It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warning: Get off Facebook right now!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+42 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
It is official: Facebook has gone crazy! Check this out:

Facebook is bringing one of its long-term vendors, a facial-recognition technology company Face.com, in-house.
The Israeli company's technology helps people tag photos on the Web by figuring out who is in the pictures.
The deal bolsters one of Facebook's most popular features - the sharing and handling of photos - but the use of the startup's technology has spurred concerns about user privacy.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

As if that wasn't enough, look at what they plan to do with this Face-recognition stuff:

The Facebook camera that can recognise you every time you walk into a shop

Could be used by shops to offer discounts to customers

System already being trialled in Nashville shops and bars

Users must sign up to take part and 'teach' system what they look like

Shoppers could soon be automatically recognised when they walk into a shop using a controversial new camera.
Called Facedeals, the camera uses photos uploaded to Facebook to recognise people as they walk in.
Shoppers who agree to use the system, which has not been developed with Facebook, will be offered special deals

www.dailymail.co.uk...

But wait, it gets even crazier:

Facebook has become such a pervasive force in modern society that increasing numbers of employers, and even some psychologists, believe people who aren’t on social networking sites are ‘suspicious.’
The German magazine Der Taggspiegel went so far as to point out that accused theater shooter James Holmes and Norwegian mass murder Anders Behring Breivik have common ground in their lack of Facebook profiles

www.infowars.com...

And here is some icing to add to this already heavily-encrusted cake:

Citing the need to watch for potential sex offenders, Facebook is using software that tracks private conversations for suspicious behavior and keywords before alerting Facebook employees who then decide whether to pass the information on to police.

The revelation was divulged during a Reuters interview with the social networking giant’s Chief Security Officer Joe Sullivan.

Despite the article acknowledging the fact that Internet-related sex crimes against children are on the decrease, the story cites a barrage of cases where children have been groomed online before revealing that Facebook “users could be unnerved about the extent to which their conversations are reviewed, at least by computer programs.”

www.infowars.com...

Do I need to say anything else? Facebook is Big Brother, plain and simple. If you do not delete your account now, then prepare for the next phase of the New World Order's hellish plan: microchipping everyone and linking it all in with Facebook, Face recognition and a global spy-satellite GPS network. Sounds crazy? It is, but it is real.

+45 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Again? This literally JUST got 404'd

Don't like facebook don't use it. complaining about features you have to opt into is silly.

Despite the article acknowledging the fact that Internet-related sex crimes against children are on the decrease, the story cites a barrage of cases where children have been groomed online before revealing that Facebook “users could be unnerved about the extent to which their conversations are reviewed, at least by computer programs.”

Stop and think for a second. That's just facebook. The NSA has direct access to the telephone system the internet runs on, why bother with 1 site when they have access to ALL traffic.

Take a break from infowars, it will do you good

Do I need to say anything else? Facebook is Big Brother, plain and simple. If you do not delete your account now, then prepare for the next phase of the New World Order's hellish plan: microchipping everyone and linking it all in with Facebook, Face recognition and a global spy-satellite GPS network. Sounds crazy? It is, but it is real.

Facebook only has access to what you give it, nothing more. Besides, I bet in 5 years time, people will scratch their heads when you say facebook.

Remember myspace? Exactly.

edit on 15-8-2012 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Soon there wont be an option to opt in! And do you really think that Facebook bosses care if you opt in or not? The technology will be used no matter what your preferences are.

I know people who are literally trapped in Facebook! They feel thay cannot delete their account because they will upset too many people close to them.

It is becoming crazy.
edit on 15-8-2012 by chemistry because: clarity

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I posted it in the thread that got 404ed already:

Why reposting again and again?
www.abovetopsecret.com...
and many more!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by chemistry

Oh I get that completely. I use it to keep in contact with friends and family all over the world. I'm not worried about it because I only provide information I wouldn't care who saw anyways. And facebook is well know for "accidentally" changing your settings or opting you into things.

