It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police enter Ecuadorian embassy building

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

Live stream here

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by gekko

I have...

Which have I missed out? And why is it I must answer yours? No one, to date, has answered my question..

If this was a Joe Bloggs running from a rape charge, no JA, would you feel the same? Why does he get special dispensation to claim asylum?

Hi, I'd like to interject if I can....

I absolutely agree with you in principle, no one should be able to hide anywhere to avoid facing criminal charges. If he has been accused of rape then he should be detained and his case should be dealt with by due process in a court of law. It shouldn't be an option to commit a crime and then, when the police come looking, hide in an embassy to avoid due process....

However, I think in order to properly answer your question about why he should be granted this privilege we would have to examine the reason that equador are allowing him to take refuge in their embassy. If we knew why they are choosing to protect him then that would answer your question I think. I'm afraid I don't have time to look into it as I'm at work right now but, i'm sure it won't be hard to find....

Perhaps they don't believe that the charges have any basis and that they are politically motivated, this could be seen by them as a good reason he is deserving of 'special treatment' in this case.... Just speculation on my part though.... I honestly don't know...

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by gekko

In my humble opinion you should have up-dated the thread already started on 8-15, and gave that op respect for sharing the info first.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
To all those saying he's protected by good old English and European law just remember the Extraordinary rendition stories. As far as I'm aware, when it's expedient to do so, the authorites will happily break international law conventions.

Assange is well and truely up the creek, If i was him i'd do "jesus" and throw myself at their mercy and show the world just what our governments are capable of.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I am not saying the man is innocent or guilty but after googling "Julian Assange sequence of events" it would appear to the average person that he gave Swedish Prosecutors more than enough time to question him while he was still in Sweden when the original charge was laid AND withdrawn, or in their own words less than one full day after the arrest warrant is issued, it is revoked by prosecutor #2 who finds that "there are no grounds for suspicion of rape or any other sex crime"

He then, a couple of weeks later, left Sweden for the UK and made himself available for questioning in London as well, this offer was also not taken up by Swedish prosecutors!

Is the man really REALLY guilty of the crime of rape?

To my untrained brain the only answer I can give is an emphatic NO!
edit on 16/8/12 by wiser3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

Can you tell me which thread you are referring to please?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by wiser3

One would think thatif he was he would not have been allowed to leave sweeden

Of course this is overlooked in his public persecution

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Stu, he isn't trying to run from a rape charge, they could try and convict him in absentia if they have evidence to back ujp their claim, he is running from an extradition to America, where he will probably be crucified for the crime of telling the truth, how dare he?

I mean you have noticed the evil acts of both our .govs right? They are mad that he keeps spilling the beans. They also know he has the "good stuff" in reservve as a form of insurance, a hedge if you will against them just disappearing him. So they need to torture...I mean waterboard....I mean question so they can find out exactly what he knows, what he has, and what the key is to decode his encrypted files so they can see what he really has for leverage, before they move on to his guilty verdict...I mean his fair trial.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Julian Assange already talked to Swedish authorities about the alleged rape charges. Sweden had PLENTY of time to come to a verdict.

This is a smear campaign and bring shame on the UK. We really are turning into the US's lapdogs aren't we? That raises bile in my throat.

Free Assange, Free Manning.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiser3
I am not saying the man is innocent or guilty but

Is the man really REALLY guilty of the crime of rape?

To my untrained brain the only answer I can give is an emphatic NO!

?? Ummmm... ??

Seriously though, we don't have access to the evidence at this time so, you really can't make any decision either way. People are arrested and questioned and released before being re-arrested in cases all the time. At the time of the initial report there may have been insufficient evidence, now there MAY be sufficient evidence or new questions as a result of new information from an ongoing investogation, that they need to ask him.... If not, then why are Sweden looking to have him retured there?
I'm definitely not saying he's innocent or guilty (seriously, i'm actually not
) but he should have to go to court and be found innocent or guilty by a court of law, not people on a discussion forum without all the evidence at their disposal, just like everyone else.

