It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warning: Get off Facebook right now!

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Facebook has had a longer run than I expected. Myspace fell off pretty quickly, while Facebook doesn't seem to have any real competition. Google Plus hasn't really taken off.

That said, without competition Facebook has a lot more power over the population than we have over Facebook. People need to be careful that this doesn't get out of hand. privacy concerns are the biggest issue.
edit on 17-8-2012 by BailSnail because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Regardless of how valid this thread is, being that it came from Alex Jones, I'm glad I deleted my Facebook permanently a long time ago, none of that deactivate B.S. All this talk of the Government, etc isn't really the problem. The problem is civilians like you and me tracking your every move, regardless of privacy settings. Employers, future employers, past employers, dis-communicated family members, stalkers, etc. There are far too many people that can access just about everything you do. Police can get access to your private messages, etc. Not to mention the fact that it would be much easier for someone in power to gain access to your Facebook to watch your every move rather than use government programs/utilities to do it. Plus, there's probably no record of them ever accessing your life via Facebook.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I don't want to go out and shop and get "special deals".

They must be crazy if that was their selling point.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   

edit on 17-8-2012 by anarcha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by anarcha

On the one hand invasion of privacy. On the other, great way to find runaway felons.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
on the related topic, luckily something good came out of the big brother facebook:

cnews.canoe.ca...

BUT it is scary all at the same time.... i'm really not going to continue using facebook after this... lets say you get arrested falsly.... you're rep is ruined either way in your community's eyes.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ascensyon

I wonder if the Fb staff get themselves off from reading other people's dirty sex talk via messages.... Not by the inappropriate ones,of course.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

Fb caused people to be socially inept.

*giggles*

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I never understood why people need to attach their face to what they say on the internet. To me, thats like spray painting a wall (graffiti) and then signing your driver license or social security number to it.

really IMO, it is all about the money. The OP states this quite clearly. They are "testing" this new facial recognition software for ad campaigns, to help direct products to you that you already purchase. They already do that with your credit cards. This an additional way to appeal to you for money.

I'll tell you how I know it is really about the money. In a former life I was living outdoors a lot, me and my partner dove in dumpsters and went to flea markets and recycle centers and stuff.

One time, I renewed my license and told them , look I don't have an address. You cannot get a license without an address. They need to connect all your driving activity with a place they can find you at. No address, no lisence. I gave them my parents.

One time, I was denied access to a flea market because I did not have a resale number. When I went downtown and applied I told them look, I don't have an address. No address, no resale number, no flea market. Bridge number 2270 wasn't good enough.

One time, me and my partner were each caught with a small amount of personal herbage. I gave my drivers license as ID, he insisted he had no ID and said he was transient. The cops did not like that, but still issued him a ticket. The day I had to got court for it, he was not even on the docket. His ticket was squashed by the system. Mine was a 300 dollar fine. They won't waste time with paperwork and court costs if they can't find you. They don't care if you are a good citizen or not. It was about the friggin money and nothing else.

They want you to break the law. The more you do, the more money they get back in fines. The more taxes the state gets for anything you sell. If you dont show up to pay taxes or fines, they issue warrants, increase the amount of fines and track you down. The more connecting info you have with your name, the easier it is to find you and take you for more money.

Unpaid bills? Back taxes? Too many tickets? Bench warrant? They love you. You are a "good" good citizen. Once the system has you it will never let you go. If you hide from the system by flying below the radar, then you are not an "earner" and therefore an "undesirable."

This was a long time ago, before the current trend in technology. Just my opinion on how they want to track you so they can collect. Always the dollars.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by chemistry