As i tried to post on the other thread, google+ has facial recognition software you can opt into for posting images. Not crying about that?

I thought google was big brother.

As well, you can't delete your account. You can "close it" and you have the option of letting people still see it or not, but it's not gone, the second you type that email address back into facebook, it loads your profile and welcomes you back, with all your content in tact.

Don't want "them" to see it? don't post it.

But again, this is 1 site, a failing site at that, while the NSA has direct access to the network. you are complaining about the shoelace while ignoring the boot.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
glad i have never signed up

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I detest Social Media, obviously i utilize a few select Message Forums, such as this, but apart from that, i detest Social Media,

it makes the population conformist sheep,

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

Facebook only has access to what you give it, nothing more. Besides, I bet in 5 years time, people will scratch their heads when you say facebook.

WRONG. Facebook has access to what you, your friends and an increasing number of applications give it.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I wonder if the Supreme Court would determine an individual mandate for Facebook is constitutional?

Plus if you have ever put a photo or comment on FB you agree they have fair use privileges so even if you were to deactivate and delete said photos/comments, FB still has a right to access that data.

I personally deactivated the same day of FB’s IPO, but haven’t gotten around to deleting everything , because its moot and I am lazy.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

If "big brother" wants to know my score on draw something or words with friends, by all means, have at it.

What exactly are you concerned about? Facial recognition? you do realize that technology sucks completely right? simply wearing glasses screws it up, smiling screws it up, bad angles screw it up. Without a biometric scan, it's really not that reliable.

I'd be more concerned with what the israeli company would do with it than facebook.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ConspiracyBuff

I personally deactivated the same day of FB’s IPO, but haven’t gotten around to deleting everything , because its moot and I am lazy.

Good luck. I believe you have to contact them directly to delete it, as all i could do was close it and make it unavailable, but all of it is still there if you accidentally log in again.

Plus if you have ever put a photo or comment on FB you agree they have fair use privileges so even if you were to deactivate and delete said photos/comments, FB still has a right to access that data.

I believe they got in some trouble over using posted and profile images for targeting ads.

I guess my main issue with this is I read and understood the terms, each time they changed, and knew exactly what to expect. I don't see why everyone is so surprised over stuff that's been in the T&C the whole damn time.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Facebook is not Big Brother, because you can close your Facebook account and not have anything to do with them. Big Brother, or more specifically, an Authoritarian Oligarchy such as the one being created in America, can not be avoided regardless of what you do.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

If "big brother" wants to know my score on draw something or words with friends, by all means, have at it.

What exactly are you concerned about? Facial recognition? you do realize that technology sucks completely right? simply wearing glasses screws it up, smiling screws it up, bad angles screw it up. Without a biometric scan, it's really not that reliable.

I'd be more concerned with what the israeli company would do with it than facebook.

Are you serious??? I mean, really!!! The extent of the facial recognition technology is far more advanced than most people realise. Wearing glasses, smiling and bad angles will certainly not screw it up, trust me!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by chemistry
WRONG. Facebook has access to what you, your friends and an increasing number of applications give it.

Every application has it's own privacy policy that you either agree to and use or don't agree and don't use. Although controlling all of your information online is proving more and more difficult, it can be accomplished. Facebook is no doubt pushing many privacy issues but in reality it isn't just Facebook, Google etc., it is everything you do online. Law enforcement, ISP etc. all have access to information when they want/need it.

If you are truly concerned for your privacy online just do yourself a favor an just unplug now.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
Facebook is not Big Brother, because you can close your Facebook account and not have anything to do with them. Big Brother, or more specifically, an Authoritarian Oligarchy such as the one being created in America, can not be avoided regardless of what you do.

Great. Thanks for the good news. Guess we should just kneel down and love our servitude, right? Like we have been doing for aeons.

When you close your Facebook account, Facebook keeps your information indefinately. However, by closing your account you can prevent more information from accumalting at the NWO storehouse.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Perhaps you people who are scared of Facebook and scared of big brother have got something to hide??

