write an article for them. Examiner currently has 55,000 contributors more than any other news source because they allow anyone to sign up and write for them!!!! This is what the executive editor had to say when one article went too far, "They're blogs. They don't get edited. We don't give any direction to people on what to write in their blogs. And that's standard operating procedure."

If you count CNN as credible, they have also leasted the same details as the exaiminer. Again assuming you trust CNN

edit on 16-8-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Using the calculations of 1 Barrel of butane = 3,906,000 BTU multiplied by 1,500 barrels present gives you a explosive force of 5,859,000,000,000 (or 5.9 trillion BTU's). Popular citizen reporter, Dutchsince lists the Hiroshima bomb as having 60 billion BTU's or 16 kilotons meaning that the potential explosive power of this store liquid butane is potentially 100 times more explosive than the bomb that exploded at Hiroshima!

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

That's a whole lot of Bic lighters exploding at once.

Is there anyway to recover this potential energy resource and store it?

We do need ALL sources of energy after all.
edit on 16-8-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Who knows what the hell the evil top echelon in our government has done and is doing to us.

Never thought of that but makes sense.........where in sam hell is all this nuclear waste being stored and what happens if the containers burst open?

Or something else is going on?

Evilness knows no limits at present and is being allowed full reign.

Wonder how far it will all go?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

Please do a google search yourself, it will verify the basic facts. I have checked the math myself and everything checks out! I just used the examiner because it tied everything together, however if need be I can find hundreds of more ligitimate sights.

Including this which is a local news source!
theadvocate.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Makes you wonder with all the reports of FEMA movement... If they have been expecting this explosion... and if this massive explosion will trigger the New Madrid Fault to rupture.
Now we're talking 2012 dooms day

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by KaiserSoze
I haven't had a chance to verify details yet, but news is coming out that there was a shooting at a Valero refinery about ten miles away from the sinkhole. Shooting was at a subcontractors parking lot with 4 sheriff's deputies involved 2 dead, 2 wounded. 2 shooters dead as well I believe.

May or may not be related, I don't know. But with what is happening down there it could well be.

Several shooters are not a "disgruntled former employee". so this is obviously something else. Could they be current employees trying to stop something catastrophic from happening? Perhaps bad guys that got caught trying to make something catastrophic from happening? Any other ideas?

Added link:
Here is a link to a current ATS thread regarding the shooting.

Two Louisiana Police Officers Died After Early Morning Shooting

edit on 16-8-2012 by KaiserSoze because: I can count to potato

edit on 16-8-2012 by KaiserSoze because: My favorite color is marbles

Damn, now that's really interesting. You should start a new thread connecting these two dots. Nice work and definitely fishy.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

Thanks, good idea. I just did.

Louisiana sinkhole and Valero refinery shooting, is there any connection?

See what comes up.

edit on 16-8-2012 by KaiserSoze because: Does anyone read these reasons?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
SERIOUS?! That poor planning isn't an accident, all these man made disasters are not because of short sightedness, on the contrary, I have to start believing this is all part of an elaborate plan.....MY GOD IT HAS TO BE!!!! All these damn worse case scenarios keep coming to fruition.
S&F to help bring this into the limelight, I have only seen one quick blurb on the news about a week ago, they didn't say anything more than sinkhole and probably won't.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent

Who knows what the hell the evil top echelon in our government has done and is doing to us.

Never thought of that but makes sense.........where in sam hell is all this nuclear waste being stored and what happens if the containers burst open?

Or something else is going on?

Evilness knows no limits at present and is being allowed full reign.

Wonder how far it will all go?

i'm suspecting they have been nuking our salt supplies on this planet and this is essential. And there is a huge potential here for a lot more, another supposed accident. One carefully set up IMO.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Thanks OP for bringing this subject to peoples attention. Actually the gas bubbles, houses shifting and tremors started in June. Now that the sinkhole has opened up the tremor have died down. I have been following this since the gas bubbles first made the news. The potential is horrendous but my main concern is what are the citizens of this area to do? Has their drink water been contaminated and if so for how long?

Two workers had to be rescued today because the sinkhole is getting bigger. It does make me feel better that they have evacuated the citizens. Someone above posted the affects of butane on humans. Which can be harmful/deadly. Does anyone recall that incident of the villages getting killed by gas release? I think Africa. I will go google it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join