I agree. So many people fit the same description and have similar facial features. I know this because I look like so many other women who fit my basic facial profile. I don't believe that they can isolate the specific characteristics of one face that well yet. There are millions of people with brown eyes and brown hair who fit the same profile.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Facebook was definately created for a reason.. to keep tabs on us. They have BUZZ WORDS, so will look into all messages containing certain words. I have a business account on facebook, i dont use it personally although i do get 99% of my work from there so i cannot delete it.. And i admit, once a day for approx 5mins i'll zip down the home screen to have a nosey and some people are writing stuff like 'oh f&%k it who wants to buy some drugs' how stupid but this is what people do and i think thats why it has been created! TPTB can keep track on my inboxes and figure out how much work i am recieving so i cant fiddle the taxman or something.. My brother inboxes his friend telling him websites to get illegal knives shipped into the country.. a girl on my homepage has her kids removed from her care as she was an alcoholic and the kids were in danger, she was told to stop drinking and get rid of her boyfriend that hits her and yet all she talks about on her homepage is getting drunk, going to raves (and we all know what people do at rave events) and now she is engaged to the man who brays her....... She is at court in October, i very much doupt she will get her children back as the child services will be reading her whole wall and making a decision from that!!!

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by PatrickxJonathan
Regardless of how valid this thread is, being that it came from Alex Jones, I'm glad I deleted my Facebook permanently a long time ago, none of that deactivate B.S. All this talk of the Government, etc isn't really the problem. The problem is civilians like you and me tracking your every move, regardless of privacy settings. Employers, future employers, past employers, dis-communicated family members, stalkers, etc. There are far too many people that can access just about everything you do. Police can get access to your private messages, etc. Not to mention the fact that it would be much easier for someone in power to gain access to your Facebook to watch your every move rather than use government programs/utilities to do it. Plus, there's probably no record of them ever accessing your life via Facebook.

You know I disagree with many of the tactics used by law enforcement as much as the next guy here on ATS, I think it's not purposely in an effort to be a complete jerk, but instead their tactics arise out of fear. Truly there are officers that are not the most upstanding people, but at the same time some of the officers that end up on the news having beat the stuffing out of someone aren't as bad as they might appear. They deal with dishonest unruly people on a daily basis and really I think sometimes they just plain snap, it can happen to anyone. I remember when I worked as a help-desk technician I was called every name in the book and one time I simply snapped at someone. I mean this was on the phone so it wasn't like I pulled out a stick and beat someone up, but I was quite rude. Luckily he called back and I had the chance to apologize, I was also trying to quit smoking that day

Anyway I think that police officers and the like have to deal with quite a bit and after all the lies and BS they have to sift through, well they are human after all and that just weighs on a persons psyche. Again I completely disagree with the invasion of privacy that goes on, but like I said I think it's in an effort to combat something that so far we, as a community, have not been able to solve. There are people out there that wish to cause harm and there are those that would like to stop that harm from happening beforehand if at all possible, serve and protect you know. In my opinion the solution to the problem lies not in brute force or deceptive tactics, which I think really lowers one to the level of their enemy, but in the study and understanding of why a person desires to cause harm.

I think that instances such as mass shootings are a sign or red flag indicating that we have some issues in the way that we run our daily lives as a society which bring about hatred. People are not born monsters, I think they become monsters as they grow, beaten and degraded emotionally by their parents and teachers and peers until eventually they just can't take it anymore. This is why we have the phrase "going postal." That man clearly was not happy with his life and it would seem that he blamed his discontent on other people, not anyone specific, but just other people. I think that he may not have been all together wrong in his assessment, but he certainly could've found a better way to voice his discontent. The manner in which society treats people and the things that society demands of people work well for some and they succeed, but there are those that simply don't fit into societies idea of an honest working individual. Those who we've left behind and made no provisions for educationally or professionally will become angered after having been deemed undesirable by society at large. They will take this anger out, sometimes in a very violent manner. To me it is not that we need to become just as deceptive as the "enemy" in an attempt to stop them from terrorizing, but that we need to understand them and make attempts as a whole, not just law enforcement or politicians, but all of us need to work on preventing there from being enemies.

Yes it is true that I disagree with the deceptive tactics employed by law enforcement, but I understand that many of them desire to help and I respect that. When I encounter an officer, and I have, I do my best to lessen the amount of anger they might have by not being a complete jerk towards them. Again, I do disagree, but really we have similar goals, just a difference in opinion on how best to obtain those goals.

Edit: By the way I often 'disobey' orders given by police, but I do my best to respectfully disobey

edit on 17-8-2012 by Symbiot because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I always thought Facebook was trying way to hard to get into peoples personal lives.

they have a thing where you post where you are. its so weird.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Please join us tonight on ATS LIVE RADIO where we will be discussing this topic! Please visit THIS THREAD for the schedule of topics!

