It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military's Mach 5 Missile Fails, Again

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

www.wired.com

A crucial test for the Air Force’s experimental Mach 5 missile has ended in failure, according to the Air Force. Tuesday’s test is also the third time the hypersonic X-51A Waverider cruise missile has fallen short. But this time could be the last.

As first reported by Danger Room, the Waverider’s control fin failed, preventing the missile’s scramjet engine from starting. The Air Force later confirmed the result in a statement. That also corresponds to information provided by an insider familiar with the test, who said a problem with a missile’s fin caused a loss of control before
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Mmmmm. third time unlucky. It's a real shame.

Mind you this puts pay to the theory that there might be UFO's out there made by us............Ah No.

Can't make a missile do Mach 5 you aint gonna make a whole craft do that either! Mind you it's what I have been thinking all along..............No, they really are from somewhere else.

www.wired.com

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Yes because we need missiles that can shoot at mach 6...

Seems to me they are preparing against capabilities that no other military has shown the ability to match.

So how bout we scale back the defense spending just a bit and spend more into schooling... Hell maybe them engineers would of gotten it right if the public education system was at the very least comparable to other 1st world countries.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I know they caught Russia's attention.. the only reason I knew about this scramject missile was because I was reading about the Russians testing a new bomber they are working on and one Russian official mentioned this project and said they shouldn't be focusing on bombers when the US is focusing on things like this...

I personally don't see the point for using it in missile technology .. when you have subs stationed all over the planet... especially considering these missiles can't maintain those high speeds for long at all .. it seems like a waste..

The only point of this I think is to flex our technology muscle... looky what we can do... kinda

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
So how bout we scale back the defense spending just a bit and spend more into schooling... Hell maybe them engineers would of gotten it right if the public education system was at the very least comparable to other 1st world countries.

Well when you put it in terms of scaling back defense spending, suddenly these missiles DO make sense .. if we had missiles that could be launched from here and reach their target across the world fast enough.. we wouldn't need to keep spending all the money we do to keep submarines all over the place, bases all over the place and all that other stuff... these missiles could theoretically GREATLY reduce defense spending.. if they worked properly and could get to the target fast enough.

Plus they scare the enemy ... like I said, Russia is nervous about our scramjet research.
edit on 8/15/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainBeno

Mind you this puts pay to the theory that there might be UFO's out there made by us............Ah No.

Can't make a missile do Mach 5 you aint gonna make a whole craft do that either! Mind you it's what I have been thinking all along..............No, they really are from somewhere else.

www.wired.com

It absolutely doesn't .. I still think many UFOs are government crafts... there is a big massive difference between projects like this and black projects .. There are things you report so that potential enemies can read about it and gauge your technology... then things you don't ... a "ufo" type craft would fall under one of those things you don't report.. and would likely use unconventional propulsion .. scramjet technology has been around a while ..

According to a leaked memo even the MSM has been reporting on .. Israel has some kind of technology to render their fighter jets "invisible" that they haven't shared even with the USA ... that could just be a new type of stealth.. or something revolutionary ... military holds certain things very close to their chest

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Perhaps, the enemy is one we know nothing about and has a vastly superior arsenal than us.

I have always wondered when looking a those "things" zipping at 90 deg angles in the sky. What if they turned nasty? It would be rock and Goliath syndrome.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

I don't know how much luck is involved. From your source:

actually doing it is really hard. Hypersonic speed generates tremendous heat.
I remember reading about how difficult mach 3 was with the SR-71 because of the heat generated...which most materials simply can't tolerate. Even the cockpit could get toasty with the windows getting hotter than my oven:

SR-71A

Temperatures inside the cockpit could get quite warm towards the end of a long high speed cruise leg with temperatures of 550 degrees on the pilot's side windows. The small triangle windows in front of the pilot will heat to 625 degrees during cruise. . To heat their food they simply held it against the windscreen.
And while the windows were 625 degrees, the wings were much hotter.

At mach 5 this problem is much worse. There may be engineering solutions to heat this intense, and other problems at mach 5, but I'm not sure there's any guarantee that's the case.

Anyone who thought this was going to be easy is getting a wake-up call. but I never thought it would be easy to go mach 5 after reading about all the heat and other problems trying to go only mach 3.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

The SR-71 is also technology from 1966 ( that's when it was introduced, designing, engineering, testing and building takes more time ) ... a lot has changed in those years ... and a lot of those changes I am SURE we don't know about yet ..

By the way.. I had the pleasure of seeing the final flight / landing of the black bird.. as it landed literally in front of my house at WPAFB Museum .. I live right there... awesome craft

I think this scramjet testing is made public intentionally.. I'm sure we have things better.. the SR-71 was top secret for a long time after it's introduction in 1966.. this is one instance where I wouldn't be surprised if this test is misdirection to make our enemies think one thing while we've got something else.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

That is HOT!!

To be honest I have never thought about the ramifications of that. Drag/Friction etc. It was something I have just ignored. But your right, it would be tremendous heat at those speeds.

Makes me think about a lot more..................Cheers

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
some thing funny about this and All plains that can go very fast.
they abandoned concorde and dont seem to have any realy fast plains.

They are holding back on all technology.
they can track and follow american citizens
but can not find gorillors in war zones.
the have sattalights thay can read the book you are reading.
and that was years ago. it is all a big Joke.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
this is one instance where I wouldn't be surprised if this test is misdirection to make our enemies think one thing while we've got something else.
Well said...that wouldn't really surprise me either.

