It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have We Reached Rock Bottom?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
In the past I have criticized the quality of threads on ATS. Recently however I haven't had much of a problem. That changed today though when I noticed what may be the worst thread I've seen on ATS. I won't name names all I will say is that it is about nothing. Now I wouldn't normally have a problem with this as threads like this are the nature of the beast. What got me though is that the thread I'm referring to is currently the second most popular thread on the home page. We're supposed to be a site about denying ignorance and finding the Truth yet we're advertising ourselves with a thread based on literally nothing and filled with back patting. All I can think is that this is final proof of my claim that the members of ATS now care more about entertainment than actual research and hunting for the Truth. People are now just throwing out the most insane theories with nothing to back them up and then even when they're wrong they find a way to count that as a win.

Am I the only one that feels this way? That many on here care more about entertainment and escapism than upholding the ideals that made ATS the best?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Just like our World and it's governments

The truth movement has been usurped...

How ironic...

The truth movement is no longer interested in what is TRUE...

EDIT:

"Have We Reached Rock Bottom?"

You know what they say about rock bottom and only one direction to go in

Some see it as a good thing actually...

edit on 15-8-2012 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

This is true... sadly

2nd

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

You are not the only one who notices.
I have to post less as per t&c and control myself sometimes.
The amount of times I am screaming at the drivel on here makes me just log off until I can control myself.

Its like youtube with better mods.
I feel you.

I have said it before and will say it again.
The internet is full of trolls.
Youtube=comment and subscribe and like.
Twitter=follow me,I like being ignored by celebrities in real time.
Ats=please flag and star.
Facebook=friend me,like button,and share the drivel with everyone.

I want attention attention attention dammit!!!!!

Yes buddy,we have reached rock bottom.
edit on 15-8-2012 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I was worried that the nonsense thread you were talking about may have been mine until you said it was the second most popular.

I kinda agree with you but I don't think bitching about it really solves anything.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

Its a public forum and it is also called the rant forum for a reason.
Bitch away op.
(within reason of course)

Yes,the thread that was yours and just got closed is a good example.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavalryscout
I don't think bitching about it really solves anything.

So whats YOUR solution?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

His solution is attention seeking...just like my post states IS the problem.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Internet people....how proud is your Mom for posting what you did??
Think about it.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Truth based on what though? Your opinion? Mine? The consensus?

All we have is individual perception to go on.

With that said, there are MANY perceptions floating around ATS that could care less about a "well thought out thread" whereas the thread is about nothing, turns into nothing and is competely idiotic. Again, its all about perception though.

Just because something is down right dumb, short and sweet ( to me) does not mean others do not find quality.

I can research a subject and find a different truth than the OP, thus begins a battle of opinions.

Frankly, im sick of stubborn and opinionated threads.

I prefer to surround myself with open minded people as Im open minded...

One person in a thread can debunk something and by God its debunked?? He said it was fake so it must be. Lol

Im too much of a free thinker for that thread... Then I move on.

I would LOVE to create a cool, well researched thread but I simply dont have the time.

All the politics is NOT my thing because from where I sit ( heres that perception thing again) its all bs ing puppets anyway, so why do I care what they are barking about now?

My concerns are for the earth and our kids. My interests of science, religion and aliens is " out of this world" but not everyone is me.

I totally understand the frustration and wish I could create something worth while for you.

You and I have had our disagreements ( nothing bad) but that doesnt take away my respect for you here as an awesome and nice member. :-)

I think I had to vent too. Lol

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I can agree to a certain degree with your observation. I don't know why it is but my guess is that the one side of the coin wore the other side of the coin out...

ATS used to have a large group of intelligent, free thinking and critical thinking members that kept balance to the threads around here, they seemed to have moved on from what I can only assume they thought was futile...

I haven't seen Phage post in ages, although I didn't always agree with him I learned a lot from him and respected the way he could enter a thread with a counter perspective and essentially....kill the nonsense.

I used to never think the "ridiculous" threads were an issue because I knew they would be balanced out and stopped short of magnificent grandeur by the complimentary members...

this is less common unfortunately...
edit on 15-8-2012 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

I'm not the one who 'stars' and 'flags' that stuff.

So I guess somebody must enjoy a little humor.

Really guys it's a click of a mouse to close a window or go to a new page.

You talk about me but yet this is the best topic you could come up with to discuss?

new topics

top topics

join