It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warning: Get off Facebook right now!

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by pikestaff
I think I am totally out of step with the rest of the world, not on any social site apart from this one, and two hobby sites, no cell phone, no idiot pad, no blueberry, no store cards, go to bed when I feel like it, get up when I feel like it, eat when I feel like it, watch what I want to watch on the idiot box, no soaps, no games, no sport, ( I must admit one failure, watching desperate housewives). I watch science and history mostly, plus comedies! do I exist I wonder?

You are a perfect candidate for the re-education camps. Resistance is futile!

edit on 8/16/2012 by Sparky63 because: (no reason given)

I just saw some suggestions to nationalize Facebook.
www.slate.com...

Few of us fully understand Facebook’s privacy policy, much less keep track of changes. People are sharing more personal information on Facebook than they think they are. And for every dozen Facebook users in the United States, one does not use privacy settings—either because that person doesn’t care or doesn’t know enough about how the privacy settings can be used.

edit on 8/16/2012 by Sparky63 because: added comment

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I never have and never will join up to any social networking site where my whole life is practically public domain plus its not really beneficial to do so in my line of work and I've never understood why people who do the same or similar would even consider putting a profile up. Anyway, I've said from day one its just a central data base where any and all can find out anything and I mean anything about individual(s), those passwords and security profile settings mean nothing, believe me. If for example, the old bill want to look at your profile they will and they can. Sure they have to go through procedure and protocol, but I've never known it to be denied.

May be if your sensible and not put up personal info and use it basically in a glorified twitter fashion, then its fine, anyone who has hundreds of photos and personal info galore are asking for trouble. Both legal and illegal operations can infiltrate those profiles, regardless of how secure you think they are, so if you haven't got one spying on you, you've got one carbon copying you.

Recipe for disaster!

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
LET THEM WATCH!!!...MAYBE THEY LL LEARN A THING OR TWO THAT ARE WORTH OTHER THAN GET IN OTHER PEOPLE BUSINESS,AFTER ALL THEY ARE PEOPLE TOO!!!JEJEJEJEJE......

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Facebook has changed the way in which humans interact with each other, as well as, changed the way we share and express ourselves on-line. If the gov or some company wants to track me they are more than welcome to try. It does not matter how much they track me, I can always say no to whatever they offer me. I walk into a shop and already know a few things about me and offer me something I don`t want to buy, I can simply say no thanks. As far as the gov. using my FB info to build a profile on me...well...if you are not on a list then you are not doing enough to resist the system.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
The simple fact that George Soros has positioned himself nicely with Facebook stock should raise anyone's eyebrow when other investors would not touch Facebook. Today is a big day for FB shareholders.

Details of Soros' odd investment choices. ODD!!

Currency speculator and billionaire philanthropist George Soros’ most recent 13-F report reveals two very intriguing facts:

1) He has abandoned his stake in major financials

2) He holds thousands of shares of Facebook stock

“Soros completely dumped his stakes in Citigroup (420,000 shares), JP Morgan (701,400 shares) and Goldman Sachs (120,000 shares), leaving him with no position in any major financials at all,” writes Business Insider’s Linette Lopez.

He also ditched tech stocks: “He got rid of minor stakes in Dell (3,100) and Intel (10,600).”

And as for his position in Facebook, Soros owns 341,000 shares.

www.theblaze.com...

Plenty of people are asking why and now FB announces this new facial recognition scheme....

Related
www.theblaze.com...

“With so many users the Facebook business is enormous but the big question is whether they can monetise that audience,” said Motley Fool analyst Scott Philips. “Clearly Soros thinks they can.”

The move comes as Facebook yesterday started putting advertiser posts on users’ newsfeeds in a bid to generate more advertising revenue.

Expect Wal Mart to be on board with this new FB special offer/facial recog. idea as well..

Filings also reveal Soros upped his stake in US retail giant Wal-Mart to 4.8 million shares, worth $337 million.

finance.ninemsn.com.au...

