It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something is definitely up. They DID take down those Mars Curiosity thumbnails. Proof:

page: 26
<< 23  24  25   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Wind? what wind? Theres no air on mars how can you have wind without air?

Mars has a very thin atmosphere, but thick enough for there to be winds and dust storms. As 'Drunkenparrot' mentioned above, Mars is well known for having huge dust storms that can cover large areas of the planet. It is also known to have "dust devils", which are almost like tiny tornadoes (just like "dust devils" seen on Earth).

Here is a link describing the dust devils that were photographed by the rover "Spirit" several years ago in Gusev Crater:
Dust Devils at Gusev

and a youtube video:

Here is another story about the dust devils:
Research Helps Scientists Better Understand Dust Devils on Mars and Earth

...and a story about a picture of alarge-scale dust storm on Mars, taken by the orbiting Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO):
MRO: Mars Storm Chaser

Here is an article (and pictures) of a HUGE global dust storm that covered most of Mars back in 2001:
The Perfect Dust Storm Strikes Mars

By the way, Mars also has clouds.

Here is an article (with a video) of clouds near Mars' North Pole, taken by NASA's "Phoenix" lander. The video in this article is time-lapse (it has been sped up):
Martian Clouds Above the Phoenix lander

Here is a video of clouds moving in Mars' atmosphere, also taken by NASA's "Phoenix" lander (this video is also time-lapse, showing about ten minutes of cloud movement in three seconds):

edit on 8/31/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

I found this after only a minute looking around your photo at gigapan.com... linked in the OP of your other, now closed thread:

Folks - I'm having a censorship problem all over the web regarding my high res Curiosity panorama
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Looks like the head and maybe left shoulder of a doll half buried in the Martian wasteland. Anybody else see this as well?

edit on 9/1/2012 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
reply to post by impaired

I found this after only a minute looking around your photo at gigapan.com... linked in the OP of your other, now closed thread:

Folks - I'm having a censorship problem all over the web regarding my high res Curiosity panorama
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Looks like the head and maybe left shoulder of a doll half buried in the Martian wasteland. Anybody else see this as well?

edit on 9/1/2012 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

Try using the NASA original image from the NASA/JPL website. The Gigapan is a mosaic made up of a bunch of images, plus, the gigspan website compresses the image, which creates some loss in resolution.

The originals are all of the little images used to make the gigapan, and the one on the NASA/JPL website of that particular area does not have the like going through it like the gigapan imagedoes. The NASA image looks to be a higher resolution/lower compression -- basically a better image (which makes sense, considering it is the original):

[scroll over to see the area in question, bottom-edge-center of image]

and an enlargement:

Here is a link to that original:
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

...and a link to all of the original images from Curiosity's mast cam from sol 3:
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

By the way, I do see a face, but it could still just be a rock.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Thank you for the link. The lines from the mosaic were bothering me. You know... not only does it look like a doll's head, it also looks like the head of a small Terrier, or even a pile of rocks as well. Sometimes we see what we want to see. It is, of course, more than likely just a pile of rocks though. But thanks again for a link to the original NASA photo.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Beautiful pictures OP sadly no "proof" as you put it

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   
In the original picture I see a severed finger and a few different faces in things.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Nasa love giving the public low resolution shots, so anything that looks really interesting is always explainable away.

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 06:35 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: LerroyJenkins
Maybe nasa is doing it for server space? Large pics like that take up a lot of hard drive space, so they made them thumbnails? just throwing something out there.

Of course its only saying 204kb ..im def interested

That would be my guess as well

top topics

<< 23  24  25   >>

join