Of course there are secret projects we never hear about, so those of us without clearance have no idea what's going on with those, other than a rough idea of the spending involved which is substantial, so they must have SOMETHING!?

That is HOT!!

To be honest I have never thought about the ramifications of that.
I have no idea how many pilots have grilled their grilled cheese sandwiches by holding them up to the windscreen, but hopefully not too many?

Another problem is the airframe also changes size significantly due to the thermal expansion, and this can create tremendous stress, especially if different materials are used which have differing thermal coefficients of expansion (which is usually the case of course). Differing expansion rates could literally rip things apart.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

www.wired.com

Quite the contrary!
This project is just another one of those diversionary, make-work projects that keeps the focus off important questions beginning with:
Why ;no shuttle replacement when they had thirty years to come up with something?
Why no serious (public) efforts ever given to scientifically investigating UFOs when the data is everywhere?
And what are these mysterious triangles that have been growing more notice in the skies every day?
Lastly, what ever happened to all of the institutions that was investigating anti-gravity and mass-canceling craft back in the early 1960? Why is that aspect never mentioned by any area of science or government as a possible next step toward aerial movement and space travel?
Why would they keep hidden the greatest secret weapon of war ever developed.
(Oh, wait! That last "question" answers itself and supplies answer to the prior questions also.)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
I know they caught Russia's attention.. the only reason I knew about this scramject missile was because I was reading about the Russians testing a new bomber they are working on and one Russian official mentioned this project and said they shouldn't be focusing on bombers when the US is focusing on things like this...

I personally don't see the point for using it in missile technology .. when you have subs stationed all over the planet... especially considering these missiles can't maintain those high speeds for long at all .. it seems like a waste..

The only point of this I think is to flex our technology muscle... looky what we can do... kinda

I'm wondering why everybody considers this a failure. It may be an operational failure (in this case, identified as the fin) which could have been a manufacture issue...nobody knows outside of the #mil. That being said, the Scramjet Engine and the ability to "ride a shockwave" - emphasis on the creation of the shockwave - could have uses outside of a missile or engine.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Interesting to see the different takes by different media sources.

Huffington Post

The Waverider is a hypersonic combustion ramjet created to, as the name suggests, ride its own shockwave to achieve speeds as high as Mach 6. The vehicle is unmanned and autonomous, according to an Air Force fact-sheet. The almost-wingless craft, which resembles a shark, is not a weapon system protoytpe. But the technology could offer breakthroughs relevant to space travel, hypersonic weapons, surveillance and reconnaissance, and could otherwise give the United States an opportunity to sharpen its competitive edge when it comes to intelligence-gathering.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I would prefer it if they spent billions on enhancing the modern soldier and training him to be a force multiplier himself on all levels.

Improved body armor, training, weapons, ect...

That is better than all the smart tech they can develop.

It is also transferable to the next generation of soldiers they train or birth.

Hey educating your people is a good way to stay ahead of the curve....but then again, if all you want is cannon fodder then you kind of suck in terms of thinking ahead....

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Agreed, however I feel that the speed element of this missile is not to enable it to catch and hit fast targets, simply to be on target faster and have a greater chance of getting there without being intercepted.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Ya see, they're trying to go big...they should go small first....then they can eventually try for reaching ludicrous speed.....cause ya know....warp speed is too slow.....

edit on 16-8-2012 by Kastogere because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   

www.wired.com

A crucial test for the Air Force’s experimental Mach 5 missile has ended in failure, according to the Air Force. Tuesday’s test is also the third time the hypersonic X-51A Waverider cruise missile has fallen short. But this time could be the last.

As first reported by Danger Room, the Waverider’s control fin failed, preventing the missile’s scramjet engine from starting. The Air Force later confirmed the result in a statement. That also corresponds to information provided by an insider familiar with the test, who said a problem with a missile’s fin caused a loss of control before

At speeds of this magnitude I would think rather than using conventional fins they should look more into changing the surfaces of the vehicle. Either by making a surface produce more/less left, the vehicle can be maneuvered. I keep thinking of the studies being made on bird, bat, bug and other winged creatures for secrets into new means of flight control. One would think, using the same theory of changing a wings shape to produce more or less lift.

My initial thought is a missile with a sleek body that could create concave or convex indents at key points in it's body to produce lift or drag to divert the direction of travel. No wings, no parts to break off.

The tricky part being, what do you make the body of this mach 6 missile out of flexible enough for the movements, yet strong enough to withstand such forces. My first thoughts are Kevlar, teflon, or nomex fabrix. Really any of the meteorite shielding materials used on the nasa spacecrafts. They seem to show exceptional force resistance, and maintain some level of flexibility based on how they are manufactured.

Another interesting thought involving Nitinol could produce interesting results. My thoughts are simply rather than conventional means of fins producing drag or a change in aerodynamics resulting in course changes.

The body of the missile itself can be the entire flight control system for the device. Nitinol can be made in such a way that at specific temperatures it will have a shape memory that it will revert to. Nitinol can be trained to have more than one shape memory. Perhaps at one memory it's sleek, the other it's convex, the other concave. The idea creating a surface of drag to maneuver the device.
edit on 8/16/2012 by Ilyich because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Maybe that's gonna be the newest form of travel one day. Instead of jet planes each person just gets into a miss--ile that is fired at mach 6 to the airport of the country they're visiting. So they could be there like 6 times faster than normal.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join