Told you today was going to be a big day for FB.

Stock plunged as low as $19.69 already. Not sure where it will close. Wonder what Soros did??

Today was the end of FB's lockup period for those biggies who got in early.

Investors have been concerned about Facebook's ability to keep increasing revenue and make money from its growing mobile audience, even as many analysts hold positive long-term views.

Those eligible to sell stock on Thursday were the investors and directors who had participated in the May IPO. The exception was CEO Mark Zuckerberg, who will be ineligible until November. Microsoft Corp., an early Facebook investor, was eligible to sell, though it was unlikely to do so because of partnerships it has with the social network.

Lock-up periods prevent insiders from unloading shares too close to an IPO and can help prevent volatility that might occur if too many shareholders decide to sell a newly traded stock all at once. They generally start to expire 90 days after a stock makes its public debut. Thursday marked 90 days since Facebook's began trading publicly on May 18.

Facebook Inc.'s stock traded as low as $19.69 before bouncing back to $20 in midday trading Thursday. That's still nearly 6 percent down, or $1.20, from Wednesday's close and about 48 percent below its initial public offering price of $38. If the stock hits $19, it will have lost half its value since Facebook went public in May.

By noon, nearly 100 million shares had traded - more than three times the average volume on a full day.

hosted.ap.org...

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by chemistry

Look at that FB stock

Hope it goes down to 0. Useless SIGINT crap.
edit on 16-8-2012 by modsrdicks because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Well no surprise Facebook will use face racognition... The NSA already listens to any foreign and domestic phone conversation they want to...not to mention your Emails and post on the internet...even right here at ATS...Well i do have a problem with this...say one of your friends post a pic with you in it...im sure you will be in there date base as well if your not already...You might as well go to your local police booking and let them photo and finger print you...but i would say now they know were you shop were you socialize and with whom and any place you visit...the next step is in your home...even your bedroom

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lagrimas
Perhaps you people who are scared of Facebook and scared of big brother have got something to hide??

Every decent person care about personal integrity, so in effect, everybody's got something to hide.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Personally, I use facebook to keep in contact with friends and family. I am not concerned if a store's camera recognizes my face and tells me what I like and if its on sale and that I get a discount on that item. Now what does concern me is if someone with a criminal record in say, retail theft, got facial recognized. Would security be alerted and that person if followed around the store because he/she is a known criminal? That would be discrimination, and what corporation would do that! *Sarcasm*
edit on 16-8-2012 by johnosal because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-8-2012 by johnosal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myomistress
I'm sorry, but I don't get what your problem is with facial recognition when entering stores? That is a GOOD thing. If faces are recognized whenever a person enters a shopping establishment it is a faster and easier way to catch burglars and other criminals that are at large. If they're recognized within a store especially if they're trying to rob again, the police may be called upon sooner and criminal can be caught much much sooner. It's about security and keeping the public and businesses safe, not to invade your privacy. Besides, as you stated, people can either opt in or out so what's the problem? It's voluntary.

You're right! It is good! And, when I'm in power, and I assure you someday I will be, I will use it to subordinate people who are terrorists because they are politically opposed to what I know is right for the collective; and that is to say that the collective knows what's best for the collective, that's why the collective will have put me in charge! I will make sure that anyone blacklisted will be Jim Crowed right out of every place of collective business, which is every place! Wonderful. I'm so glad this technology will be ready when I rise to power.

And, you are right again, it is voluntary! It's not like someone who doesn't have a FaceBook account will have friends who do, who would in turn upload a picture and tag a name to the image of the person with out an account. That has never happened and will never happen. Trust me.

Also, to those who do not have FaceBook; you are safe. It's not like there would ever be a get together discussed on FaceBook and the following happens:

Katie Replies: "Hey Jim hasn't replied, oh that's right he doesn't have FaceBook. Does anyone know if Jim will be there Sunday?"