I for one am not afraid. Not of facebook. Not of my government. Not of the police.

Let them watch me, they'll find out that I like conspiracy and that I'm suspicious as hell. Well good!

Might give them something to think about, and if NWO ever arrives on my door step I'll be part of the resistance so they'll find out who we (the good people) are when they go all Nazi on our ass.

Woop de doop. Facebook is fine. Bring on the face recognized discounts.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lagrimas
Perhaps you people who are scared of Facebook and scared of big brother have got something to hide??

I for one am not afraid. Not of facebook. Not of my government. Not of the police.

Let them watch me, they'll find out that I like conspiracy and that I'm suspicious as hell. Well good!

Might give them something to think about, and if NWO ever arrives on my door step I'll be part of the resistance so they'll find out who we (the good people) are when they go all Nazi on our ass.

Okay, great! So let's put a camera in your living room. Let's put face-recognition camera's on very lamp post in your street.

Would you be okay with that?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

The extent of the facial recognition technology is far more advanced than most people realise. Wearing glasses, smiling and bad angles will certainly not screw it up, trust me!

No. Biometric facial scans are able to get past stuff like that, when working from a single 2D image, it's actually increasingly hard to get a reliable facial map.

But hey, I'm just a guy who trained with 3d software doing 3d facial maps from real people to 3d models. So obviously I have no clue what I'm talking about.

Also, those apps, like the ones on your phone or what not, you agree to their terms, and then you can block them from seeing or doing anything, that's what I do at least, link it to facebook, then deny it access to anything but my contacts list.

AGain though, the entire internet is tapped, who cares about a single site with dwindling userbase?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I agree that people need to stop being scared rabbits and stand up and speak loud and clear about what they really think. How does a computer program suddenly appear on your property and watch you come and go from your house? Though I think the Google Earth can already do that, can't it? I can see if they're patching it into store cameras and their computer programs governing it, that this could work when you enter a store.

I also believe what is being done here, they already have the technology for, and have done all along.

I believe also the remedy to all of this is that we actually start to grow some (courage) and stand up and be counted, rotating shifts of a general strike and no we aren't going home and no we're not settling for their lies. But, it should be in all our local areas, surrounding our local representatives offices so people dont have to travel and camp out in tents. OWs was not done right. And it had no idea of what it was about. It should be about everyone, no matter waht your beliefs, right, left and inbetween, all desiring a better world without ISMS, and corrutpion, and kings ruling us, (you vote for 1 of 2 or 3 liars and they rule you), but equal, abundant and free.

We have to stop exploiting other countries too.

We have zillions of issues that all need to be addressed, this should have happened long ago.

But speaking up on forums and facebook where they monitor you, is important. They need to be told, what is what.

But I would be more careful about language, not say violent and aggressive things anyway.

Of course another battle that should already have been won for the people is: who in their right mind gives their employer their facebook password or email password, that is private and is of no concern to them whatsoever, and its highly illegal and abusive of them to expect they have a right to your privacy and friends and family. They have a right to some info about schooling, jobs, and abilities and references. THAT IS IT. That is what a resume is for.

Stop bending over.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lagrimas

Why is it when someone doesn't like something that they are "scared"? I simply don't use Facebook because I don't have this psychological need to talk about how great I am and promote myself. Why would anyone care what kind of sandwich I just ate and need to see yet another self-taken picture. Don't get me wrong - I really don't care if people have this need to keep taking pictures of themselves making the dumb duck lips face and posting it daily - it's just not for me. I'm usually a little bit too busy living in the "real world"...well except for my ATS time and the little bit of time I spend buying useless crap on E-Bay. I still don't really think anything less of people who do things that I am just too much of an old fart to "get". It's just their thing and not mine. Neither me nor them are "right" or "wrong" - just different preferences and for me, Facebook is boring.

I'm sure that even so, if the government goons feel some need to track me - even though I'm fairly boring - they don't need social media to do it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join