It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion as reality is terrifying to humanity

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

I didn't argue that those realms didn't exist, just that they were not eternal places. Even the heavens in Hinduism/Buddhism are not eternal places.

Yama is also not a "Satan" figure if you're thinking that (you seem to be hinting towards that imo). In Hinduism, all is Brahman, all of it, good and evil included. Much like what was stated in Isaiah:

"I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the LORD, do all these things." 45:7

^ One of the best passages in the Bible that is often overlooked.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

ah, the fine comber

Indeed some people dislike critical thinking on ATS

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdamsMurmur

I didn't argue that those realms didn't exist, just that they were not eternal places. Even the heavens in Hinduism/Buddhism are not eternal places.

Yama is also not a "Satan" figure if you're thinking that (you seem to be hinting towards that imo). In Hinduism, all is Brahman, all of it, good and evil included. Much like what was stated in Isaiah:

"I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the LORD, do all these things." 45:7

^ One of the best passages in the Bible that is often overlooked.

I never intimated that in any way. What I was answering to was the statement that implied only Christians believe in hell and I was just showing that the concept was found in other religions. Whether or not those religions describe it as eternal or not does not disclude the fact that hell has been a concept in early Hinduism.

I never use Wikipedia, like most people do, but in your case I will make an exception, OK. Because it seems Wikipedia is a trusted source for people who don't look up actual links of anything posted.

Naraka (Sanskrit: नरक) is the Sanskrit word for the underworld; literally, of man. According to some schools of Hinduism, Sikhism, Jainism and Buddhism, Naraka is a place of torment, or Hell. The word 'Neraka' (modification of Naraka) in Indonesia and Malaysian has also been used to describe the Islamic concept of Hell.

OK, someone said that Naraka was a place of torment. I did not make that up.

Naraka in Vedas, is a place where souls are sent for the expiation of their sins. It is mentioned especially in dharmaśāstras, itihāsas and Purāṇas but also in Vedic samhitas,[1][2] Aranyakas[3] and Upaniṣads.[4][5][6][7] Some Upanisads speak of 'darkness' instead of hell.[8] A summary of Upaniṣads, Bhagavad Gita, mentions hell several times.[9] Even Adi Sankara mentions it in his commentary on Vedanta sutra.[10] Still, some people like members of Arya Samaj don't accept the existence of Naraka or consider it metaphorical. In Puranas like Bhagavata Purana, Garuda Purana and Vishnu Purana there are elaborate descriptions of many hells. They are situated above Garbhodaka ocean.[11]

Just because one religion says that hell is forever and another says it is not, is not the issue at hand. What the post thesis was, there is no concept of hell outside of Abrahamic Religions. But I gave you the links from non-Christian sites, so it can't be assumed it is Christian propaganda.

I never mentioned Satan or implied Satan, you just feel compelled to keep pushing your own thoughts to make it appear as though I did. Every religious viewpoint that contains a concept of hell also includes a god of said underworld. Now will you address the point I am making, ancient religions apart from Christianity also contain a concept of hell. That point alone, OK, if you are able to do it without assuming anything in my statement.

For you, again, ancient religions contained a concept of hell. That is my point, plain and simple.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

There's a Hel in norse mythology too, not quite what we know it as, but it has similarities.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Jesus did not convert people by fear. I was not converted by fear and the people i lead to christ are not converted by fear, but by love. You look at the giant picture but miss all the little details that tell a deeper more beautiful story.

The one reason people become uncomfortable when religion is brought up is because of society not the religions themselves.

And Christianity is not even about Religion it is about a relationship with Our Father. It is about faith and love.

His (God's) eternal love is best sumed up in John 3:16

God gave up his Son to save us. How many anti religion leaders haven givin up their children for you

None that I know of.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

There's a Hel in norse mythology too, not quite what we know it as, but it has similarities.

Lonewolf, I had posted that in my earlier post response, but somehow the links don't get read when it comes to rebuttal to some posts by Christians.

Have you noticed that? Instead of reading links provided by Christians, they jump on us saying we don't know what we are talking about. You and I both post links whether they are from Christian, Jewish or secular resources, but some people won't read them. They try to rebut us without even knowing our thesis.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by WarminIndy

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Lonewolf, I had posted that in my earlier post response, but somehow the links don't get read when it comes to rebuttal to some posts by Christians.

Have you noticed that? Instead of reading links provided by Christians, they jump on us saying we don't know what we are talking about. You and I both post links whether they are from Christian, Jewish or secular resources, but some people won't read them. They try to rebut us without even knowing our thesis.

It's called ad hominem fallacies. By default they don't like us because we're christians, so anything we say or provide even with sources backing it up, is automatically wrong and to be ignored.

It's akin to saying "you're a christian, therefore anything you say is to be ignored and disregarded because you're christian and christians don't know anything".

In essence they use prejudice as an excuse to ignore us. It's just another way they hate on us, while trying to make us look like the haters. Hypocrisy in disguise.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by Jordan River

ah, the fine comber

Indeed some people dislike critical thinking on ATS

To some people, critical thinking is really about finding new ways to ad hominem. Prehistory understanding is based in a lot of supposition and assumption. For one to think critically, they need to look into all facets of a subject to get as clear an understanding as possible.

History is being revised in many areas as we speak, but it just goes to show that prior suppositions were made without knowledge of all the facts. Critical thinking means that one looks rationally at the facts without having to assume.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join