George Replies: "Yeah, I know, he's so paranoid about his privacy, anyway he won't be going. He'll be in Dallas for a Defense Contractors convention all weekend. His wife Linda will be home alone though, we should give her a call."

That would never happen, and a person like Katie would never have like 500 friends most of which she barely knows if at all that can read the thread, one of which knows where Jim lives and has a knack for getting hard on jollies robbing and raping. This could never happen. Ever. I swear.

Signed,
Stalin I. Coming

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
They are going to use those facial recognition to be use on Terminator skins.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Facebook has ruined my chances of ever getting a decent job. Now employers know I don't like working and hate to be ordered around. I guess I should not have been so honest on there. Honesty will get your in more trouble on the internet than in other social circles.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by GenerationGap

In a society where the people must rely on laws to define the boundary lines of the moral and immoral, one man's freedom today is undoubtedly another man's crime tomorrow. With out a very disciplined and ingrained philosophy in the people of what responsibility to liberty means, the technology we advance today will with no uncertainty become the shackles of the society's future.

The philosophic idea of "you are free so long as", had been a foreign concept in North America for nearly 180 years, but here we are now. We have made the necessary progress to where people now hold the reality that an individual is free so long as he pays his taxes, he's free so long as he carries insurance, he is free so long as he let's us feel his genitals, he is free so long as he posses a permit. And those conditions on what it takes for a man to be granted freedom are quickly picking up steam and making more progress faster than ever. This progressive experiment, that a society won't realize the temperature in the water is warmer than it used to be until it begins to boil, is reaching it's critical crest. The progress towards the boiling point has been so slow that the society has stayed in the pot, and one day it will be brought to boil; and the people who view that time in history will wonder, "How did they ever let this happen?", but only if they are free enough to know it. Our Grandparents, and parents, lived through the raising temperatures . The middle aged Generation X will get to experience the forward progress to the boiling point, and their children will be the first to really feel the burn.

Welcome to the GenerationGap.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
IF YOU delete your facebook can they still access your photos?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Back in June of 2012 after taking photos at the Orion Music Festival, I started to upload photos to Facecrack and noticed the Facial Recognition software in full use at that time... The photos were ready to be tagged with squares around the people that I am friends with that were in the photo but then at the same time, it asked me who other faces were and if I knew them and if so, then tag them. I didn't accept the tagging and just went on posting as it's an easy way to share with family and friends.

I have to agree with other posters though, if you don't like it, don't use it.
If you don't like being spied on... well... you might be out of luck there.
I don't like Facecrack but have to use it because of websites that I maintain that want to use it as a means to get the word out more about their company/organization. So I just use it to the fullest and became a developer on it as well. Which in turn allows me to keep up with the agreements and privacy issues to help warn others or whatever.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by 23rdChakra

Your Facebook accounts are still on the server for upto 15 Years.
It takes 2 weeks to delete your account (per say).
If during those two weeks you log in, the deletion process is canceled and you have to restart your process over again. If after the 2 weeks passes and you try to log in to your account it will notify you that you deleted it and that they will be more than happy to reinstate it as it prior to the deletion process

edit on 8/16/2012 by wyldwylly because: clarity

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
Facebook has ruined my chances of ever getting a decent job. Now employers know I don't like working and hate to be ordered around. I guess I should not have been so honest on there. Honesty will get your in more trouble on the internet than in other social circles.

You do know it's against the EULA to give employers or anyone for that matter access to your account, right?

And that you never should give your employer friendship rights... I mean you shouldn't anyway, I gave my boss a friend request but I placed him in a special category that never sees anything I post unless I allow it.
edit on 8/16/2012 by wyldwylly because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Thank You, Sir! I deleted my facebook just last week now I can rest in peace and never look back!

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Never posted my face on there, and don't have to get off facebook - FB is going down the tubes as we speak.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
This does not surprise me at all, the mass control limits just get bigger and bigger. The stuff the OP mentioned about satellites tracking us and it all being linked to Facebook, is something I consider a high possibility for the future.

I really need to deactivate my profile.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join