Like I said above, maybe Equador have a damn good reason to believe (as in more than just suspicion, actual evidence maybe?) that there are no charges to be answered and that this is political... In which case they should lay it all out on the table and make their case publicly. That's my distinctly uninformed opinion on the matter anyway. I'm sure it's much more complex than that...

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Julian Assange already talked to Swedish authorities about the alleged rape charges. Sweden had PLENTY of time to come to a verdict.

This is a smear campaign and bring shame on the UK. We really are turning into the US's lapdogs aren't we? That raises bile in my throat.

Free Assange, Free Manning.

Bring shame on the UK? It is pretty clear the UK are willing participants

Knowingly

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
He's just been granted Asylum according to the BBC link.

Now will the UK respect this? Or will it become a diplomatic farce.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
False flag attack against Ecuador next? That or Assange is a dead man...

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Well, according to this stream

www.ustream.tv...

British police is still inside the embassy. Interesting times...

link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

Ecuador has granted asylum to Wikileaks founder Julian Assange two months after he took refuge in its London embassy while fighting extradition from the UK.

Its foreign minister accused the UK of making an "open threat" to enter its embassy to arrest Mr Assange.

Ricardo Patino said there were fears Mr Assange's human rights may be violated.

link   

The likely outcome is an obituary

Sadly

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Julian Assange: Ecuador grants Wikileaks founder asylum Continue reading the main story

Ecuador has granted asylum to Wikileaks founder Julian Assange two months after he took refuge in its London embassy while fighting extradition from the UK.

Its foreign minister accused the UK of making an "open threat" to enter its embassy to arrest Mr Assange.

Ricardo Patino said there were fears Mr Assange's human rights may be violated.

Mr Assange took refuge at the embassy in June to avoid extradition to Sweden, where he faces questioning over assault and rape claims, which he denies.

He made the move after the UK's Supreme Court dismissed Mr Assange's bid to reopen his appeal against extradition and gave him a two-week grace period before extradition proceedings could start.

It was during that fortnight, while on bail, that he sought refuge.

A subsequent offer by Ecuador to allow Swedish investigators to interview Mr Assange inside the embassy was rejected.

The Wikileaks website Mr Assange founded published a mass of leaked diplomatic cables that embarrassed several governments, particularly the US's, in 2010.

Earlier, the UK Foreign Office warned it could lift the embassy's diplomatic status to fulfil a "legal obligation" to extradite the 41-year-old by using the Diplomatic and Consular Premises Act 1987.

Ecuador's Foreign Minister Ricardo Patino: ''We are not a colony of Britain''
That allows the UK to revoke the diplomatic status of an embassy on UK soil, which would potentially allow police to enter the building to arrest Mr Assange for breaching the terms of his bail.

Mr Assange says he fears that if extradited to Sweden, he will then be passed on to the American authorities.

In 2010, two female ex-Wikileaks volunteers accused Mr Assange, an Australian citizen, of committing sexual offences against them while he was in Stockholm to give a lecture.

Mr Assange claims the sex was consensual and the allegations are politically motivated.

edit on 16-8-2012 by Gibonz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Really, that's just excellent!

Now hands off UK and shame on the Australian goverment.

Mickierocksman

edit on 16/8/2012 by Mickierocksman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

How does that effect his position now? Will he be entitled to diplomatic immunity?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I think it would be stupid to hand yourself in to the police or courts when you know it is all a setup. What a sham, they are trying to defame him and make his life hell, I'm talking about US and its puppet states in Europe who can't move a muscle without US permission, these same countries that allowed CIA to abduct their citizens, knowingly, and then export them to torture facilities.

I think you're forgetting who is behind this whole shenanigan. Now everyone knows what would happen to you if you expose the truth about US, and this is only a small part of the truth. Imagine if Assange leaked top secret documents.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join