It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Program providing protection for young immigrants launched

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Program providing protection for young immigrants launched

www.cnn.com

(CNN) -- Hundreds of thousands of people who entered the United States as children but without documentation can apply -- beginning Wednesday -- to remain in and work in the country without fear of deportation for at least two years.

"I've found the form!" screamed Maria, a young Chilean at a Latino community center in New York, as she leaped from her seat.

She was with a number of other undocumented immigrants meeting there to get legal advice in anticipation of the release of the form, which authorities surprisingly posted a day before they had said they would.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Immigration is a hot button issue, especially the idea of Amnesty and allowing all the illegals to remain in the country..

As for the children of immigrants who didn't have a choice when they were brought here, I do think it's great that they can do move towards becoming citizens, without the fear of being deported.

Seems kind of harsh to grow up here, become an 'America' in every sense of the word, and be deported for the mistakes of your parents.

The $465 application fee will fund the administrative costs of the program, including a biometric check and the issuance of a secure work-authorization document, he said.

And it's being paid for apparently. What's 1.7 million times 465$?

790 Million.

Thoughts ATS?

~Tenth

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 8/15/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
If It's a one off, as in everyone has between so and so to sign it. Then that's good.

But if it is a continuous law, then it will only encourage families looking to get better lives for their children, to risk illegal migration. Mass emigration would ensue. And the US will have a problem on it's hands.
edit on 15-8-2012 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

It expires in February 2013 I believe according to the article, so it is just temporary so that those here presently can put in an application.

I agree, a continous law would only compound the problem, I had not considered that.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I believe soon we'll see the implementation of the mandatory militar service here and those poor kids will be enlisted on spot.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Then It's a great idea. Of course the tax payers may not be so pleased.

But in the end isn't it for a good cause? As you said, the children had no say in their parent's decisions to take them across the border.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

That would interesting to say the least, but I doubt it.

Can't be a member of the military unless you're a citizen as far as I understand it.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I think it's a great idea, kept to the confines of this current program. The concern, of course, is that some people may misunderstand and try to get into the country in the future, on the basis of the belief that their kids, at least, will be grandfathered in. I imagine that the "coyotes" are already starting to spread the word that they can get people into the country, and once you're in, you're golden.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Can't be a member of the military unless you're a citizen as far as I understand it.

What if I am not a U.S. citizen
Only U.S. citizens or foreign nationals legally residing in the United States with an Immigration and Naturalization Service Alien Registration Card ("Green Card" -- INS Form I-151/551) may apply. Applicants must speak, write and read English fluently.

Source

I never knew that for myself, so glad you brought it into question!

edit on 15-8-2012 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by Trueman

~Tenth

That is another minor problem "they" can fix.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

What if I am not a U.S. citizen
Only U.S. citizens or foreign nationals legally residing in the United States with an Immigration and Naturalization Service Alien Registration Card ("Green Card" -- INS Form I-151/551) may apply. Applicants must speak, write and read English fluently.

Source

I never knew that for myself, so glad you brought it into question!

edit on 15-8-2012 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

So those kids fit perfect.

edit on 15-8-2012 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

No they would not..

This only provides them with temporary residency and work permits I do believe, not a green card.

I understand that you want the big bad government to do it's worse, but sometimes, every now and then, they do something good.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

So those kids fit perfect.

You might have a point my friend!
Not going to speculate though, I know how much people hate conspiracy theorists!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Now wait a minute, I just found this article that says

As many as 1.8 million undocumented immigrants could be eligible for the program, which kicked off Wednesday. Under the new rules, applicants can fill out a six-page form, pay a $465 fee and submit documents proving their identity in order to qualify

Source

If 1.8 million people pay $465, that adds up to $837MILLION dollars!!!!!!!! I wasn't aware of this fee being attatched to this.........

edit on 15-8-2012 by seeker1963 because: miscalculation

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Well....according to the history :

On Dec. 18, 2011, the United States pulled its troops out of Iraq, ending an eight-year war in which immigrant soldiers made remarkable contributions to the American cause.

During the peak of the war, more than 30,000 non-citizens were serving in the U.S. military, accounting for close to 2% of the total 1.4 million active duty service members.

By the end of the Iraq war, the government had given more than 120 immigrant military members posthumous citizenship after they lost their lives during combat in Afghanistan and Iraq.

....and....

Foreigners have served in the U.S. military since the Revolutionary War, distinguishing themselves on battlefields from Gettysburg, to Normandy, to Vietnam, to Baghdad. Roughly a third of the non-citizens in the armed forces today are from Latin America and the Caribbean. Many others are from Canada, China, Vietnam, India, Nigeria, Turkey and Korea.

immigration.about.com...
edit on 15-8-2012 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
The problem with amnesty is once you have one you know there will be another. Immigration is going to have to be reformed and ultimately it will have to include some kind of amnesty whether we like it or not. That is just reality, it is better to accept that and move onto a plan you can live with than to fight endlessly over something that is eventually going to happen.

It really comes down to what country you want to be, the authoritarian one that throws everyone out regardless of situation or one that considers the quality of the person we are about to throw out. While a purely political move, it is nonetheless a well reasoned and compassionate one.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

As many as 1.8 million undocumented immigrants could be eligible for the program, which kicked off Wednesday. Under the new rules, applicants can fill out a six-page form, pay a $465 fee and submit documents proving their identity in order to qualify

Source

If 1.8 million people pay $465, that adds up to $837MILLION dollars!!!!!!!! I wasn't aware of this fee being attatched to this.........

Actually I kind of like the idea of a fee being put on this. In the future any Amnesty proposals should be accompanied by such a fee perhaps a larger one though. I have to wonder if people opposed to an amnesty would have as much problem with it if there was a requirement to pay a "fine" as a means of punishment over deportation? Since the largest argument against an amnesty is that the people getting it did in fact break the law.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
The only reason these kids are here is because their parents broke the law. It may not be the children's fault, but neither is it our fault or that of those coming here the right way.

I think it is unfair for these kids to jump to the head of the line before all those coming here through the proper channels. It is unfair to give them work permits with millions of unemployed citizens needing to feed their families. It also encourages more illegal immigration. People coming here illegally will just wait for the next time our government gives some kind of amnesty or rewards.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
And this is for 'kids' up to 30 yrs old. Since when is a 30 year old considered a kid?

They have had many years in which to become a legal citizen and chose not to.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Source

They get 3million back in funding. It has also cost us millions in free schooling alone through the years for these kids.

www.cbsnews.com...$3m-program-for-young-immigrants/?tag=mncol;lst;1

top topics

<<   2 >>

join