We would love to have you call in and voice your opinion regardless of what it is!

ATS Live Is Broadcasting * Today @ 9:00 PM EST

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I have 3 fake Facebook accts. They got nothing on me, not even the gov't can trace me through Facebook. heh, heh

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I'm a Facebook addict. As a musician I find it handy to advertise concerts and shows. As many friends and family live overseas, I find it a wonderful tool for keeping in touch with them. I suspect most of what the OP has said has already been happening in various social media sites.

Some simple tips on how to use it wisely.

Provide only information you want people to know. Don't post your address or telephone number.
You can hide your personal information from public search engines.
Keep your profile closed so that the general public can't browse your profile without adding you as a friend.
Limit the amount of friends you have on facebook - I have 66 friends and all but one, I have met in person.
Be smart about what you post on your timeline.
Don't tag or post photos of your friends without permission.
Do update your passwords and security settings often to prevent hackers from thieving your information.

Follow these rules and you will have a better chance of keeping your information safe.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

The Facebook camera that can recognise you every time you walk into a shop

Could be used by shops to offer discounts to customers

System already being trialled in Nashville shops and bars

Users must sign up to take part and 'teach' system what they look like

Shoppers could soon be automatically recognised when they walk into a shop using a controversial new camera.
Called Facedeals, the camera uses photos uploaded to Facebook to recognise people as they walk in.
Shoppers who agree to use the system, which has not been developed with Facebook, will be offered special deals

lol ..if that's the case then my dog has stole my identity and is currently getting discount in pets world

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Facial recognition is now endemic throughout the world, except in the remote and inaccessible spots beyond civilization. No one should be fearful of something that is designed to identify criminals and others who represent a threat to society and its members.

What everyone is unaware of is that these facial identification programs can be used to identify visual identification marks that cannot be seen or observed by the human eye. We are developers of this particular software and it is designed to scan the faces in three frequencies of light to ascertain if their exists identifying marks that are not perceptible to human eyesight.

On our YouTube channel a short video that reveals the research and asks the question: "What Would You Do?"
The facial identification systems will reveal more than an individuals identity, and this video demonstrates the 26-years of optical research, and evaluation of recognized science, history, and religious references that provide everyone answers to what these hidden identification marks mean.

The Marks of Mankind will be released before September 2012, and will provide everyone the ability to use a camera or cellphone to produce evidence of these marks on their person and can be reviewed for relevancy and truth.

Their is more to the facial recognition software used in these public systems, and everyone should be aware that their purpose is not only to identify individuals; but to also assess their potential threat to their communities and the citizens.

Consider the benefits that anyone who is listed in their system as wanted will be quickly identified and apprehended to remove any potential threat. Businesses who experience high-rates of crime will be able to quickly identify individuals who are marked for their evil deeds; and allow close scrutiny as they travel around the business.

This is an inevitable progression of technology and the uncertain times in which everyone lives; and an impossible point of protest, because of the increase in crime and danger to children, women, and the elderly.

When a criminal knows that they will be identified before they commit an illegal act; they will be more likely to avoid immediate detection, and realize that their way of life is unsustainable. Many people will be curious to find out their own condition, and learn to address it with solutions available from family counselors or the research investigation results.

You can view the video on our YouTube project website at: youtu.be...

Make Your Own Decision, or maybe a friend needs convincing that the new age is fast approaching and the continued life of crime and evil cannot be hidden from everyone who can see-especially face-recognition systems

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by augustday

Who determines what is and what is not a criminal? Will witches be detected by these cameras and burned at the stake? History shows that humanity has never once been able to appropriately determine the difference between good and evil.

Democracy? Will the masses vote on what is and what is not a crime? I believe the 'witches' in the Salem witch trials were pointed out and tried by their peers.
edit on 19-8-2012 by Symbiot because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Oh God, I knew this was going to happen! I knew when i cracked open that fortune cookie on that facebook app! "The Anti-Christ will take over Face-Book, THEN THE WORLD!" i think it was in the bible too! [;-] )

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join