It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian Women Are Oppressed

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

No doubt.

I was hoping for a bit more meat, on this subject, not a mean old looking nun, shaking her fist, because the Worlds misconceptions, on her wearing tight fitting clothing, is hypocritical.....

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Perhaps you should look up the definition of oppression. Also, a previous poster was right; not all nuns don habits. And if they do, it's THEIR choice. They also CHOOSE to become nuns. They're hardly oppressed.

And when you say Christian, keep in mind there are close to 20 different denominations of Christianity and they are definitely not all the same. Catholism is just one of them. You would do yourself a world if favor to educate yourself before posting such nonsense and expecting intelligible human beings to buy into it.

I feel more oppression in a society that expects me to be flawless, sexy, vivacious and promiscous than I do in any church.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
What does the bible say about covering a women's hair

>

6 For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head.

Source

Regardless of what religion it is the choice of the women if they choose to wear it or not. In the case of the christian if they follow the teachings of the bible then they should cover there hair as stated above

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
regardless of the religion....
if one choses to wear a certain type of clothing, because of their faith....it is a good thing!!!

but when others start to strive to force them to wear such clothing, because of their beliefs, it isn't such a good thing!!
it takes away the choice they they could have made to express their faith and then what they are wearing is really quite meaningless to all...they are wearing it only because it is what they are being coerce into wearing...

I will respect any women, regardless of religion who chooses to express her beliefs in such ways...
but I only have disdain for those societies out there that will beat the heck out of women for wearing clothing that doesn't meet their expectations, especially if they fail to at least wonder if there was a good reason for the infraction!!!

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

By your bizarre logic, all three of these represent "oppressed groups".

"Oppressed" police woman:

"Oppressed" nurse:

"Oppressed" Supreme Court judge:

Stand up for the rights of Supreme Court judges!!! End the oppression!!!

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
"Oppressed" Christian Women At The Beach

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

Nun's only dress that way because of Habit....

Yeah, shoot me now...

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Honestly this is what happens when you give human beings the technology and means they aren't capable of handling..........

We have all of US morons posting our useless points of view on how things are and should be.

With everything we have...the world should be problem free.

It's no wonder the world is in its current state of affairs.

We are simply pathetic.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Being a christian, I will say you missed the mark.

As what happens when people try to nit pick and compare something they are a bit ignorant about.

Nuns make a choice.

Not that there are not ridiculously oppressive Christian sects out there, look at the Amish or the Quakers.

Southern Christian Churches can be as well, Pentecostals and Southern Baptist.

One could argue certainly that societal demands in those sects make if very hard for people to get away from that environment.

And even if you had gone with some real oppressive examples of Christianity, go to christian cults and such to push your example, you would still be wrong.

The key component in all of this is the rules of these sects are not institutionalized into the law of the land.

By allowing the enforcement of those religious rules to be protected from crime when they try to enforce them, say stone the women to death in the street.

Or say by honor killing a rape victim for being promiscuous and than the laws of the land allow for it, Thats a problem.

When you have any belief that marks half the worlds population as inferior, it needs to be addressed no matter the theology behind it.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

I call all religions idiotic. So maybe you should stop seeing only what you want.

i attack them all at once so applogists cant come in and say your just picking on one group. As if that does anything other than make them look ignorant.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I am a Christian man, married to a Christian woman, and beleive me, if anyone is oppressed in the relationship it's me

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Oh, and, just in case it's the combination of clothing and head wear that makes people oppressed, I give you...

"Oppressed" park ranger

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

I'm judged because I shave my head and have tattoos ..

You do!??? I'd never have guessed the shaved head and tattoos, but several of my friends have the same thing...and several don't......I, as a female, wear my hair long and have a small tat on my left lower back (---- that I frequently forget about....), generally dress in the most comfortable clothes available (jeans, shirts, jammie-pants, hoodies)....and don't own a pair of stilettos....I have a 'stand-by' mascara and eye-liner, although used to be I wore make-up daily, working or not.

I worked as a colleague to a Catholic nun (we were both clinical social workers), and she was very cool, not at all uppity....was in her late 60s. The main point (already made, but I'll reiterate).....is that NUNS are specifically part of the Church, considered "brides" of Christ, and the general female Christian populace are not. It's like a uniform.

miniatus, I'm glad you disclosed this, though....it bridges a gap............
not necessarily between you and I (done that), but between like-thinkers who might be "alert" upon seeing you!

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Choice vs. Force- if you can't see the difference, then there's no discussion to be had. However, I will say that there are some folks out there who are coerced into dressing a certain way, be they Christian, Muslim, whoever. Honestly, MOST Christian women don't fall into that category.

Yes, Orthodox Christian nuns DO dress that way all the time (I'm Orthodox and I have had interactions with nuns on more than one occasion. Our male monastics and priests also dress a certain way all the time, as well). They chose their life. Nobody coerces/forces another into becoming a monastic, of all things. It just isn't done. If anything, those who become monastics tend to be discouraged by their families.

It all boils down to perspective. When a woman or a man chooses to dress a certain way (that sets them apart from what you normally see in society), you'll usually find a strong person. It isn't easy, especially if people are telling you you're oppressed all the time.

I admit, I dislike niqab as I find it creepy to not be able to see a person's face. It thoroughly discourages people from interacting with the person whose face is covered. It is a psychological thing. However, seeing a Muslim woman in hijab doesn't bother me at all- and I don't automatically think oppression. After all, I've been thoroughly covered with a headscarf, long skirts and long sleeves when going to monasteries. I didn't feel oppressed then. I chose to go and knew what I was getting myself into. Nobody forced me to do anything.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I am a female in America.

Every day I get opressed ads, that isnsit I am not beautiful enough:

[yvid.iQPa2Rm2RvQ[/yvid]

Seriously, why aren't Men bombarded with this crap?

If anything, women are opressed daily, to be something other than what they are!

You can't be you unless you use: deoderant
makeup
hair dye
anti wrinke cream
tooth whiteners
Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah!
WOMEN ARE NO LONGER BEAUTIFUL UNLESS THEY PARTAKE OF SOME OF THE ABOVE!
Women are opressed becaue just being themselves makes them do most of the above, AND A LOT MORE!
Quite sad, actually, here in the west...........give me a habit, scarf, or burkah, so I don't have to do any of the above!

edit on 16-8-2012 by Sulie because: I pasted some of these wrong, but you all should get the jist

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

While I applaud your zealous stand against the wardrobes of various religious groups, as it applies to women, I fail to connect the oppressive nature of this.

These garments, are to provide levels of humbleness and afford levels of discreetness for all parties concerned.

Women, can not be expected to sit in a thong during Mass, just so they can feel liberated, and no longer oppressed, as you put it.

Just a comment.

Ciao

Shane.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Sulie

Why is deodorant on your list? I want men and women both to be bombarded with the concept of eliminating foul body odor.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Women can't go to Christian churches dressed like a stripper......clearly they're oppressed in some way.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
More bizarre logic from people who are claiming to be progressive..

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join